Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX What is the limitation in AIX? Post 302803833 by System Admin 77 on Tuesday 7th of May 2013 02:02:26 PM
Old 05-07-2013
IBM What is the limitation in AIX?

Hi All,

i got few questions...

1) What is the maximum number of files that we can save under a single directory in AIX ? (* we have enough storage/disk space)

2) And what is the maximum number of sub - directories in side a directory?
I know that...every directory is a (special) file...so if i get answer for my 1st qn....it will answer 2nd qn too. * correct me if i'm wrong

Any idea is highly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find limitation

Hi , i'm trying to use "find "command with "-size "option but i encounter 2gb file limitation. Can you confirm this limitation ? Is there a simple way to do the same thing ? My command is : <clazz01g-notes01>/base/base01 # find /base/base01 -name '*.nsf' -size +5242880000c -exec ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP-UX 11i - File Size Limitation And Number Of Folders Limitation

Hi All, Can anyone please clarify me the following questions: 1. Is there any file size limitation in HP-UX 11i, that I can able to create upto certain size of file (say 2 GB) and not more then that???? 2. At max. how many files we can able to keep inside a folder???? 3. How many... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundeep_mohanty
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limitation of ls command

Hi, Iam using an alias to get the file count from one directory using normal ls command like ls file*|wc -l.If my file increases more than 35,000 ,my alias is not working.It shows that arg list too long. is that can be limitation of ls or problem in alias? I would appreciate if anyone can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is this a bug or a limitation?

Hi, I'm having a problem with a while loop syntax that doesn't seem to loop correctly. TODAY=`date +%d%m%Y` while read hostname #for hostname in $(cat $CONFIG) do OUTFILE=/tmp/health_check.$hostname.$TODAY if then touch $OUTFILE func_header else rm $OUTFILE ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilberteu
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX 5.3 : Limitation to 1 telnet session for some users

Hi, I search the way to limit, for a group on a AIX 5.3, one telnet session by user (Simultaneous). I search a lot in /etc/security but the only way found is with the pam authentication that i not use. No solution found also in smit menu... Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feilong
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED on AIX Limitation

Hello, I have a problem running a script created in ksh for Linux (Tested on Debian 5.0, Ubuntu Server 10.04 and RHEL 5.1), it works properly. :b: I trying to pass it to a AIX 5.3. :wall: The problem is the character limit of 256 on a command system and SED. I need to cut the contents of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nemesis.spa
8 Replies

7. AIX

Limitation for SFTP on AIX number of sessions

Hello. I am using AIX 6 and If wish to receive more than 500 files via SFTP, I get some time out errors. Could you please advise where is the limit for number of concurrent transfers setup in AIX Box or what is the limit and can that be changed? Many Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limitation on rm command

Hi all, does any one know ,if there is any limitation on rm command limitation referes here as a size . Ex:when my script try to rum rm command which have size of nearly 20-22 GB ..CPU load gets high ? if anyone know the relation of CPU load and limitation of rm command . (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: niteshagrawal06
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limitation in addition

whats wrong with this addition? Whats the maximum number of digits can be handled? pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ const=201234454654768979799999 pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ let new+=const pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ echo $new -2152890657037557890 pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies

10. AIX

AIX lpar bad disk I/O performance - 4k per IO limitation ?

Hi Guys, I have fresh new installed VIO 2.2.3.70 on a p710, 3 physical SAS disks, rootvg on hdisk0 and 3 VIO clients through vscsi, AIX7.1tl4 AIX6.1tl9 RHEL6.5ppc, each lpar has its rootvg installed on a LV on datavg (hdisk2) mapped to vhost0,1,2 There is no vg on hdisk1, I use it for my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frenchy59
1 Replies
prealloc(1)						      General Commands Manual						       prealloc(1)

NAME
prealloc - preallocate disk storage SYNOPSIS
name size DESCRIPTION
preallocates at least size bytes of disk space for an ordinary file name, creating the file if name does not already exist. The space is allocated in an implementation-dependent fashion for fast sequential reads and writes of the file. fails and no disk space is allocated if name already exists and is not an ordinary file of zero length, if insufficient space is left on disk, or if size exceeds the maximum file size or the file size limit of the process (see ulimit(2)). The file is zero-filled. DIAGNOSTICS
returns one of the following values upon completion: 0 Successful completion. 1 name already exists and is not an ordinary file of zero length. 2 There is insufficient room on the disk. 3 size exceeds file size limits. EXAMPLES
The following example preallocates 50000 bytes for the file WARNINGS
Allocation of file space is highly dependent on current disk usage. A successful return does not indicate how fragmented the file actually might be if the disk is approaching its capacity. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
prealloc(2), ulimit(2). prealloc(1)