Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat iptables Rules for my network Post 302786059 by Vaibhav.T on Tuesday 26th of March 2013 06:54:59 PM
Old 03-26-2013
RedHat iptables Rules for my network

Hi Champs

i am new in Iptables and trying to write rules for my Samba server.I took some help from internet, created one script and run from rc.local :

#Allow loopback

iptables -I INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT

# Accept packets from Trusted network

iptables -A INPUT -s my-network/subnet -j ACCEPT

# to allow established session to received traffic

iptables -A INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

# to allow SSH on port 22 from my network

iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -s my-network/subnet --dport 22 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p tcp --sport 22 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

# To Allow incoming traffice on default SAMBA PORTS

iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 137 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 138 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 139 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 139 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 445 -j ACCEPT

#Enable Logging

iptables -A INPUT -j LOG
iptables -A INPUT -m limit --limit 2/min -j LOG --log-prefix "Iptables packet Drop" --log-level 7

# Drop all other Packets

iptables -A INPUT -j DROP

I also created one separate log file for iptables in /var/log/iptables.log and edit /etc/syslog.conf :

*.info;kern!=warning;mail.none;news.none;authpriv.none;cron.none /var/log/message

# Add new location

kern.warning /var/log/iptables.log

But my Drop packets are not showing in iptables.log file.Please let me know if i am doing wrong and let me know the correct way to write.I only want samba communication and SSH nothing else.

Thank You

Vaibhav

Last edited by Vaibhav.T; 03-26-2013 at 08:06 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED inserting iptables rules in while loop

I'm trying to insert multiple new lines of text into an iptables script using sed in a while loop. I'm not sure if this is the most effective way. Searching the forums has helped me come up with a good beginning but it's not 100%. I'd like it to search out a unique line in my current iptables file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbalicious
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

Iptables rules at boot

Hi I have small home network and I want to block some forums on web When I use this iptables -A INPUT -s forum -j DROP rules is applied but when I restart some of PC rules are not present any more also I tried to save firewall settings iptables-save > /root/dsl.fw but how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
2 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Editing rules on iptables

Hello, I was playing around with iptables to setup an isolated system. On a SLES10 system, I ran the below to setup my first draft of rules. I noticed that the rules come into effect immediately and do not require any restart of iptables. iptables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT iptables -A OUTPUT -m... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: garric
4 Replies

4. Ubuntu

iptables rules (ubuntu)

Could someone help me with writing rules for iptables? I need a dos attacks protection for a game server. port type udp ports 27015:27030 interface: eth0 Accept all packets from all IPs Chek if IP sent more than 50 packets per second Drop all packets from this IP for 5 minutes I would be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Greenice
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Iptables/Firewall rules for multicast IP.

Hi Gurus, I need to add Multicast Port = xyz Multicast Address = 123.134.143 ( example) to my firewall rules. Can you please guide me with the lines I need to update my iptables files with. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Editing iptables rules with custom chain

Hello, I have iptables service running on my CentOS5 server. It has approx 50 rules right now. The problem I am facing now is as follows - I have to define a new chain in the filter table, say DOS_RULES & add all rules in this chain starting from index number 15 in the filter table. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BhushanPathak
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Convert the QNX rules to UNIX iptables

Need to convert the QNX rules to Linux ubuntu 12.04. kindly any one help us with any tools (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mageshkumar
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

iptables help with rules

Hi, I've been struggling with this all morning and seem to have a blind spot on what the problem is. I'm trying to use iptables to block traffic on a little cluster of raspberry pi's but to allow ssh and ping traffic within it. The cluster has a firewall server with a wifi card connecting to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
4 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

Need help for iptables rules

Hello, I did 2 scripts. The second one is, I hope, more secure. What do you think? Basic connection (no server, no router, no DHCP and the Ipv6 is disabled) #######script one #################### iptables -F iptables -X -t filter iptables -P INPUT DROP iptables -P FORWARD... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thomas342
6 Replies

10. IP Networking

iptables - formatting icmp rules

Hi, I am relatively new to firewalls and netfilter. I have a Debian Stretch router box running dnsmasq, connected to a VPN. Occasionally dnsmasq polls all of the desired DNS servers to select the fastest. When it does this it responds to replies of the non-selected DNS servers with a icmp type... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: CrazyDave
0 Replies
IPTABLES-SAVE(8)                                                  iptables 1.6.1                                                  IPTABLES-SAVE(8)

NAME
iptables-save -- dump iptables rules to stdout ip6tables-save -- dump iptables rules to stdout SYNOPSIS
iptables-save [-M modprobe] [-c] [-t table] ip6tables-save [-M modprobe] [-c] [-t table] DESCRIPTION
iptables-save and ip6tables-save are used to dump the contents of IP or IPv6 Table in easily parseable format to STDOUT. Use I/O-redirect- ion provided by your shell to write to a file. -M, --modprobe modprobe_program Specify the path to the modprobe program. By default, iptables-save will inspect /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe to determine the exe- cutable's path. -c, --counters include the current values of all packet and byte counters in the output -t, --table tablename restrict output to only one table. If not specified, output includes all available tables. BUGS
None known as of iptables-1.2.1 release AUTHORS
Harald Welte <laforge@gnumonks.org> Rusty Russell <rusty@rustcorp.com.au> Andras Kis-Szabo <kisza@sch.bme.hu> contributed ip6tables-save. SEE ALSO
iptables-apply(8),iptables-restore(8), iptables(8) The iptables-HOWTO, which details more iptables usage, the NAT-HOWTO, which details NAT, and the netfilter-hacking-HOWTO which details the internals. iptables 1.6.1 IPTABLES-SAVE(8)