Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ls help: ls not working with start character search (^) Post 302786001 by Yoda on Tuesday 26th of March 2013 04:06:52 PM
Old 03-26-2013
You can also use:
Code:
ls -l !(a)+(bc)

From KSH manual:
Code:
           ?(pattern-list)     Optionally matches any one of the given
                               patterns.

*(pattern-list)     Matches zero or more occurrences of the given
                               patterns.

+(pattern-list)     Matches one or more occurrences of the given
                               patterns.

@(pattern-list)     Matches exactly one of the given patterns.

!(pattern-list)     Matches anything, except one of the given
                               patterns.

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Working out end time from start + elapsed

Hi, I'm writing a script and have become stuck trying to define a variable (COMP) by adding an elapsed time (ELAPSE e.g 00:55) to a start time (START e.g 23:50). Can anybody give me a solution as to how I can get a completion time in hh:mm from the variables above? thanks Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rik1551
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read a string from its end to its start and stop when you find a specific character

How can I do this? Actually I have a file which contains a path e.g. /home/john/Music/hello.mp3 and I want to take only the filename (hello.mp3) So, I need to read the file from its end to its start till the character "/" Is this possible? Thanks, I am sure you'll not disappoint me here! Oh,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
9 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10, start inetd in a zone not working

Hello all, I`ve the following problem - I cannot start inetd in any way possible: bash-3.00# svcs inetd STATE STIME FMRI offline Jul_30 svc:/network/inetd:default bash-3.00# bash-3.00# svcadm enable -r inetd bash-3.00# svcs inetd STATE STIME FMRI... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: click
6 Replies

4. Slackware

pppoe-start not working

Hello. I'm new here and i'm new to slack (concept) as well. I made a connection for pppoe with pppoe-setup, bringed up eth0 with ifconfig but when i try pppoe-connect i get "Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP" and with pppoe-start i get "child pppd process terminated". How can i make... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: editheraven
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

escape character not working

I need to change a pattern with single quotes # echo "serversignature: 'On'" serversignature: 'On' I did # echo "serversignature: 'On'" | sed 's/.*serversignature.*/serversignature: 'Off'/' serversignature: Off The output I need is with single quotes. But its swallowing it. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilcliff
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start working with GNU PLOT??

Dear Experts, I wanted to plot a graph with respect to values from a file. I'm doing it with Excel 2007, but I want to create the chart in script itself. I searched in internet for GNUPLOt. But I couldn't understand anything. Here is my situation. I have a file having values separated by "|".... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naga06
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to specify start and stop of a search string

I am trying to extract a string from a line of text. Currently I am using grep -o 'startofstring(.........' The string is not always the same size. The string I'm trying to extract starts with 'test(' ends with ')'. ex "blah,blah,blah,test(stringoftext),blah blah" How do I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeepguy
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending a character(#) with string search at the start of the line

Hello, I have been browsing through the forum, but unable to find a solution for my requirement. I need to go through a file and search for /home/users and insert a # symbol at the start /home/users. Example output is #/home/users. Can you please help me with the awk or sed command for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandu123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - start search by using search button or by pressing the enter key

#Build label and text box $main->Label( -text => "Input string below:" )->pack(); $main->Entry( -textvariable => \$text456 )->pack(); $main->Button( -text => "Search", -command => sub { errchk ($text456) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I search with start and end criteria?

Hello I'm using cygwin and wouldlike extract information from an xml file according specific values, but don't know how. Let's say in a file content looks like this: <tab> SURNAME=Mustermann NAME=Max CUSTOMER SINCE= 18.01.2000 ADDRESS=Birmingham ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: witchblade
2 Replies
nljust(1)						      General Commands Manual							 nljust(1)

NAME
nljust - justify lines, left or right, for printing SYNOPSIS
digits] seq] just] mode] order] margin] width] ck] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
formats for printing data written in languages with a right-to-left orientation. It is designed to be used with the and the commands (see pr(1) and lp(1)). reads the concatenation of input files (or standard input if none are given) and produces on standard output a right-to-left formatted ver- sion of its input. If appears as an input file name, reads standard input at that point. Use to delimit the end of options. formats input files for all languages that are read from right to left. For languages that have a left-to-right orientation, the command merely copies input files to standard output. Options recognizes the following options: Justify data for all languages, including those having a left-to-right text orientation. By default only right-to-left language data is justified. For all other languages, input files are directly copied to standard output. Select enhanced printer shapes for some Arabic characters. With this option, two-character combinations of laam and alif are replaced by a single character. Triggers ISO 8859-6 interpretation of the data. Processes digits for output as hindi, western, or both. digits can be or both. Use seq as the escape sequence to select the primary character set. This escape sequence is used by languages that have too many characters to be accommodated by ASCII in a single 256-character set. In these cases, the seq escape sequence can be used to select the non-ASCII character set. The escape character itself(0x1b) is not given on the command line. Hewlett-Packard escape sequences are used by default. If just is left justify print lines. If just is right-justify print lines starting from the (designated or default) print width column. The default is right justification. Replace leading spaces with alternative spaces. Some right-to-left character sets have a non-ASCII or alternative space. This option can be useful when filtering out- put (see pr(1)). With right justification, the option causes line numbers to be placed immediately to the right of the tab character. Without the option, right justification causes line numbers to be placed at the print-width column. By default, leading spaces are not replaced by alternative spaces. Indicate mode of any file to be formatted. Mode refers to the text orientation of the file when it was created. If mode is assume Latin mode. If mode is assume non-Latin mode. By default, mode information is obtained from the environment variable. Do not terminate lines containing printable characters with a new-line. By default, print lines are terminated by new-lines. Indicate data order of any file to be formatted. The text orientation of a file can affect the way its data is arranged. If order is assume keyboard order. If order is assume screen order. By default, order information is obtained from the environment variable. Truncate print lines that do not fit the designated or default line length. Print lines are folded (that is, wrapped to next line) by default. Expand input tabs to column positions k+1, 2*k+1, 3*k+1, etc. Tab characters in the input are expanded to the appropriate number of spaces. If k is 0 or is omitted, default tab settings at every eighth position is assumed. If cd (any non-digit character) is given, it is treated as the input tab character. The default for c is the tab character. always expands input tabs. This option provides a way to change the tab character and setting. If this option is specified, at least one of the parameters c or k must be given. Designate a number as the print margin. The print margin is the column where truncation or folding takes place. The print margin determines how many characters appear on a single line and can never exceed the print width. The print margin is relative to the justifica- tion. If the print margin is 80, folding or truncation occurs at column 80 starting from the right during a right jus- tification. Similarly, folding or truncation occurs at column 80 starting from the left during a left justification. By default, the print margin is set to column 80. Designates a number as the print width. The print width is the maximum number of columns in the print line. Print width determines the start of text during a right justification. The larger the print width, the further to the right the text will start. By default, an 80-column print width is used. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables The environment variable determines the mode and order of the file. The syntax of is [mode][_order]. mode describes the mode of a file where represents Latin mode and represents non-Latin mode. Non-Latin mode is assumed for values other than and order describes the data order of a file where is keyboard and is screen. Keyboard order is assumed for values other than and Mode and order information in can be overridden from the command line. The environment variable determines the direction of a language (left-to-right or right-to-left) and whether context analysis of characters is necessary. The environment variable determines whether a language has alternative numbers. The environment variable determines the language in which messages are displayed. International Code Set Support Single-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
Right justify on a 132-column printer with a print margin at column 80 (the default): Right justify output of with line numbers on a 132-column printer with a print margin at column 132: WARNINGS
If with line numbers option) is piped to the separator character must be a tab(0x09). It is the user's responsibility to ensure that the environment variable accurately reflects the status of the file. Mode and justification must be consistent. Only non-Latin-mode files can be right justified in a meaningful way. Similarly, only Latin- mode files can be safely left justified. If mode and justification do not match, the results are undefined. If present, alternative numbers always have a left-to-right orientation. The command is HP proprietary, not portable to other vendors' systems, and will not be provided in future HP-UX releases. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
forder(1), lp(1), pr(1), strord(3C). nljust(1)