Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Recursion in a bash script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Recursion in a bash script Post 302799011 by mistsong1 on Thursday 25th of April 2013 03:26:24 PM
Old 04-25-2013
Recursion in a bash script

So the problem I am having is recursion with in bash. Specifically the program ideally takes either the current or provided directory, lists out everything in that directory, if it finds another directory the script should call itself and go into that directory. I managed to get it to dive into the next working directory with this code:
Code:
list=`ls`
for l in $list
 if [ -d $l ] ; then
  cd $l
  echo "I'm in $l"
  dir=`pwd`
  cd ../
  bash script.bash $dir
 fi
done

My thinking proccess behind this was that it dives into that directory, states it's in there, gets the full path of that directory and stores it in a variable, get out of that directory to were the bash script is, then passes the created variable into the script. I was hoping that the bash script would then dive into the specified directory and do the same thing but it doesn't sadly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion

I'm using the UNIX csh and i wish to use recursion to nav my way up (or down as it is) a given folder. My little test script is called "r" and takes a folder as argv (or $1) #!/bin/tcsh -f set allFiles = `ls -A $argv` cd $argv while ($#allFiles) if (-d... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gsjf
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion too deep

I am running a korn shell script which has a recursive function. The script ran for 117 iterations and ended up with the following error "recursion too deep". what should be done to avert this? Thanks in advance Swamy p.s. I am on UNIX MPRAS V4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamy455
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Help Help in recursion

Hello every body. I am trying to find the factorial using the following code. But it is giving the syntax error. I tried very much but in vain. Thanks in advance for helping me factorial() { if then y=`expr $1 - 1` x=$(( $1 \* factorial $y ))... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
6 Replies

4. Programming

Recursion

I want to halt a tail recursive function after certain validation. I want to come out of entire recursion without unwinding phase. How can i achieve that . The coding is done in C language. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion script problem

Hi Guys,, I tried to create a recursive function in unix. The following is the code. #/bin/sh function(){ n=$1; if ; then out=1; echo "inside if for 0"; else out = `$n * function "$n-1"`; echo "inside if for $n-1; fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to generate Fibonacci series using recursion

I am facing problem with Shell script to generate Fibonacci series using recursion i.e. recursive function. Here is my script: #!/bin/sh fibo() { no=$1 if ; then return 0 elif ; then return 1 else a1=`expr $no - 1` fibo $a1 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapas Bose
10 Replies

7. Programming

C Recursion (explain)

Hi, Question: how come the output is like that? Can explain to me abit. I am learning C. Thanks! #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> void printit(char line_of_char, int index); int main() { char line_of_char; int index = -1; strcpy(line_of_char, "This is a string."); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seede
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script recursion

Can someone please explain me why the following script calls it self recursively: #!/bin/bash echo Called $0 while this not: #!/bin/bash echo Called $($0) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: superpointer
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable recursion

Not sure how to ask this question. I want concatenate strings and variable recursively into new variable. For example: infile01=/dir/subfolder/file01.txt infile02=/dir/subfolder/file02.txt infile03=/dir/subfolder/file03.txt for i in {01..03} do u=${"infile"$i} echo $u doneI got error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
WHICH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  WHICH(1)

NAME
which - shows the full path of (shell) commands. SYNOPSIS
which [options] [--] programname [...] DESCRIPTION
Which takes one or more arguments. For each of its arguments it prints to stdout the full path of the executables that would have been exe- cuted when this argument had been entered at the shell prompt. It does this by searching for an executable or script in the directories listed in the environment variable PATH using the same algorithm as bash(1). This man page is generated from the file which.texinfo. OPTIONS
--all, -a Print all matching executables in PATH, not just the first. --read-alias, -i Read aliases from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using an alias for which itself. For example alias which='alias | which -i'. --skip-alias Ignore option `--read-alias', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-alias' option in an alias or function for which. --read-functions Read shell function definitions from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using a shell func- tion for which itself. For example: which() { declare -f | which --read-functions $@ } export -f which --skip-functions Ignore option `--read-functions', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-functions' option in an alias or function for which. --skip-dot Skip directories in PATH that start with a dot. --skip-tilde Skip directories in PATH that start with a tilde and executables which reside in the HOME directory. --show-dot If a directory in PATH starts with a dot and a matching executable was found for that path, then print "./programname" rather than the full path. --show-tilde Output a tilde when a directory matches the HOME directory. This option is ignored when which is invoked as root. --tty-only Stop processing options on the right if not on tty. --version,-v,-V Print version information on standard output then exit successfully. --help Print usage information on standard output then exit successfully. RETURN VALUE
Which returns the number of failed arguments, or -1 when no `programname' was given. EXAMPLE
The recommended way to use this utility is by adding an alias (C shell) or shell function (Bourne shell) for which like the following: [ba]sh: which () { (alias; declare -f) | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --read-functions --show-tilde --show-dot $@ } export -f which [t]csh: alias which 'alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot --show-tilde' This will print the readable ~/ and ./ when starting which from your prompt, while still printing the full path when used from a script: > which q2 ~/bin/q2 > echo `which q2` /home/carlo/bin/q2 BUGS
The HOME directory is determined by looking for the HOME environment variable, which aborts when this variable doesn't exist. Which will consider two equivalent directories to be different when one of them contains a path with a symbolic link. AUTHOR
Carlo Wood <carlo@gnu.org> SEE ALSO
bash(1) WHICH(1)