Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Output mean and standard deviation of a row Post 302785799 by Yoda on Tuesday 26th of March 2013 11:41:56 AM
Old 03-26-2013
Code:
awk ' BEGIN {
        N = 3
} {
        for ( i = 1; i <= NF; i++ )
        {
                rec[NR] = $0
                sum[NR] += $i
                sumsq[NR] += $i * $i
        }
} END {
        for ( i = 1; i <= NR; i++ )
                print rec[i]" "sum[i]/N" "sqrt(sumsq[i]/N - (sum[i]/N)**2)
} ' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for finding standard deviation

I have a CSV file that looks like 0,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0 10,11,7,0,4,12,2,3,7,0,11,3,12,4,0,5,5,4,5,0,8,6,12,0,9,3,3,0,2,7,8 19,11,7,0,4,14,16,10,8,2,13,7,15,6,0,76,6,4,10,0,18,10,17,1,11,3,3,0,9,9,8... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJ17
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mean and Standard deviation

Hi all, I am new to shell scripting and wanna calculate the mean and standard deviation using shell programming. I have a file with letters that are repeating and their corresponding duration a 0.32 a 0.89 aa 0.34 aa 0.23 au 0.012 au 0.26... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmikanth.pg
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calculating the Standard Deviation for a column

Hi all, I want to calculate the standard deviation for a column (happens to be column 3). Does any know of simple awk script to do this? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kylle345
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to print average and standard deviation into a file

Hi I want to use awk to print avg and st deviation but it does not go into a file for column 1 only. I can do average and # of records but i cannot get st deviation. awk '{sum+=$1} END { print "Average = ",sum/NR}' thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Standard deviation in awk

Hi all, I need to find the standard deviation of each column of a dataset below for each hour. The data is given in 5 second intervals as shown below DATE TIME FRAC_DAYS_SINCE_JAN1 FRAC_HRS_SINCE_JAN1 EPOCH_TIME ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gd9629
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script for standard deviation / root mean square deviation

I have a file with say 50 columns, each containing a whole lot of data. Each column contains data from a separate simulation, but each simulation is related to the data in the last (REFERENCE) column $50 I need to calculate the RMS deviation for each data line, i.e. column 1 relative to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding standard deviation for all columns in a data file

Hi All, I want someone to modify the below script from this forum so that it can be used for all columns in the file( instead of only printing column 3 mean and standard deviation values). I don't know how to loop around all the columns. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculating row-wise standard deviation using awk

Hi, I have a file containing 100,000 rows-by-120 columns and I need to compute for the standard deviation for each row. Any idea on how to calculate row-wise standard deviation using awk? My sample data looks like this: input data: 23 35 12 25 16 17 18 19 29 12 12 26 15 14 15 23 12 12... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Computing average and standard deviation from multiple text files

Hello there, I found an elegant solution to computing average values from multiple text files awk '{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++){if ($i!~"n/a"){a+=$i}else{b++}}}END{for (i=1;i<=FNR;i++){for (j=1;j<=NF;j++){printf (a/(3-b))((b>0)?"~"b" ":" ")};printf "\n"}}' file1 file2 file3 I tried to modify... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charmmilein
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SMA (Single Moving Average) and Standard Deviation

Hello Team, I am using the following awk script to calculate the SMA (Single Moving Average) for an specific period but now I would like to include the standard deviation output. Could you please help me to modify this awk shell script awk -F, -v points=5 ' { a = $2; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: csierra
4 Replies
FBB::mlm(3bobcat)                                             OFoldStream manipulator                                            FBB::mlm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::mlm - Manipulator modifying left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The mlm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to modify the stream's left margin by a requested amount. The request cannot result in a negative left margin value. If a negative left margin would be the arithmetic result of the request then left margin 0 will silently be used. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be added to the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still empty once an mlm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below) A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o mlm(int addValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << mlm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << mlm(-10) << flush << "left margin -6 changed to 0, active on this line "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/mlm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), lm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)