Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Determine uniqueness of pid to name output files Post 302796021 by vkumbhakarna on Thursday 18th of April 2013 06:19:42 PM
Old 04-18-2013
Determine uniqueness of pid to name output files

Hi,

We've a process on AIX UNIX server which is executed by multiple uses during a day. I wish to create a log file for every time the process is executed. I wish to know how unique are PID(s) on AIX UNIX servers if I were to name the log files with <date> and <PID>?

E.g. If I create my output files having the details such as
Code:
`date +%Y%m%d`_${$}_out.csv

With my limited understanding of UNIX and from what I've read on the forum https://www.unix.com/unix-advanced-expert-users/2896-obtaining-process-id-pid.html AIX system sequentially assigns a limited set of PIDs and re-utilizes them as and when processes get freed and slot is available for allocation by dispatcher.

Please suggest a suitable way to uniquely identify the process execution during the day. I am also considering adding datetime hh:mm:ss to the log name to uniquely identify the same E.g. change log file name to
Code:
 `date +%Y%m%d_%H%M%S`_${$}_out.csv

Thanks,

Last edited by vkumbhakarna; 04-18-2013 at 07:25 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

I tried to get the PID on the files called PID_Server

$!>PID_FILES I try to get the PID of the last process on the files called PID_FILES. But the command stands by on the output screen. I have to tape on ENTER to get the prompt and continue . How may I simulate this action ( tape on ENTER ). thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoang
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Session PID & socket connection pid

1. If I use an software application(which connects to the database in the server) in my local pc, how many PID should be registered? Would there be PID for the session and another PID for socket connection? 2. I noticed (through netstat) that when I logged in using the my software application,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcx26
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What are tr.pid.rotation files?

Hi! I'm facing a unique problem! When I run a program on HPUX, it runs fine but it also produces a bunch of files of the format: tr.<pid>.number the contents of these files are a bunch of numbers and I know for a fact that these files are not created by the program I'm running. Seems... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zackz
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of ps + awk in a variable to get PID

Hi All, I am getting the PID of a process using its name using the following command in a script mypid=`ps aux | awk '/test5/ && !/awk/ { print $2 }'` echo PID is $mypid The problem is the PID is not getting printed. But when i run the command directly in shell, the PID got printed. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

output nohup file containg the PID

Hi to everybody. Is it possible to nohup a process and redirect the output to a file containing the PID? E.g. if nohup filename > out.nohup associate the PID=8074 to filename, is it possible to call the output file something like out_8074.nohup instead of out.nohup? By this way it would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: plsrn
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

determine pid from ps -ef | grep something

Hi all, i have a script called a.sh and within a.sh it calls b.sh. when i do a ps -ef | grep a.sh, i get two sets of number user_test 4225 3250 0 10:31 pts/1 00:00:00 a.sh when i do a ps -ef | grep b.sh, i get two sets of number user_test 4269 4225 22 10:31 pts/1 00:00:45... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
17 Replies

7. AIX

kill -3 <PID> ... where the output file goes?

Hi all, I am generating the coredump of my JBoss, and by default it puts it in to a particular directory. i.e. JBOSS_HOME/. I would like this output file to be created, lets say in /tmp/dump/. I tried the following: kill -3 9404940>/tmp/dump/out.txt But it created... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroon_a
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Pid from a command output

pariosd -status NodeName ID ROLE STATE PROTECTION --------------------------------------------------------------------------- tn320_scm10 10 ACTIVE UP No Protection tn320_scm11 11 UNKNOWN UNKNOWN LocalApps ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariprasad123
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem to determine all files and dir match up on 2 different unix boxes

Hi Friends I have 2 solaris boxes and I need to check certain directories (on local filesystem and mounted nfs) to make sure that they match up on both boxes and to delete or move the other mismatches to elsewhere on the local filesystem. I investigated for unix commands like rsync, and tree... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpc8250
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search compare and determine duplicate files

Hi May i ask if someone know a package that will search a directory recursively and compare determine duplicate files according to each filename, date modified or any attributes that will determine its duplicity If none where should i start or what are those command in shell scripting that... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
11 Replies
SETPGID(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							SETPGID(2)

NAME
setpgid, setpgrp -- set process group LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int setpgid(pid_t pid, pid_t pgrp); int setpgrp(pid_t pid, pid_t pgrp); DESCRIPTION
setpgid() sets the process group of the specified process pid to the specified pgrp. If pid is zero, then the call applies to the current process. If pgrp is zero, then the process id of the process specified by pid is used instead. If the invoker is not the super-user, then the affected process must have the same effective user-id as the invoker or be a descendant of the invoking process. RETURN VALUES
setpgid() returns 0 when the operation was successful. If the request failed, -1 is returned and the global variable errno indicates the reason. ERRORS
setpgid() will fail and the process group will not be altered if: [EACCES] The value of the pid argument matches the process ID of a child process of the calling process, and the child process has successfully executed one of the exec functions. [EINVAL] The value of the pgrp argument is less than zero. [EPERM] The effective user ID of the requested process is different from that of the caller and the process is not a descendant of the calling process. [ESRCH] The value of the pid argument does not match the process ID of the calling process or of a child process of the calling process. SEE ALSO
getpgrp(2) STANDARDS
The setpgid() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1''). COMPATIBILITY
setpgrp() is identical to setpgid(), and is retained for calling convention compatibility with historical versions of BSD. BSD
December 18, 2003 BSD