Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Expert opinion on iptables/torrents Post 302798971 by darkman_hr on Thursday 25th of April 2013 01:16:30 PM
Old 04-25-2013
At level7 perhaps?
If I block via l7 all non-standard ports >1024 (ie. allow only 80, 53, 22 etc..) I read somewhere that l7 will not stop encrypted torrents... is that true? I'm guessing it makes sense since it cannot really peek into them to match pattern?

I use iptables daily.. know lot of tricks.. but this packet inspection is really fuss.

I'll make another thread now about paypal/iptables which is also giving me headache.. perhaps someone knows...

I really like that there are people here that I might actually talk to about networking and linux and stuff.. sometimes I feel like I'm alone.. not even google can give me answers I seek.

Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Need your help and opinion

Hey all, I'm brand new to Unix/Linux and have a couple of questions. I own a small education/consulting company that has a staff of approx. 50 employees. Most our work is geared towards the office-style environment (i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.). There are also some C and Java programmers... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennie1
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Your Opinion requested

Ladies/Gentlemen, I am looking for a web-based tool to keep track of my Sun inventory. The following list of fields are fields I would like to store: Root Passwd (needs to be secure) / Hostid / Console Port / IP Address / Platform / Application / Hostname . . . you get the point. Do any of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc9456
4 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Opinion

Hi, I am new at this site and at unix. I was reading some answers that the administrators and moderators have posted to others, and sometimes I feel like their a little sarcastic. I am asking just to be patient to me, I know nothing about unix but I do want to learn, and I think that positive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: HN19
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

second opinion on sed script

i'm trying to figure out a script that uses sed, and i'm not totally sure if it does what I think it does. The script... - takes in 3 inputs, $1, $2 are names. $3 is a file. - filename is a file. Here is what I'm trying to figure out: cat $3 | grep "id17" > var2 sed "s|@@.*||g" var2 >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gammaman
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opinion on modification for SMARTMON

Hello, I get the following in one of my error logs: Device /dev/sda, SATA disks accessed via libata are not currently supported by smartmontools. When libata is given an ATA pass-thru ioctl() then an additional '-d libata' device type will be added to smartmontools. --------------- I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
0 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Opinion on modification for SMARTMON

Hello, I get the following in one of my error logs: Device /dev/sda, SATA disks accessed via libata are not currently supported by smartmontools. When libata is given an ATA pass-thru ioctl() then an additional '-d libata' device type will be added to smartmontools. --------------- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Expert Opinion

This perhaps does not belong in ths category; apologies, however, we have a heated debate going and your input will decide the result. Should UNIX (HP, AIX, etc) be rebooted following a monthly cycle (Every month, or a qtr, etc.). We have some UX admins (grumps) who say they have seen a UX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh
6 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Something in my mind - what's your opinion ?

Dear Forum staff / Advisors / members , I am having something in my mind, about Linux / Unix possible Interview questions collections, I guess if I post them here,which might be useful for our members and for students, and in meantime we can discuss also about those questions, what's your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies

9. Android

Problem with torrents and bash script on Android

Please disregard this post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnnybopper
0 Replies
FLUSH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  FLUSH(1)

NAME
Flush - GTK-based BitTorrent client SYNOPSIS
flush [OPTIONS] [TORRENT_FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Flush is a GTK-based BitTorrent client. You can use it to download files from the BitTorrent network. You can control already running instance, for example, by following commands: flush -o --download-rate-limit=100 flush --start=all FEATURES
* Controlling running instance by command line interface, such as: * Starting/stopping torrents. * Changing download/upload rate limit. * Changing maximum connections limit. * Running many instances with different configs from the same user. * Automatic copying finished downloads to specified directory. * Setting custom download path for each file of the torrent. * Ability to choose torrent file's character set encoding. * Automatic torrents loading from specified directory. * Automatic pausing and removing old torrents. * Temporary pausing and resuming torrents. * Overall and current session statistics. * Creating your own torrent files. * IP filter. OPTIONS
--version Show program version and exit. --help Show help options and exit. --config=DIRECTORY Configuration directory path (default: ~/.flush). --download-rate-limit=SPEED Set download rate limit (KB/s). --upload-rate-limit=SPEED Set upload rate limit (KB/s). --max-uploads=NUMBER Set maximum uploads. --max-connections=NUMBER Set maximum connections. --start={all,downloads,uploads} Start torrents. --stop={all,downloads,uploads} Stop torrents. -o, --only-pass Only pass commands to already running Flush instance. Does not start new instance if it is not running yet. FILES
~/.flush Default configuration directory. BUGS
On startup Flush finds already running instances via DBus session bus. Therefore it is necessary to run Flush in a single session bus (usual in X session bus) to prevent running several instances with one configuration path. Please notice that when you are running Flush from console or by cron, when DISPLAY environment variable is not available, Flush finds already running GUI instance without problems via ${config_path}/dbus_session link, which all GUI instances are creating when they have owned DBus name. This makes it possible to control running Flush GUI instances from cron. AUTHOR
Flush was written by Dmitry Konishchev <konishchev@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Dmitry Konishchev <konishchev@gmail.com>. Jun 11, 2009 FLUSH(1)