Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem creating graph with gnuplot with time on x-axis Post 302794355 by hakro807 on Monday 15th of April 2013 05:54:11 PM
Old 04-15-2013
I succeeded in creating a good-looking graph for the last 60 minutes. Format for data is
Code:
hh:mm value1 value2

Code:
set terminal png
set output "hour_graph.png"
set yrange [10:50]
set ylabel "Temperatur Celsius/Luftfuktighet procent"
set timefmt "%H:%M"
set xdata time
set xtics "00:00", 900, "24:00" #guess it will mess up temporarily at 24:00
set mxtics 3 #a small tic every five minute
set format x "%H:%M" #set format x was needed to format the x axis as hh:mm, not hh:mm:ss

plot "./hour_graph_values" using 1:2 title 'Temperatur' with lines, \
"./hour_graph_values" using 1:3 title 'Luftfuktighet' with lines

Would still love to know the syntax for letting gnuplot deal with both date and time.
At the moment the main log is in the following format:
yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm value1 value2

I just can't believe gnuplot would not be able to deal with something which most be so common.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Adjust X & Y screen axis

I'm using my wife's Macbook, and I just noticed that her screen is off axis, but I can't find a way to adjust it. I've tried playing around with resolution in preferences, but nothing. Maybe a terminal command for adjusting the x and y values of the screen? Any and all suggestions welcomed :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andou
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sar Vs. gnuplot time format

Hi, I want to generate gnuplot graph from sar data. My problem is the time format. 1- Gnuplot doesn't support the sar format (01:00:59 AM/PM) 2- Sar doesn't provide a switch to choose the format. The only way to do it is by exporting LANG=fr_FR. Since I have other apps running and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: foxmtl
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GNUPLOT problem

Hi, Im trying to plot a time series with gnuplot. this is my script set xdata time set yrange set timefmt "%H" set xrange set format x "%H:%M:%S" plot "time_vs_times.txt" using 1:2 title 'Interarrival time' with points lw 2 and this is my data 11:14:18 5 11:14:19 10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transposing X and Y axis of CSV data

Hello list, I have a source CSV data file as follows: PC_NAME,MS11-040,MS11-039,MS11-038,MS11-035 abc123,Not Applicable,Not Applicable,Not Applicable,Not Applicable abc987,Not Applicable,Not Applicable,Not Applicable,Not Applicable tnt999,Not Applicable,Not Applicable,Applicable,Not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
2 Replies

5. Programming

Creating a line graph in jqplot

I have a piece of code here that should create a line graph consisting of two lines. It will not render the lines and neither the dates on the x-axis. The y-axis is apparently already scaled for the y-values, so the data interpretation went correctly for at least some of the data. Does anybody see... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

GnuPlot - 2d-graph --> depending from size, different color

Hi, i would like to change color depending from the valuerange. a gnuplot-script will generate a multiplot and in one graph, the ranges should have different colors, e.g. 100 ... 133 --> red 200 ... 233 --> blue 300 ... 333 --> orange 400 ... 433 --> green #Partikeldata - Partikel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IMPe
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

gnuplot flat line graph

Hi, I'm not able to find a solution because I cant find the exact keyword for this. I wanna make a graph like ive shown in the attachment. Could someone please share ideas on how to do this. Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
3 Replies

8. Programming

Draw Bar Graph for GNUPLOT

For example, I have a file called data.txt. And the content is: Iker_Casillas 181 Raphael_Varane 182 Sergio_Ramos 182May I know how to write a script for gnuplot, so I can have a bar graph as the column 1 will be the x and column 2 will be the y? And I hope that the x value can be seen clearly.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tzeronone
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gnuplot Time Data Question

I have a data file of the following format: servername,2013-05-11 17:46:03,SomeText,195,195,11,202 servername,2013-05-11 17:47:03,SomeText,192,192,23,103 servername,2013-05-11 17:48:03,SomeText,189,190,14,117 servername,2013-05-11 17:49:03,SomeText,196,195,24,231 ... ... I want to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeeryM
0 Replies
MUPLOT(1)							   User Commands							 MUPLOT(1)

NAME
muplot - plot a multi-curve figure from multiple data by using Gnuplot SYNOPSIS
muplot [OPTION]... [STYLE] [FILE] [AXES] [FILE] [AXES] ... DESCRIPTION
Muplot is a simple, non-interactive gnuplot-wrapper to plot a multi-curve figure from multiple data (files). It can produce PostScript, PDF, PNG or JPEG output file formats. OPTIONS
--help|-H display help --version output version and license message -h display short help -V print program version number -s create PostScript file -S send PostScript output to STDOUT (the same as '-s -o -') -n create PNG file -j create JPEG file -p create PDF file (requires the gnuplot "pdfcairo" driver) -c <cmd> execute gnuplot command(s) (the default plot style is used) -m monochrome plot (valid only for PostScript) -l set plot size to 800x600 (valid for PNG and JPEG) -o base name of the output file -q quiet mode (all messages except errors to be suppressed) -i ignore local command file './.muplotset' -I <file> specify an alternative command file instead of './.muplotset' Styles: l lines p points lp lines and points (default) pp circle points d dots b boxes g grid e errorbars - default used columns are 1:2:3 (x:y:yerror) a fields with arrows; The data file has a special format in this case. Use 'prefield' to prepare such data files. dt=<fmt> date/time series with the specified format; For example: dt="%H:%M.%S@%H:%M" where the first part, in front of "@", defines the data format, and the second part defines the format that will be used for tic labels. Here, hours and minutes are separated by `:', respectively minutes and seconds by `.' Another example could be a date: dt="%Y-%m-%d". u=<fmt> user specified format as defined in Gnuplot Axes: x:y,x:y-z columns in the file defining the x/y-axes of the curve(s); Default are 1:2 or 1:2:3 for data with errors. In case that only one col- umn is provided the default axes are 0:1 - the x-axis will be a simple index then. File(s) could be a single file name whereas '-' means <stdin>, many files enclosed in '' or "" like "file1 file2 file3", or any valid shell pattern as for example "*.dat". The files '$HOME/.muplotset' and './.muplotset', if existing, will be included at the beginning of the gnu- plot script. The command block between "#BEGIN" and "#END" in those files will be pasted to the end of the script. If you want that the global '$HOME/.muplotset' is ignored, create in your local directory a file named '.muplotset.noglobal'. In case you want to view the out- put, define the env variable MUPLOT_VIEWER and export it, for example: MUPLOT_VIEWER="xpdf -z page"; export MUPLOT_VIEWER Then the program will prompt you to view the plot, and after confirmation the viewer will present the graphics. If the postscript file for- mat is chosen ('-s' option), and MUPLOT_VIEWER is not defined, the viewer is preset to 'gv', and per default you are prompted to view the output. To disable this behavior, set MUPLOT_VIEWER="". EXAMPLES
1) On X-terminal view a multi-curve plot of data files with extension 'dat' muplot l "*.dat" 2) Print a sinus curve in black-and-white color on a PostScript printer muplot -m -S -c "set title 'Function f(x)=sin(x)'; plot sin(x);" | lpr 3) Plot data from file "example.dat" using columns 1:2, 3:4, and 3:5 as x/y-axes in the multi-curve plot; a PostScript file with the name "example.ps" is automatically created. muplot -s lp example.dat 1:2,3:4-5 4) Create graphics in PDF format reading data from file "example.1.dat" (columns 1:2), and from file "example.2.dat" (columns 3:4) muplot -p lp example.1.dat 1:2 example.2.dat 3:4 5) View data where the third column is a date of the form 'yyyy-mm-dd' cat example_counts_per_day.dat | muplot dt="%Y-%m-%d" - 3:1 REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <gnu@mirendom.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1996-2009, 2011-2012 Dimitar Ivanov License: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. muplot 3.2.1 February 2012 MUPLOT(1)