Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Useradd and passwd in HP-UX
Operating Systems HP-UX Useradd and passwd in HP-UX Post 302794163 by vbe on Monday 15th of April 2013 10:14:40 AM
Old 04-15-2013
I just tested:
Code:
ant:/home/vbe $ date
Mon Apr 15 16:12:22 METDST 2013
ant:/home/vbe $ grep psa /etc/shadow
psa:EazGfRgdWAIj2:15771::::::
ant:/home/vbe $ passwd -d psa
ant:/home/vbe $ grep psa /etc/shadow
psa::15810::::::
ant:/home/vbe $

Then tried to connect, it logs in without asking passwd...
But this is a HP-UX 11.11 pa-risc...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

useradd

I work on some hp ux 11.00 Servers. i have to add an user. i use the useradd command like follows: useradd -u 72022 -g 71095 -c " comment " -d /PACKAGE_NAME/home/username -s /usr/bin/sh username The command returns with error 3. The manpage means value number 3: Invalid argument supplied to an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ortsvorsteher
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

useradd

Hi. due to some needs i gave a user the premission to use useradd command with sudo. i want to know if there is a way to let him set the initial password, without giving him the premission to use passwd command as root (sudo). maybe a way to set a default password for all the new users that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dorilevy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

useradd

Gurus, I need to add a user to all the machines. I need a script to do this. I did one but it does not allow me to su to root within a ssh session i open. It exists saying su: Sorry. Please let me know how i can do it. I do not have the freedom of using sudo either. Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: earlysame55
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

useradd?

Hi Experts, when using useradd command, what are the necessary options/arguments to be included? Please advice. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
4 Replies

5. Solaris

useradd

if useradd command is deleted in solaris how do we add user (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_ng
3 Replies

6. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passwd - useradd issues

hi guys I'm having these problems with these commands and I have not idea why # passwd If 'passwd' is not a typo you can run the following command to lookup the package that contains the binary: command-not-found passwd -bash: passwd: command not found # useradd temp Warning:... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
15 Replies

8. Solaris

useradd

I want to creat a 27 logins in solaris.Can anyone tell me how to write a script for that so that i create at a time for all 27 people. Thanks to guide me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

useradd w/o write permission on /etc/passwd

Hi root user creates a user using the useradd command. This command creates an entry in the /etc/passwd file. /etc/passwd file has rw permission for the root user. Now, if I happen to remove the w permission for the root user, useradd command still is successfully creating entry in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruprasadpr
3 Replies

10. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies
useradd(8)						      System Manager's Manual							useradd(8)

NAME
useradd - create a new user account SYNOPSIS
useradd [-D binddn] [-P path] [-c comment] [-d homedir] [-e expire] [-f inactive] [-G group,...] [-g gid] [-m [-k skeldir]] [-o] [-p password] [-u uid] [-U umask] [-r] [-s shell] [--service service] [--help] [--usage] [-v] [--preferred-uid uid] account useradd --show-defaults useradd --save-defaults [-d homedir] [-e expire] [-f inactive] [-g gid] [-G group,...] [-k skeldir] [-U umask] [-s shell] DESCRIPTION
useradd creates a new user account using the default values from /etc/default/useradd and the specified on the command line. Depending on the command line options the new account will be added to the system files or LDAP database, the home directory will be created and the initial default files and directories will be copied. The account name must begin with an alphabetic character and the rest of the string should be from the POSIX portable character class ([A- Za-z_][A-Za-z0-9_-.]*[A-Za-z0-9_-.$]). OPTIONS
-c, --comment comment This option specifies the users finger information. -d, --home homedir This option specifies the users home directory. If not specified, the default from /etc/default/useradd is used. -e, --expire expire With this option the date when the account will be expired can be changed. expiredate has to be specified as number of days since January 1st, 1970. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD. If not specified, the default from /etc/default/useradd is used. -f, --inactive inactive This option is used to set the number of days of inactivity after a password has expired before the account is locked. A user whose account is locked must contact the system administrator before being able to use the account again. A value of -1 disables this feature. If not specified, the default from /etc/default/useradd is used. -G, --groups group,... With this option a list of supplementary groups can be specified, which the user should become a member of. Each group is separated from the next one only by a comma, without whitespace. If not specified, the default from /etc/default/useradd is used. -g, --gid gid The group name or number of the user's main group. The group name or number must refer to an already existing group. If not speci- fied, the default from /etc/default/useradd is used. -k, --skel skeldir Specify an alternative skel directory. This option is only valid, if the home directory for the new user should be created, too. If not specified, the default from /etc/default/useradd or /etc/skel is used. -m, --create-home Create home directory for new user account. -o, --non-unique Allow duplicate (non-unique) User IDs. -p, --password password Encrypted password as returned by crypt(3) for the new account. The default is to disable the account. -U, --umask umask The permission mask is initialized to this value. It is used by useradd for creating new home directories. The default is taken from /etc/default/useradd. -u, --uid uid Force the new userid to be the given number. This value must be positive and unique. The default is to use the first free ID after the greatest used one. The range from which the user ID is chosen can be specified in /etc/login.defs. --preferred-uid uid Set the new userid to the specified value if possible. If that value is already in use the first free ID will be chosen as described above. -r, --system Create a system account. A system account is an user with an UID between SYSTEM_UID_MIN and SYSTEM_UID_MAX as defined in /etc/login.defs, if no UID is specified. The GROUPS entry in /etc/default/useradd is ignored, too. -s, --shell shell Specify user's login shell. The default for normal user accounts is taken from /etc/default/useradd, the default for system accounts is /bin/false. --service service Add the account to a special directory. The default is files, but ldap is also valid. -D, --binddn binddn Use the Distinguished Name binddn to bind to the LDAP directory. The user will be prompted for a password for simple authentica- tion. -P, --path path The passwd and shadow files are located below the specified directory path. useradd will use this files, not /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. --help Print a list of valid options with a short description. --usage Print a short list of valid options. -v, --version Print the version number and exit. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shadow - shadow user account information /etc/group - group information /etc/default/useradd - default values for account creation /etc/skel - directory containing default files SEE ALSO
passwd(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5), shadow(5), userdel(8), usermod(8) AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> pwdutils May 2010 useradd(8)