Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find users in 24 hour
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find users in 24 hour Post 302786053 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 26th of March 2013 06:37:16 PM
Old 03-26-2013
You could process the output of last -t looking for "gone - no logout" where users are in at a particular time:

Here is split that day up into 5min blocks and check each block:

Code:
STS=$(date -d "$*" +%s)
INC=0
MAX=0
while [ $INC -lt $((60*60*24)) ]
do
   CNT=$(last -t $(date -d @$((STS+INC)) +%Y%m%d%H%M%S) | grep "gone" | wc -l)
   if [ $CNT -gt $MAX ]
   then
       MTIME=$((STS+INC))
       MAX=$CNT
   fi
   let INC=INC+5*60
done

echo "Maximum users: $MAX at $(date -d @$MTIME)"

Call it like this:

Code:
$ max_user.sh 26 Mar 2013
Maximum users: 4 at Tue Mar 26 15:05:00 EST 2013

---------- Post updated at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:26 AM ----------

Note: this is very dependent on your last -t command output under Fedora I get something like this, which is what I developed/tested with:

Code:
last -t 20120727163900
chubler  pts/1        192.168.1.3      Fri Jul 27 16:38    gone - no logout 
chubler  pts/1        192.168.1.3      Fri Jul 27 16:38 - 16:38  (00:00)    
chubler  pts/1        192.168.1.3      Fri Jul 27 16:36 - 16:36  (00:00)    
chubler  pts/1        192.168.1.3      Fri Jul 27 16:34 - 16:34  (00:00)    
chubler  pts/0        :0               Fri Jul 27 16:25    gone - no logout 
chubler  :0           :0               Fri Jul 27 16:14    gone - no logout

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl find directory only if modified in last hour

I want a one liner perl command to find a directory only if the modified time is within the last hour I am running this on windows - and I will define a variable for the result. So for example I want to return value of 1 for the variable if the modified time of d:\test1 is within the last... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Find any spike in CPU usage a hour ago

Folks, I need to find out from the system logs ( or elsewhere ) if the CPU utilization reached say 90% an hour ago from now. Is there a way out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavera
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files modified in last hour sunOS 5.10

trying to find a way to locate files modified in the last hour in a shell script, unfortunately the command 'find . -mmin -60' is not supported on SunOS 5.10 (works on OpenSolaris 5.11 :mad:) Does anyone know a method of doing this in shell script on 5.10? cheers (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
19 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP UNIX: How to find files which are older than one hour.

HP Unix Version: HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 Question I look for script or command to find files which are older than one hour. Tried below; # set the file time to 1 hours ago touch -t 201307160700 ./touchfile find /app/grid/product/11.2.0.3/rdbms/audit -name '*.aud' -type f ! -newer... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

List last 1 hour files with out FIND command

Hi Friends, Can we have an alternate command to list last 1hour files with out FIND command? Thanks Suresh (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the files created within one hour in Solaris?

Hi Gurus, I want to find the file created within one hour in solaris. I have tried below command, but it is no lucky. $find . -mtime -1/24, -name "abc*" above command give me the file name which created two hours ago find . -cmin -60, -name "abc*" above command I got error as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find files older than 1 hour

Hi, Out of a list of files in a directory, I want to find the files which were created/modified more than 1 hour ago. I am using HP -UNIX and it does not support the argument -mmin. Please advise. I am using # !/bin/sh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
4 Replies
PTS_QUIT(1)						       AFS Command Reference						       PTS_QUIT(1)

NAME
pts_quit - Exit from pts interactive mode SYNOPSIS
pts quit [-cell] <cell name> [-noauth] [-localauth] [-force] pts q [-c] <cell name> [-n] [-l] [-f] DESCRIPTION
The pts quit command exits from pts interactive mode. The command can be run from the command line or interactively, but on the command line it does nothing and is therefore of questionable utility. CAUTIONS
Prior to OpenAFS 1.4.5 and OpenAFS 1.5.23, the pts quit command was only available on Unix or Linux and when OpenAFS was compiled with the supergroups option (disabled by default). As of OpenAFS 1.4.5 and 1.5.23, it is always available. OPTIONS
Although they have no effect, pts quit takes the following standard pts options: -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see pts(1). -force Enables the command to continue executing as far as possible when errors or other problems occur, rather than halting execution at the first error. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see pts(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. For more details, see pts(1). OUTPUT
This command produces no output. EXAMPLES
Here is an example of a pts interactive session: % pts interactive pts> quit % SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_interactive(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2014-04-08 PTS_QUIT(1)