Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to rename the extension of a file? Post 302785647 by PikK45 on Tuesday 26th of March 2013 05:44:04 AM
Old 03-26-2013
Code:
file_name="rscclog_2013-03-25.txt;3"
mv $file_name $(echo $file_name | sed 's/;[0-9]*//g')

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursicely search and rename file extension

Greetings to all!!:b: I have one root folder containing several other folders inside it. This tree structure is deep. And the files are of similar extension. I need to start at the top level and recursively search and rename all the files with say .a extension to .b . This is the code to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: riverside
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename file extension

I am trying for loop to rename file extension from .txt to .html : as below : for i in *.txt; do mv "$i" `basename $i`.html; done ------------------------------------------- But this renames a file file1.txt as file1.txt.html anyone know how get avoid .html added after .txt ? it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to rename or change file extension case.

I searched the forum, but there was different type of rename. Hello. I have files in folder. Like: xxxxxxxx1.html or xxxxxxxx2.txt or xxxxxxxx3.tar.gz and how to rename or change file extension case to xxxxxxxx1.htm or xxxxxxx2.TXT or (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheldon
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename a file with new extension

Hi guys, i had many files like filename.20110520_20110519_050030 i have to rename the file by removint the last numerics .. i.e filename.dat i tried with cut command and removed the numerics but i'm not able to add .dat to the files. is there any command insted of cut command to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apple2685
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh command to rename all files with no extension

hi! i want to rename all files with no extension with the extension DAT. with this command ls |grep -v "\\." i can list files but i dont know how i am going to rename them.. so i tried FILE_LIST=ls |grep -v "\\." for TEST_FILE in ${FILE_LIST} do mv $TEST_FILE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kouppoua
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename file to uppercase except extension

Hi, I am trying to make all file in the directory uppercase but not their extension (ex: image.jpg becoming IMAGE.jpg) here is code i am trying. $ ls | while read file do name=${file%%.*} newfilename=$(echo $name | tr 'a-z' 'A-Z') mv $file $newfilename done any suggestions of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: johninweb
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename all files (filename with spaces) to different extension

Hi, I have files with filenames as below. SGM Daily Sales Email-en-us-05312012.xlwa I want to rename it in .xls. I am writing a script to change this, as there can be multiple files in subfolders. I have the following script. #!/bin/ksh for oldfile in $(find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename file extension.

I have a list file that contains names of many files. I am reading one file name at a time using for loop Then I like to create one more list file but with the file extension changed to "ctl". Note: The file name can have any number of dots ".". But the extension after the last dot should be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename except dot file extension

After reading the manual of the command rename I would like to apply it to a folder with a couple of files containing old style dots before the file-type, e.g. up.to.the.roof.avi. So I'd like to rename them without the dots in between. Therefore I tried it the following way rename -f -n ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies
SHTOOL-MDATE.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-MDATE.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-mdate - GNU shtool pretty-print last modification time SYNOPSIS
shtool mdate [-n|--newline] [-z|--zero] [-s|--shorten] [-d|--digits] [-f|--field-sep str] [-o|--order spec] path DESCRIPTION
This command pretty-prints the last modification time of a given file or directory path, while still allowing one to specify the format of the date to display. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -n, --newline By default, output is written to stdout followed by a "newline" (ASCII character 0x0a). If option -n is used, this newline character is omitted. -z, --zero Pads numeric day and numeric month with a leading zero. Default is to have variable width. -s, --shorten Shortens the name of the month to a english three character abbreviation. Default is full english name. This option is silently ignored when combined with -d. -d, --digits Use digits for month. Default is to use a english name. -f, --field-sep str Field separator string between the day month year tripple. Default is a single space character. -o, --order spec Specifies order of the day month year elements within the tripple. Each element represented as a single character out of ``"d"'', ``"m"'' and ``"y"''. The default for spec is ``"dmy"''. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool mdate -n / shtool mdate -f '/' -z -d -o ymd foo.txt shtool mdate -f '-' -s foo.txt HISTORY
The GNU shtool mdate command was originally written by Ulrich Drepper in 1995 and revised by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for inclusion into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), date(1), ls(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-MDATE.TMP(1)