Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Recursion in a bash script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Recursion in a bash script Post 302799019 by mistsong1 on Thursday 25th of April 2013 03:59:53 PM
Old 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
You didn't explain what issue that you are facing with your code!

But I noticed that you are missing a do
Code:
for l in $list
do
 if [ -d $l ] ; then

Sorry, the issue is that the code doesn't work as I want it to work. I don't quite understand how to recurse through the directories using a bash script, what the code I posted above does is it dives into the next directory, says it's in there, jumps out, and does it again for the next directory in the list. What it DOESN'T do is, go the extra mile like it's supposed to and recurse through the entire directory tree, like say it finds dir Test/, it dives inside, gets the full path, dives out, then calls itself with Test/ as its calling directory, then it's supposed to find all the dirs in there like Test1/, and repeat the process. I have a hard time explaining things sometimes so forgive me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion

I'm using the UNIX csh and i wish to use recursion to nav my way up (or down as it is) a given folder. My little test script is called "r" and takes a folder as argv (or $1) #!/bin/tcsh -f set allFiles = `ls -A $argv` cd $argv while ($#allFiles) if (-d... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gsjf
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion too deep

I am running a korn shell script which has a recursive function. The script ran for 117 iterations and ended up with the following error "recursion too deep". what should be done to avert this? Thanks in advance Swamy p.s. I am on UNIX MPRAS V4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamy455
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Help Help in recursion

Hello every body. I am trying to find the factorial using the following code. But it is giving the syntax error. I tried very much but in vain. Thanks in advance for helping me factorial() { if then y=`expr $1 - 1` x=$(( $1 \* factorial $y ))... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
6 Replies

4. Programming

Recursion

I want to halt a tail recursive function after certain validation. I want to come out of entire recursion without unwinding phase. How can i achieve that . The coding is done in C language. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion script problem

Hi Guys,, I tried to create a recursive function in unix. The following is the code. #/bin/sh function(){ n=$1; if ; then out=1; echo "inside if for 0"; else out = `$n * function "$n-1"`; echo "inside if for $n-1; fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to generate Fibonacci series using recursion

I am facing problem with Shell script to generate Fibonacci series using recursion i.e. recursive function. Here is my script: #!/bin/sh fibo() { no=$1 if ; then return 0 elif ; then return 1 else a1=`expr $no - 1` fibo $a1 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapas Bose
10 Replies

7. Programming

C Recursion (explain)

Hi, Question: how come the output is like that? Can explain to me abit. I am learning C. Thanks! #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> void printit(char line_of_char, int index); int main() { char line_of_char; int index = -1; strcpy(line_of_char, "This is a string."); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seede
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script recursion

Can someone please explain me why the following script calls it self recursively: #!/bin/bash echo Called $0 while this not: #!/bin/bash echo Called $($0) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: superpointer
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable recursion

Not sure how to ask this question. I want concatenate strings and variable recursively into new variable. For example: infile01=/dir/subfolder/file01.txt infile02=/dir/subfolder/file02.txt infile03=/dir/subfolder/file03.txt for i in {01..03} do u=${"infile"$i} echo $u doneI got error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
Test::UseAllModules(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Test::UseAllModules(3pm)

NAME
Test::UseAllModules - do use_ok() for all the MANIFESTed modules SYNOPSIS
# basic usage use strict; use Test::UseAllModules; BEGIN { all_uses_ok(); } # if you also want to test modules under t/lib use strict; use Test::UseAllModules under => qw(lib t/lib); BEGIN { all_uses_ok(); } # if you have modules that'll fail use_ok() for themselves use strict; use Test::UseAllModules; BEGIN { all_uses_ok except => qw( Some::Dependent::Module Another::Dependent::Module ^Yet::Another::Dependent::.* # you can use regex ) } DESCRIPTION
I'm sick of writing 00_load.t (or something like that) that'll do use_ok() for every module I write. I'm sicker of updating 00_load.t when I add another file to the distro. This module reads MANIFEST to find modules to be tested and does use_ok() for each of them. Now all you have to do is update MANIFEST. You don't have to modify the test any more (hopefully). EXPORTED FUNCTION
all_uses_ok Does Test::More's use_ok() for every module found in MANIFEST. If you have modules you don't want to test, give those modules or some regex rules as the argument. The word 'except' is ignored as shown above. As of 0.11, you can also test modules under arbitrary directories by providing a directory list at the loading time (the word 'under' is ignored as shown above). Modules under the lib directory are always tested. PROTECTED FUNCTION
_get_module_list Returns module paths to test. This function will not be exported. If you want to use this (see below), you always need to call it by the full qualified name. NOTES
As of 0.03, this module calls BAIL_OUT of Test::More if any of the use_ok tests should fail. (Thus the following tests will be ignored. Missing or unloadable modules cause a lot of errors of the same kind.) As of 0.12, you can add extra tests before/after all_uses_ok() if you explicitly declare test plan like this. use strict; use warnings; use Test::More; use Test::UseAllModules; use Test::NoWarnings; plan tests => Test::UseAllModules::_get_module_list() + 1; all_uses_ok(); # and extra nowarnings test SEE ALSO
There're several modules like this on the CPAN now. Test::Compile and a bit confusing Test::LoadAllModules try to find modules to test by traversing directories. I'm not a big fun of them as they tend to find temporary or unrelated modules as well, but they may be handier especially if you're too lazy to update MANIFEST every time. AUTHOR
Kenichi Ishigaki, <ishigaki@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2006 by Kenichi Ishigaki This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.0 2009-05-27 Test::UseAllModules(3pm)