Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Expert opinion on iptables/torrents Post 302798979 by Corona688 on Thursday 25th of April 2013 01:35:45 PM
Old 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMAN_HR
At level7 perhaps?
l7 is a do-anything addon for iptables which connects iptables to usermode software. It's this software which must do the packet analysis.

It's possible but difficult; bittorent is (intentionally) hard to tell apart from ordinary traffic. In response to throttling and censorship, it has become even more so.
Quote:
If I block via l7 all non-standard ports >1024 (ie. allow only 80, 53, 22 etc..)
That is what I had to do eventually. (You don't need l7 to block ports. Plain iptables can do that easily.) It cannot block all torrents but many. It was a sad moment, a final admission of defeat, that I couldn't simply let my customers have what they wanted at all times. Smilie
Quote:
I read somewhere that l7 will not stop encrypted torrents... is that true?
Yes, very difficult. It probably negotiates over https, which customers obviously need to work unimpeded; which once connected can carry whatever it wants without letting you see the contents. This is also how tor hides itself.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Need your help and opinion

Hey all, I'm brand new to Unix/Linux and have a couple of questions. I own a small education/consulting company that has a staff of approx. 50 employees. Most our work is geared towards the office-style environment (i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.). There are also some C and Java programmers... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennie1
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Your Opinion requested

Ladies/Gentlemen, I am looking for a web-based tool to keep track of my Sun inventory. The following list of fields are fields I would like to store: Root Passwd (needs to be secure) / Hostid / Console Port / IP Address / Platform / Application / Hostname . . . you get the point. Do any of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc9456
4 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Opinion

Hi, I am new at this site and at unix. I was reading some answers that the administrators and moderators have posted to others, and sometimes I feel like their a little sarcastic. I am asking just to be patient to me, I know nothing about unix but I do want to learn, and I think that positive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: HN19
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

second opinion on sed script

i'm trying to figure out a script that uses sed, and i'm not totally sure if it does what I think it does. The script... - takes in 3 inputs, $1, $2 are names. $3 is a file. - filename is a file. Here is what I'm trying to figure out: cat $3 | grep "id17" > var2 sed "s|@@.*||g" var2 >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gammaman
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opinion on modification for SMARTMON

Hello, I get the following in one of my error logs: Device /dev/sda, SATA disks accessed via libata are not currently supported by smartmontools. When libata is given an ATA pass-thru ioctl() then an additional '-d libata' device type will be added to smartmontools. --------------- I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
0 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Opinion on modification for SMARTMON

Hello, I get the following in one of my error logs: Device /dev/sda, SATA disks accessed via libata are not currently supported by smartmontools. When libata is given an ATA pass-thru ioctl() then an additional '-d libata' device type will be added to smartmontools. --------------- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Expert Opinion

This perhaps does not belong in ths category; apologies, however, we have a heated debate going and your input will decide the result. Should UNIX (HP, AIX, etc) be rebooted following a monthly cycle (Every month, or a qtr, etc.). We have some UX admins (grumps) who say they have seen a UX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh
6 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Something in my mind - what's your opinion ?

Dear Forum staff / Advisors / members , I am having something in my mind, about Linux / Unix possible Interview questions collections, I guess if I post them here,which might be useful for our members and for students, and in meantime we can discuss also about those questions, what's your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies

9. Android

Problem with torrents and bash script on Android

Please disregard this post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnnybopper
0 Replies
btcopyannounce(1)					      General Commands Manual						 btcopyannounce(1)

NAME
btcopyannounce -- copy torrent announce information to other torrents SYNOPSIS
btcopyannounce source.torrent destination1.torrent [destination2.torrent ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the btcopyannounce command. This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. btcopyannounce copies the "announce" information from the source torrent to all specified destination torrents. SEE ALSO
btreannounce(1), btrename(1), btsethttpseeds(1), btshowmetainfo(1), bittorrent-downloader(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Cameron Dale <camrdale@gmail.com> (based on the original man pages written by Micah Anderson <micah@debian.org>) for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this docu- ment under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. btcopyannounce(1)