Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using and passing arguments to shuf within awk Post 302785693 by DerSeb on Tuesday 26th of March 2013 07:29:01 AM
Old 03-26-2013
I'm not used to perl, but this works nicely. Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing arguments

I'm trying to pass a filename, or all the files in the current directory to the ls command with a script. Unsuccessful so far, here are a few of my attempts: #!/bin/ksh read fname #if (( $# > 0 )); then $fname | ls -l #fi this produces a long listing of all the files in my current... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing strings as arguments

Is it possible to pass a string as an argument from the command line? I know I can pass a word in but can I put a line of text in with spaces and fullstops or do I just put it in brackets or quotes so the compiler can differinate between the first argument and the second. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iago
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Arguments-Help

Hi, I have a script which adds the user credentials to an ldap server. Im passing the variables as below.. /path/my_script $uname $pwd $environ ${deposit} If i enter some special characters like ';' in $pwd, script returns an error which is set to display if the user enters... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing arguments

Hi I have a script to which I pass multiple arguments, for example lets say the script name is "abc". I run the script like ./abc def /file <directory location> In the above "def" is the first argument and "/file" is the second argument. I expect <directory location> that is passed after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zmfcat1
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to awk

I have an awk script below which I call using for example awk -f ../../A-Scripts/select-model.awk iterations.txt 16x12 10 I want to be able to use it in a different way like this awk -f ../../A-Scripts/select-model.awk iterations.txt nxz=16x12 iter=10 or awk -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing arguments

I need to pass arguments to a shell script.My batch is calling some java program. ################# x=$1 y=$2 java -classpath program ################### if first parameter and second parameter is null then java -classpath program if first parameter is not null and second parameter is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnjx
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to csh

I have noticed this thing using csh when passing arguments Suppose I call a csh script using ../Scripts/plot-model.csh -vmod="npt02-z30.vmod" -R="0/80/0/30" -c="0/4.5" -aspr="1:10" Somehow the " get removed when doing $argv ending up with -vmod=npt02-z30.vmod... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a string and passing passing arguments to a while loop

I have an for loop that reads the following file cat param.cfg val1:env1:opt1 val2:env2:opt2 val3:env3:opt3 val4:env4:opt4 . . The for loop extracts the each line of the file so that at any one point, the value of i is val1:env1:opt1 etc... I would like to extract each... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments--Error

Hi, i have a file.txt with data Bangalore Chennai Hyd filename of the script is: new.sh result=`cat file.txt | grep $1` if then echo pass else echo fail fi i am executing the file in the cmd line as "sh new.sh Bangalore" o/p is pass if i give "sh new.sh delhi" o/p is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments that contain space

hi All, i am trying to pass arguments that contain space , value will be stored in variables to be used further in script , i went thru previous posting , still its not clear to how to implement for my case. passing 3 args test.sh it is 'fun to work in unix' inside shell ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvkk
3 Replies
CGI::Pretty(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  CGI::Pretty(3pm)

NAME
CGI::Pretty - module to produce nicely formatted HTML code SYNOPSIS
use CGI::Pretty qw( :html3 ); # Print a table with a single data element print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); DESCRIPTION
CGI::Pretty is a module that derives from CGI. It's sole function is to allow users of CGI to output nicely formatted HTML code. When using the CGI module, the following code: print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); produces the following output: <TABLE><TR><TD>foo</TD></TR></TABLE> If a user were to create a table consisting of many rows and many columns, the resultant HTML code would be quite difficult to read since it has no carriage returns or indentation. CGI::Pretty fixes this problem. What it does is add a carriage return and indentation to the HTML code so that one can easily read it. print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); now produces the following output: <TABLE> <TR> <TD>foo</TD> </TR> </TABLE> Recommendation for when to use CGI::Pretty CGI::Pretty is far slower than using CGI.pm directly. A benchmark showed that it could be about 10 times slower. Adding newlines and spaces may alter the rendered appearance of HTML. Also, the extra newlines and spaces also make the file size larger, making the files take longer to download. With all those considerations, it is recommended that CGI::Pretty be used primarily for debugging. Tags that won't be formatted The following tags are not formatted: <a>, <pre>, <code>, <script>, <textarea>, and <td>. If these tags were formatted, the user would see the extra indentation on the web browser causing the page to look different than what would be expected. If you wish to add more tags to the list of tags that are not to be touched, push them onto the @AS_IS array: push @CGI::Pretty::AS_IS,qw(XMP); Customizing the Indenting If you wish to have your own personal style of indenting, you can change the $INDENT variable: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = " "; would cause the indents to be two tabs. Similarly, if you wish to have more space between lines, you may change the $LINEBREAK variable: $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = " "; would create two carriage returns between lines. If you decide you want to use the regular CGI indenting, you can easily do the following: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = ""; AUTHOR
Brian Paulsen <Brian@ThePaulsens.com>, with minor modifications by Lincoln Stein <lstein@cshl.org> for incorporation into the CGI.pm distribution. Copyright 1999, Brian Paulsen. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. Bug reports and comments to Brian@ThePaulsens.com. You can also write to lstein@cshl.org, but this code looks pretty hairy to me and I'm not sure I understand it! SEE ALSO
CGI perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 CGI::Pretty(3pm)