Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Recursion in a bash script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Recursion in a bash script Post 302799035 by mistsong1 on Thursday 25th of April 2013 04:12:01 PM
Old 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
If you make that code a function, it can call itself.

Code:
recurse_directory() {
        local FILE
        for FILE in ./$1/*
        do
                [ -d "$FILE" ] && recurse_directory "./$1/$FILE"
        done
}

recurse_directory ./

Can you explain this code a little bit? I mainly don't get what the "local FILE" line does

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion

I'm using the UNIX csh and i wish to use recursion to nav my way up (or down as it is) a given folder. My little test script is called "r" and takes a folder as argv (or $1) #!/bin/tcsh -f set allFiles = `ls -A $argv` cd $argv while ($#allFiles) if (-d... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gsjf
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion too deep

I am running a korn shell script which has a recursive function. The script ran for 117 iterations and ended up with the following error "recursion too deep". what should be done to avert this? Thanks in advance Swamy p.s. I am on UNIX MPRAS V4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamy455
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Help Help in recursion

Hello every body. I am trying to find the factorial using the following code. But it is giving the syntax error. I tried very much but in vain. Thanks in advance for helping me factorial() { if then y=`expr $1 - 1` x=$(( $1 \* factorial $y ))... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
6 Replies

4. Programming

Recursion

I want to halt a tail recursive function after certain validation. I want to come out of entire recursion without unwinding phase. How can i achieve that . The coding is done in C language. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion script problem

Hi Guys,, I tried to create a recursive function in unix. The following is the code. #/bin/sh function(){ n=$1; if ; then out=1; echo "inside if for 0"; else out = `$n * function "$n-1"`; echo "inside if for $n-1; fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to generate Fibonacci series using recursion

I am facing problem with Shell script to generate Fibonacci series using recursion i.e. recursive function. Here is my script: #!/bin/sh fibo() { no=$1 if ; then return 0 elif ; then return 1 else a1=`expr $no - 1` fibo $a1 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapas Bose
10 Replies

7. Programming

C Recursion (explain)

Hi, Question: how come the output is like that? Can explain to me abit. I am learning C. Thanks! #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> void printit(char line_of_char, int index); int main() { char line_of_char; int index = -1; strcpy(line_of_char, "This is a string."); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seede
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script recursion

Can someone please explain me why the following script calls it self recursively: #!/bin/bash echo Called $0 while this not: #!/bin/bash echo Called $($0) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: superpointer
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable recursion

Not sure how to ask this question. I want concatenate strings and variable recursively into new variable. For example: infile01=/dir/subfolder/file01.txt infile02=/dir/subfolder/file02.txt infile03=/dir/subfolder/file03.txt for i in {01..03} do u=${"infile"$i} echo $u doneI got error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)