Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Case statement not working as expected Post 302785973 by Michael Stora on Tuesday 26th of March 2013 03:24:34 PM
Old 03-26-2013
Case statement not working as expected

Code:
            case "$freq" in
            [2,2.5,3.15,4,5,6.3]" Hz")          low=250; high=550;;
            "8 Hz")                             low=250; high=1000;;
            [10,12.5,16,20,25,31.5,40,50]" Hz") low=400; high=1000;;
            "63 Hz")                            low=550; high=1000;;
            [80,100,125,160,200,250]" Hz")      low=400; high=550;;
            *)                                  low=error; high=error;;
            esac

The strings containing decimal places like "6.3 Hz" are not being found in the case statement. I have tried putting "6.3" or '6.3' around the individual entries.

Can someone explain what is going on here?

Mike

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

case statement

Hi all, is it possible to create a 'dynamic' case statement. ie select option in `ls` do case satement depending on results of the above `ls` done I hope I have explained this ok! Thanks Helen (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

which not working as expected

Hello. Consider the following magic words: # ls `which adduser` ls: /usr/sbin/adduser: No such file or directory # Hmmm... Then: # ls /usr/sbin/adduser /usr/sbin/adduser # Now what? Unforunately this little sniippet is used in my debian woody server's mysql pre install script.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: osee
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CASE statement

Hi, I am writing a bash shell script. My script has a few user defined parameters. When the script runs the first thing it does is make sure that these parameters are valid. One of the parameters is called YEAR. A valid input for YEAR can be 1997-2000. One way I have come up with to ensure... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

case statement

Hi, I am writing case statement to execute some finction, my requirement is once one of the case statement is executed again it has to prompt for the option. for script in `echo "$Script_Selected"` do case $script in 1) getNoOFActUsers ;; 2) moveServerrOORotation ;; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why this is not working in expected way?

total=0 seq 1 5 | while read i ; do total=$(($total+$i)) echo $total done echo $totalThis outputs: 1 3 6 10 15 0whereas I am expecting: 1 3 6 10 15 15My bash version: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meharo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk is Printing folders with only numbers as expected. But can't explain 'total' statement.

I am trying to get folder names that contain only numbers. Can someone explain why following command is printing 'total 450' as part of output.. $> ls -lt | awk '$9 ~ /^*$/' | more total 450 drwxr-x--x 3 user1 group1 512 Mar 9 2008 329227163 drwxr-x--x 3 user1 group1 ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case statement

Hello, The standard case statement :- case "$1" in "IE0263") commands;; "IE0264") commands;; esac is it possible to have :- case "$1" in "IE0263" OR "IE0878") commands;; "IE0264") commands;; esac Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmahal
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement with [[ ]] and regex not working as expected

Using BASH: $ if -- ::00" ]]; then echo "true"; else echo "false"; fi false Mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement fails with integer expression expected

Below is what i have in my script. htcount=$(curl -s --user tomcatstatus:tomcatstatus http://`hostname`.mypc.com:887/manager/jmxproxy?qry=Catalina:type=ThreadPool,name=\"http-nio-887\" |grep sBusy | cut -d ' ' -f2) echo $htcount if ; then echo "more than 10" else echo "Less than 10" fi... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash read input in case statement not working as expected

I'm having an issue with bash read input when using a case statement. The script halts and doesn't read the input on the first loop. if I hit enter then the scripts starts to respond as expected. Need some help here. defaultans=8hrs read -e -i $defaultans -p "${bldwht}How long would you like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
5 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)