Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in sending inputs to format command using expect Post 302786043 by chidori on Tuesday 26th of March 2013 05:50:37 PM
Old 03-26-2013
ok , i was able to fix that. btw. can you please let me know how to process pattern that is reptitive . for example

I am setting Free Hog paritition and i have to enter the size of each partition and it would be set to zero. should i create 7 expect function lines and each time send value 0 to it or is there any other way in expect tool ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with mailx command when sending attachment.

Hi, I have tried to sent a mail with body and attachment. But the shell script got hanging while executing that command. The command is "(cat body;uuencode att1.csv)|mailx -s "Production Monitoring Report(Unix Side)" milton.yesusundaram@patni.com" where body is a file having a single line.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltony
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the format of inputs in a file

Hi, I have a script that takes the contents of another file as inputs. Its assumed that there are 3 values in the input file that are seperated by '|'. I have to check in my script, whether the filed seperator used in the input file is '|' or not. If its not a '|' I have to print a error... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani123
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

better format for sending mail

i am using a script to create a file which contains the mail to be sent.in every steo this file grts appended through out the script using several variables.now i want to convert it into html format so that the mail will have better look and feel and the font color and size can be changed. i tried... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with while reading HTML inputs

Hi All, I am not able to read my HTML form inputs properly in my script. I have a textarea in my form where user needs to enter sql query... but when user enter query like below : select * from order_queue where NUM_OF_PICKUP >=3 and TRANSACTION_TYPE=4 ; its coming like : select 171_arc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: askumarece
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: run a command first before sending

Hello Expect experts, Is it possible with Expect to run a command first when an expected phrase is outputted by a spawned program? Before sending an answer to the spawned program that is... Thanks a lot. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tr00tY
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query on sending inputs to a running application

Hi I need a help for below : I am running an application XXXX , and when it starts i am passing a file name called "connect.spb" and after the application connects to the server i am sending filename "accept.spb" as a parameter. DL385:$ ./XXXX This is XXXX (Reproducer by Order or RelaY) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srkelect
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending test pass to a folder in expect

still new to this expect useing bach shell to cammand expect script i tink i have that right! i want to have the test im running upon every complted cycle copyed to a folder. cant seem to get it to work. Ive tryed log_file -a $globallogdir/deveoper.log proc dbglog {notsure what... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: melvin
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Script sending password with $ and symbols

All, I am trying to use expect to send SFTP password because I am unable to share a key with the vendor. They gave me a password that uses some symbols in it like $ and ! When i try to use the send command in expect it thinks the $ is a variable. Is there anyway to have it send the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending content of a file in Expect

How Can I send the content of a file in Expect? Do I have to use cat command in a way? if yes how? lets say my file is called 1.txt. example: expect "Enter command to send:" {send "???? \r"} ???? --> content of the file 1.txt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alireza6485
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in automating "fdisk" command using send and expect

hi i want to automate fdisk command . i spawned a process containing fdisk command from a process and tried to send the options to fdisk promt from that process. but that spawed process is notstarting itself help me out trying for two days :wall: my code: #!/bin/bash echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagak89
5 Replies
RUNSCRIPT(1)						      General Commands Manual						      RUNSCRIPT(1)

NAME
runscript - script interpreter for minicom SYNOPSIS
runscript scriptname [logfile [homedir]] DESCRIPTION
runscript is a simple script interpreter that can be called from within the minicom communications program to automate tasks like logging in to a unix system or your favorite bbs. INVOCATION
The program expects a script name and optionally a filename and the user's home directory as arguments, and it expects that it's input and output are connected to the "remote end", the system you are connecting to. All messages from runscript ment for the local screen are directed to the stderr output. All this is automatically taken care of if you run it from minicom. The logfile and home directory parame- ters are only used to tell the log command the name of the logfile and where to write it. If the homedir is omitted, runscript uses the directory found in the $HOME environment variable. If also the logfile name is omitted, the log commands are ignored. KEYWORDS
Runscript recognizes the following commands: expect send goto gosub return ! exit print set inc dec if timeout verbose sleep break call log OVERVIEW OF KEYWORDS
send <string> <string> is sent to the modem. It is followed by a ' '. <string> can be: - regular text, eg 'send hello' - text enclosed in quotes, eg 'send "hello world"' Within <string> the following sequences are recognized: - newline - carriage return a - bell  - backspace c - don't send the default ' '. f - formfeed o - send character o (o is an octal number) Also $(environment_variable) can be used, for example $(TERM). Minicom passes three special environment variables: $(LOGIN), which is the username, $(PASS), which is the password, as defined in the proper entry of the dialing directory, and $(TERMLIN) which is the number of actual terminal lines on your screen (that is, the statusline excluded). print <string> Prints <string> to the local screen. Default followed by ' '. See the description of 'send' above. label: Declares a label (with the name 'label') to use with goto or gosub. goto <label> Jump to another place in the program. gosub <label> Jumps to another place in the program. When the statement 'return' is encountered, control returns to the statement after the gosub. Gosub's can be nested. return Return from a gosub. ! <command> Runs a shell for you in which 'command' is executed. On return, the variable '$?' is set to the exit status of this command, so you can subsequently test it using 'if'. exit [value] Exit from "runscript" with an optional exit status. (default 1) set <variable> <value> Sets the value of <variable> (which is a single letter a-z) to the value <value>. If <variable> does not exist, it will be created. <value> can be a integer value or another variable. inc <variable> Increments the value of <variable> by one. dec <variable> Decrements the value of <variable> by one. if <value> <operator> <value> <statement> Conditional execution of <statement>. <operator> can be <, >, != or =. Eg, 'if a > 3 goto exitlabel'. timeout <value> Sets the global timeout. By default, 'runscript' will exit after 120 seconds. This can be changed with this command. Warning: this command acts differently within an 'expect' statement, but more about that later. verbose <on|off> By default, this is 'on'. That means that anything that is being read from the modem by 'runscript', gets echoed to the screen. This is so that you can see what 'runscript' is doing. sleep <value> Suspend execution for <value> seconds. expect expect { pattern [statement] pattern [statement] [timeout <value> [statement] ] .... } The most important command of all. Expect keeps reading from the input until it reads a pattern that matches one of the specified ones. If expect encounters an optional statement after that pattern, it will execute it. Otherwise the default is to just break out of the expect. 'pattern' is a string, just as in 'send' (see above). Normally, expect will timeout in 60 seconds and just exit, but this can be changed with the timeout command. break Break out of an 'expect' statement. This is normally only useful as argument to 'timeout' within an expect, because the default action of timeout is to exit immediately. call <scriptname> Transfers control to another scriptfile. When that scriptfile finishes without errors, the original script will continue. log <text> Write text to the logfile. NOTES
If you want to make your script to exit minicom (for example when you use minicom to dial up your ISP, and then start a ppp or slip session from a script), try the command "! killall -9 minicom" as the last script command. The -9 option should prevent minicom from hanging up the line and resetting the modem before exiting. Well, I don't think this is enough information to make you an experienced 'programmer' in 'runscript', but together with the examples it shouldn't be too hard to write some useful script files. Things will be easier if you have experience with BASIC. The minicom source code comes together with two example scripts, scriptdemo and unixlogin. Especially the last one is a good base to build on for your own scripts. BUGS
Runscript should be built in to minicom. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, <miquels@drinkel.ow.org> Jukka Lahtinen, <walker@clinet.fi> User's Manual $Date: 2000/02/10 10:28:00 $ RUNSCRIPT(1)