Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Shell scripting/working with a file Post 302797107 by Jagst3r21 on Sunday 21st of April 2013 11:31:22 PM
Old 04-22-2013
It was exists not exit Smilie I am having a tough time with this, any other advice anyone?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file activity (open/closed) file descriptor info using KORN shell scripting

I am trying to find a way to check the current status of a file. Such as some cron job processes are dependent on the completion of others. if a file is currently being accessed / modified or simply open state I will wait until it is done being processed before attempting the next process on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

file permissions using shell scripting

Hi I am trying to use shell script to display file permissions, and I can do it fine for the current user logged in, but now I want to view all file permissions for the Owner of the file, Group users and everyone, so it will look something like this: -----------------READ WRITE EXECUTE OWNER... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: barbus
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to create file from shell scripting

Hi, I want to create a file from a shell script. the data for the file will come from variables. that is the file format is like, var1-value var2_value ... that is, var1_value should be placed in first 10 spaces and var2_value should be placed in next 8 columns like that. is there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smr_rashmy
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

file operations in shell scripting

hi All, my query... 1.I Have to search for the files in the root directory. 2.i have to search for a pattern in all the files in the root directory and then replace them with a new pattern. 3.Rename the file Explanation: if ABC is the root folder and has 3 subfolders and there are 15... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityamahi
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting - need to arrange the columns from multiple file into a single file

Hi friends please help me on below, i have 5 files like below file1 is x 10 y 20 z 15 file2 is x 100 z 245 file3 is y 78 z 23 file4 is x 100 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva kumar
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting for file manupilations

Hi linux users, I have a file with following format. { Name shiva; location Delhi; travelID IDNumber; } 4 ( (0.1 0.2 0.3) 1234 (1.1 1.2 1.3) 12345 (2.1 2.2 2.3) 12354 (3.1 3.2 3.3) 123667 )now i wanted to write this data in separate files as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read csv file, convert the data and make one text file in UNIX shell scripting

I have input data looks like this which is a part of a csv file 7,1265,76548,"0102:04" 8,1266,76545,"0112:04" I need to make the output data should look like this and the output data will be part of text file: 7|1265000 |7654899 |A| 8|12660000 |76545999 |B| The logic behind the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJG
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Typeset is not working in Linux korn shell scripting

Hi All, Kindly help on the below issue ASAP. Its very urgent. I have script in which we have below two lines for code and it is not working. Please help. files_to_process=" abc_*.log def_*.log ghi_*.log " typeset -A dir_list ${files_to_process} the script is failing in Linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tvbhkishore
3 Replies
MADVISE(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							MADVISE(2)

NAME
madvise, posix_madvise -- give advice about use of memory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mman.h> int madvise(void *addr, size_t len, int advice); int posix_madvise(void *addr, size_t len, int advice); DESCRIPTION
The madvise() system call allows a process that has knowledge of its memory behavior to describe it to the system. The advice passed in may be used by the system to alter its virtual memory paging strategy. This advice may improve application and system performance. The behavior specified in advice can only be one of the following values: MADV_NORMAL Indicates that the application has no advice to give on its behavior in the specified address range. This is the system default behavior. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_NORMAL Same as MADV_NORMAL but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_SEQUENTIAL Indicates that the application expects to access this address range in a sequential manner. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_SEQUENTIAL Same as MADV_SEQUENTIAL but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_RANDOM Indicates that the application expects to access this address range in a random manner. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_RANDOM Same as MADV_RANDOM but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_WILLNEED Indicates that the application expects to access this address range soon. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_WILLNEED Same as MADV_WILLNEED but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_DONTNEED Indicates that the application is not expecting to access this address range soon. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_DONTNEED Same as MADV_DONTNEED but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_FREE Indicates that the application will not need the information contained in this address range, so the pages may be reused right away. The address range will remain valid. This is used with madvise() system call. MADV_ZERO_WIRED_PAGES Indicates that the application would like the wired pages in this address range to be zeroed out if the address range is deallocated without first unwiring the pages (i.e. a munmap(2) without a preceding munlock(2) or the application quits). This is used with madvise() system call. The posix_madvise() behaves same as madvise() except that it uses values with POSIX_ prefix for the advice system call argument. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
madvise() fails if one or more of the following are true: [EINVAL] The value of advice is incorrect. [EINVAL] The address range includes unallocated regions. [ENOMEM] The virtual address range specified by the addr and len are outside the range allowed for the address space. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/mman.h> int madvise(caddr_t addr, size_t len, int advice); int posix_madvise(caddr_t addr, size_t len, int advice); The include file <sys/types.h> is necessary. The type of addr has changed. SEE ALSO
mincore(2), minherit(2), mprotect(2), msync(2), munmap(2), compat(5) HISTORY
The madvise function first appeared in 4.4BSD. The posix_madvise function is part of IEEE 1003.1-2001 and was first implemented in Mac OS X 10.2. BSD
June 9, 1993 BSD