Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed and grep
Operating Systems Linux sed and grep Post 302792925 by Don Cragun on Thursday 11th of April 2013 10:51:39 AM
Old 04-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravisingh
I am stranded with a problem. Please solve.

How will you remove blank lines from a file using sed and grep? ( blank line contains nothing or only white spaces).

I run the below commands of sed and grep but grep isn't giving output as desired. Why?

Code:
sed '/^[ \o11]*$/d' blank

grep -v "^[ \o11]*$" blank

(there is a space before tab in character class)

The above sed command gave desired result but not grep. Why?

Also, I am fix at one more place. As, tab is 011 (octal) but in my system the zero of 011 is accepting as o (alphabetic) instead of numeral zero. If I give numeral zero, it won't work. Is it O.K.? A few days back by mistake a system file got deleted becz of which link count is not showing properly. Can this be a reason for the above problem.

Waiting eagerly for your valuable replies.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags
I find it hard to believe that either of these commands did what you want. The \o11 needs to be \011 (i.e., digit zero; not lowercase letter oh).

To make it clearer to readers, you could also replace your bracket expression with [[:space:]].

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED and it used with | and grep

I am really lost I don't know what this line does. Please help I'm very lost. Thanks in advance. cat CPROGRAMS.c |sed 's// /g'|tr ' ' '\012' |grep '' |sed 's/^*/ /' |grep '($'|sort -u|tr -d "("` (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lem2003
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep sed

OK, I am trying to become more familiar with grep and sed. I have a file that is storing some records. I am allowing a user to search for a keyword in the file with this: grep -i "$keyword" testFile|sed -n -e 's/^/\ /' -e 's/:/\ /gp' ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericelysia
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to grep

I have a file that contains many instances of double dollar signs. I want to use sed to get the first occurrence. for example, given the following data. #Beginning of file AB 34 $$ AB $$ AB 98 $$ I only want to pull out: AB 34 $$ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wxornot
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep or Sed

Hi All, I have created a bourne script that basically wants to split a file up in to different parts. I have this working if the file has all the information on different lines but if it doesn't then it doesn't work. i.e. If this is the file hello 12345 good bye 6789 I could grep all the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz8146
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed or grep?

hello everybody! I have a html file which is not properly formatted meaning that the whole content is in one line. I want to to cut out certain parts of that file. Those parts are between ' #" ' and ' " ' and always start with ' sec_ ' and after the ' sec_ ' any number of characters and ' _... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MastaFue
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with SED + GREP

HI all, i have a line in a file it contains Code: one;two_1_10;two_2_10;two_3_10;three~ now i need to get the output as Code: one;two_1_abc_10;two_2_abc_10;two_3_abc_10;three~ ( 1 should be replaced with 1_abc for two__abc_10 , and one more thing the number of occurances of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2001.arun
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/tr/grep help

So I have a html file with a bunch of words inside tags and I need to extract just the words, and I'm not sure exactly what the best way to do this is. The format is as follows: <tr> <td>word 1</td> <td>word 2</td> </tr> And all I want to extract is the 'word 2'. First I tried... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flightskoo
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed/grep

Hi, I have a file with reoccurring patterns and I want extract the 3rd line after the match, then delete another pattern from that third line. For example the file is in the following format: Hello Name: Abc Number: 123 Hello Name: FQE Number: 543 This occurs more than 100... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wsn
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with sed/grep

Hello Everyone! I'm kind of new to parsing and would like extract a partial part of my nmap scan output so I can convert it to csv/excel: My current file has two types of lines like this: Nmap scan report for dns1 (1.1.1.1) Nmap scan report for dns2 (2.2.2.2) Nmap scan report for 3.3.3.3 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SarahS
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk usage to grep a pattern 1 and with reference to this grep a pattern 2 and pattern 3

Hi , I have a file where i have modifed certain things compared to original file . The difference of the original file and modified file is as follows. # diff mir_lex.c.modified mir_lex.c.orig 3209c3209 < if(yy_current_buffer -> yy_is_our_buffer == 0) { --- >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: breezevinay
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)