Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep string in files and list file names that contain the string Post 302785779 by apenkov on Tuesday 26th of March 2013 11:09:30 AM
Old 03-26-2013
no, don't have zgrep.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a string from one file and searching the same string in other files

Hi, Need to extract a string from one file and search the same in other files. Ex: I have file1 of hundred lines with no delimiters not even space. I have 3 more files. I should get 1 to 10 characters say substring from each line of file1 and search that string in rest of the files and get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohancrr
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with grep on search string in a txt file over multiple files

I have a couple of things I got stuck on 1) I have a text file containing 25k search string that I need to search against compressed file. I have used this command but somehow it doesn't seems to use all the search terms. I have put one search string per line in the txt file (I clean up... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m00
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to extract sub-string out of file names

I have these files in a directory. It may have more class than the sample below: DEPT_CHEM101LEC_D_20110301.DAT DEPT_CHEM101LAB_D_20110301.DAT DEPT_BIO105LEC_D_20110325.DAT DEPT_BIO105LAB_D_20110325.DAT DEPT_CSC308LEC_D_20110327.DAT DEPT_CSC308LAB_D_20110327.DAT Is there way to extract out... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lv99
5 Replies

4. Programming

How to grep the specific string or user's list from the file

I have a file on UNIX system from where I want to grep the list of all users associated to the particular repository.If the user's list is in single line then I fetch all list but if it is in two separate lines it doesn't.I use the below command a=KESTREL-DEV;b=users;cat access_file|grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get file names from string

Hello folks, would like as for your help. I'm downloading list of files which need to be downloaded later. Via curl I'm getting this output: % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Curr. Dload Upload Total Current Left ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brusell
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a string in a list of files, print file names

I'm interested in writing a report script using BASH that searches all of the files in a particular directory for a keyword and printing a list of files containing this string... In fact this reporting script would have searches for multiple keywords, so I'm interested in making multiple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chemscripter904
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)