Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Output mean and standard deviation of a row Post 302785817 by PikK45 on Tuesday 26th of March 2013 12:00:58 PM
Old 03-26-2013
I just wanted to use NF so that we can use the same logic to many columns Smilie

And, your awk codes work perfect Smilie Started learning from you Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for finding standard deviation

I have a CSV file that looks like 0,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0 10,11,7,0,4,12,2,3,7,0,11,3,12,4,0,5,5,4,5,0,8,6,12,0,9,3,3,0,2,7,8 19,11,7,0,4,14,16,10,8,2,13,7,15,6,0,76,6,4,10,0,18,10,17,1,11,3,3,0,9,9,8... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJ17
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mean and Standard deviation

Hi all, I am new to shell scripting and wanna calculate the mean and standard deviation using shell programming. I have a file with letters that are repeating and their corresponding duration a 0.32 a 0.89 aa 0.34 aa 0.23 au 0.012 au 0.26... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmikanth.pg
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calculating the Standard Deviation for a column

Hi all, I want to calculate the standard deviation for a column (happens to be column 3). Does any know of simple awk script to do this? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kylle345
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to print average and standard deviation into a file

Hi I want to use awk to print avg and st deviation but it does not go into a file for column 1 only. I can do average and # of records but i cannot get st deviation. awk '{sum+=$1} END { print "Average = ",sum/NR}' thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Standard deviation in awk

Hi all, I need to find the standard deviation of each column of a dataset below for each hour. The data is given in 5 second intervals as shown below DATE TIME FRAC_DAYS_SINCE_JAN1 FRAC_HRS_SINCE_JAN1 EPOCH_TIME ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gd9629
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script for standard deviation / root mean square deviation

I have a file with say 50 columns, each containing a whole lot of data. Each column contains data from a separate simulation, but each simulation is related to the data in the last (REFERENCE) column $50 I need to calculate the RMS deviation for each data line, i.e. column 1 relative to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding standard deviation for all columns in a data file

Hi All, I want someone to modify the below script from this forum so that it can be used for all columns in the file( instead of only printing column 3 mean and standard deviation values). I don't know how to loop around all the columns. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculating row-wise standard deviation using awk

Hi, I have a file containing 100,000 rows-by-120 columns and I need to compute for the standard deviation for each row. Any idea on how to calculate row-wise standard deviation using awk? My sample data looks like this: input data: 23 35 12 25 16 17 18 19 29 12 12 26 15 14 15 23 12 12... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Computing average and standard deviation from multiple text files

Hello there, I found an elegant solution to computing average values from multiple text files awk '{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++){if ($i!~"n/a"){a+=$i}else{b++}}}END{for (i=1;i<=FNR;i++){for (j=1;j<=NF;j++){printf (a/(3-b))((b>0)?"~"b" ":" ")};printf "\n"}}' file1 file2 file3 I tried to modify... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charmmilein
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SMA (Single Moving Average) and Standard Deviation

Hello Team, I am using the following awk script to calculate the SMA (Single Moving Average) for an specific period but now I would like to include the standard deviation output. Could you please help me to modify this awk shell script awk -F, -v points=5 ' { a = $2; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: csierra
4 Replies
FBB::lm(3bobcat)					      OFoldStream manipulator						  FBB::lm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::lm - Manipulator setting left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The lm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to set the stream's left margin to a requested value. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be used for the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still once an lm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below). A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o lm(size_t newValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << lm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << lm(0) << flush << "at column 0 again "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/lm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), mlm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::lm(3bobcat)