Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Recursion in a bash script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Recursion in a bash script Post 302799051 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 25th of April 2013 04:29:52 PM
Old 04-25-2013
Comment on the original code.
You don't make use of $1 parameter so don't need $dir
Indeed you can use the inheritance of the current work directory - but you need to change it before the recursive call.
So do not restore it i.e. do not cd .. (you may but not need to do cd .. afterwards)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion

I'm using the UNIX csh and i wish to use recursion to nav my way up (or down as it is) a given folder. My little test script is called "r" and takes a folder as argv (or $1) #!/bin/tcsh -f set allFiles = `ls -A $argv` cd $argv while ($#allFiles) if (-d... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gsjf
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion too deep

I am running a korn shell script which has a recursive function. The script ran for 117 iterations and ended up with the following error "recursion too deep". what should be done to avert this? Thanks in advance Swamy p.s. I am on UNIX MPRAS V4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamy455
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Help Help in recursion

Hello every body. I am trying to find the factorial using the following code. But it is giving the syntax error. I tried very much but in vain. Thanks in advance for helping me factorial() { if then y=`expr $1 - 1` x=$(( $1 \* factorial $y ))... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
6 Replies

4. Programming

Recursion

I want to halt a tail recursive function after certain validation. I want to come out of entire recursion without unwinding phase. How can i achieve that . The coding is done in C language. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion script problem

Hi Guys,, I tried to create a recursive function in unix. The following is the code. #/bin/sh function(){ n=$1; if ; then out=1; echo "inside if for 0"; else out = `$n * function "$n-1"`; echo "inside if for $n-1; fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to generate Fibonacci series using recursion

I am facing problem with Shell script to generate Fibonacci series using recursion i.e. recursive function. Here is my script: #!/bin/sh fibo() { no=$1 if ; then return 0 elif ; then return 1 else a1=`expr $no - 1` fibo $a1 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapas Bose
10 Replies

7. Programming

C Recursion (explain)

Hi, Question: how come the output is like that? Can explain to me abit. I am learning C. Thanks! #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> void printit(char line_of_char, int index); int main() { char line_of_char; int index = -1; strcpy(line_of_char, "This is a string."); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seede
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script recursion

Can someone please explain me why the following script calls it self recursively: #!/bin/bash echo Called $0 while this not: #!/bin/bash echo Called $($0) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: superpointer
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable recursion

Not sure how to ask this question. I want concatenate strings and variable recursively into new variable. For example: infile01=/dir/subfolder/file01.txt infile02=/dir/subfolder/file02.txt infile03=/dir/subfolder/file03.txt for i in {01..03} do u=${"infile"$i} echo $u doneI got error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
File::NCopy(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  File::NCopy(3pm)

NAME
File::NCopy - Deprecated module. Use File::Copy::Recursive instead. Copy file, file. Copy file[s] | dir[s], dir SYNOPSIS
use File::NCopy qw(copy); copy "file","other_file"; copy "file1","file2","file3","directory"; # we want to copy the directory recursively copy 1,"directory1","directory2"; copy 1,"file1","file2","directory1","file3","directory2","file4", "directory"; # can also use references to file handles, this is for backward # compatibility with File::Copy copy *FILE1,*FILE2; copy *FILE1,"file"; copy "file1",*FILE2; # we don't specify 1 as the first argument because we don't want to # copy directories recursively copy "*.c","*.pl","programs"; copy "*", "backup"; use File::NCopy; # the below are the default config values $file = File::NCopy->new( 'recursive' => 0, 'preserve' => 0, 'follow_links' => 0, 'force_write' => 0, 'set_permission' => &File::NCopy::u_chmod, 'file_check' => &File::NCopy::f_check, 'set_times' => &File::NCopy::s_times, ); set_permission will take two file names, the original to get the file permissions from and the new file to set the file permissions for. file_check takes two parameters, the file names to check the file to copy from and the file to copy to. I am using flock for Unix systems. Default for this is &File::NCopy::f_check. On Unix you can also use &File::NCopy::unix_check. This one compares the inode and device numbers. set_times is used if the preserve attribute is true. It preserves the access and modification time of the file and also attempts to set the owner of the file to the original owner. This can be useful in a script used by root, though enyone can preserve the access and modification times. This also takes two arguments. The file to get the stats from and apply the stats to. On Unix boxes you shouldn't need to worry. On other system you may want to supply your own sub references. $file = File::NCopy->new(recursive => 1); $file->copy "file","other_file"; $file->copy "directory1","directory2"; $file = File::NCopy->new(u_chmod => &my_chmod,f_check => &my_fcheck); $file->copy "directory1","directory2"; DESCRIPTION
File::NCopy::copy copies files to directories, or a single file to another file. You can also use a reference to a file handle if you wish whem doing a file to file copy. The functionality is very similar to cp. If the argument is a directory to directory copy and the recursive flag is set then it is done recursively like cp -R. In fact it behaves like cp on Unix for the most part. If called in array context, an array of successful copies is returned, otherwise the number of successful copies is returned. If passed a file handle, it's difficult to make sure the file we are copying isn't the same that we are copying to, since by opening the file in write mode it gets pooched. To avoid this use file names instead, if at all possible, especially for the to file. If passed a file handle, it is not closed when copy returns, files opened by copy are closed. copy Copies a file to another file. Or a file to a directory. Or multiple files and directories to another directory. Or a directory to another directory. Wildcard arguments are expanded, except for the last argument which should not be expanded. The file and directory permissions are set to the orginating file's permissions and if preserve is set the access and modification times are also set. If preserve is set then the uid and gid will also be attempted to be set, though this may only for for the men in white hats. In list context it returns all the names of the files/directories that were successfully copied. In scalar context it returns the number of successful copies made. A directory argument is considerd a single successful copy if it manages to copy anything at all. To make a directory to directory copy the recursive flag must be set. cp Just calls copy. It's there to be compatible with File::Copy. new If used then you can treat this as an object oriented module with some configuration abilities. recursive If used as an object then you can use this to set the recursive attribute. It can also be set when instantiating with new. The other attributes must all be set when instantiating the object. If it isn't specified then directories are not followed. preserve Attempt to preserve the last modification and access time as well as user and group id's. This is a useful feature for sysadmins, though the access and modification time should always be preservable, the uid and gid may not. follow_links If the link is to a directory and this attribute is true then the directory is followed and recursively copied. Otherwise a link is made to the root directory the link points to. eg. /sys/ is a link to /usr/src/sys/ is a link to /usr/src/i386/sys then the link /sys/ is actually created in the source directory as a link to /usr/src/i386/sys/ rather than /usr/src/sys/ since if the link /usr/src/sys/ is removed then we lost the link even though the directory we originally intended to link to still exists. force_write Force the writing of a file even if the permissions are read only on it. EXAMPLE
See SYNOPSIS. BUGS
When following links the target directory might not exactly the same as the source directory. The reason is that we have to make sure we don't follow circular or dead links. This is really a feature though the result may not quite resemble the source dir, the overall content will be the same. :) From Ken Healy (Version 0.34) On Win32, The use of backslash for paths is required. AUTHOR
Gabor Egressy gabor AT vmunix.com Copyright (c) 1998 Gabor Egressy. All rights reserved. All wrongs reversed. This program is free software; you can redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. Some ideas gleaned from File::Copy by Aaron Sherman & Charles Bailey, but the code was written from scratch. Patch at versions 0.33, and 0.34 added by MZSANFORD. 0.35, 0.36 - Alexandr Ciornii (alexchorny AT gmail.com) perl v5.12.3 2011-06-18 File::NCopy(3pm)