Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Expert opinion on iptables/torrents Post 302798959 by Corona688 on Thursday 25th of April 2013 12:28:50 PM
Old 04-25-2013
iptables can do lots of fun things with sources, destinations, routes, types, and to a limited extent stateful things like simple detection of some protocols but I don't think it's good for this depth of packet content reading. It's just a firewall in the end.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Need your help and opinion

Hey all, I'm brand new to Unix/Linux and have a couple of questions. I own a small education/consulting company that has a staff of approx. 50 employees. Most our work is geared towards the office-style environment (i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.). There are also some C and Java programmers... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennie1
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Your Opinion requested

Ladies/Gentlemen, I am looking for a web-based tool to keep track of my Sun inventory. The following list of fields are fields I would like to store: Root Passwd (needs to be secure) / Hostid / Console Port / IP Address / Platform / Application / Hostname . . . you get the point. Do any of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc9456
4 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Opinion

Hi, I am new at this site and at unix. I was reading some answers that the administrators and moderators have posted to others, and sometimes I feel like their a little sarcastic. I am asking just to be patient to me, I know nothing about unix but I do want to learn, and I think that positive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: HN19
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

second opinion on sed script

i'm trying to figure out a script that uses sed, and i'm not totally sure if it does what I think it does. The script... - takes in 3 inputs, $1, $2 are names. $3 is a file. - filename is a file. Here is what I'm trying to figure out: cat $3 | grep "id17" > var2 sed "s|@@.*||g" var2 >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gammaman
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opinion on modification for SMARTMON

Hello, I get the following in one of my error logs: Device /dev/sda, SATA disks accessed via libata are not currently supported by smartmontools. When libata is given an ATA pass-thru ioctl() then an additional '-d libata' device type will be added to smartmontools. --------------- I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
0 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Opinion on modification for SMARTMON

Hello, I get the following in one of my error logs: Device /dev/sda, SATA disks accessed via libata are not currently supported by smartmontools. When libata is given an ATA pass-thru ioctl() then an additional '-d libata' device type will be added to smartmontools. --------------- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Expert Opinion

This perhaps does not belong in ths category; apologies, however, we have a heated debate going and your input will decide the result. Should UNIX (HP, AIX, etc) be rebooted following a monthly cycle (Every month, or a qtr, etc.). We have some UX admins (grumps) who say they have seen a UX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh
6 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Something in my mind - what's your opinion ?

Dear Forum staff / Advisors / members , I am having something in my mind, about Linux / Unix possible Interview questions collections, I guess if I post them here,which might be useful for our members and for students, and in meantime we can discuss also about those questions, what's your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies

9. Android

Problem with torrents and bash script on Android

Please disregard this post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnnybopper
0 Replies
IptablesDlfConverter(3pm)				  LogReport's Lire Documentation				 IptablesDlfConverter(3pm)

NAME
IptablesDlfConverter - convert netfilter/iptables syslog logs to firewall DLF DESCRIPTION
IptablesDlfConverter converts Linux 2.4 iptables packet log into firewall DLF format. LIMITATIONS
The netfilter logging modules don't log the status of the packet (drop, accept, reject) like the ipchains logging code. You can specify a prefix that will be used in the log. This converter will mark the packet as 'denied' whenever that prefix matches (case insensitive) the following regex: 'denied|deny|drop|reject|unallowed', it will mark the packet as 'permitted' whenever that prefix matches (case insensitive) the following regex: 'accept|permit', and all other packets will have '-' as the value of the 'action' field. So in order for this converter to detect 'denied' packets, you should use a prefix containing one of those substrings. For example: iptables -N lodrop iptables -A logdrop -j LOG --log-prefix "Packet-DENY: " iptables -A logdrop -j DROP or other similar prefixes: 'denied: ', 'Packet-REJECT: ', ... The prefix used will end up in the 'rule' field of the DLF record. EXAMPLES
IptablesDlfConvertor will be rarely used on its own, but is more likely called by lr_log2report: $ lr_log2report iptables < /var/log/iptables.log > report SEE ALSO
The Netfilter webpage at http://netfilter.samba.org/ . AUTHORS
Francis J. Lacoste <flacoste@logreport.org> VERSION
$Id: IptablesDlfConverter.pm,v 1.12 2006/07/23 13:16:35 vanbaal Exp $ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Stichting LogReport Foundation LogReport@LogReport.org This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program (see COPYING); if not, check with http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html. Lire 2.1.1 2006-07-23 IptablesDlfConverter(3pm)