Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX The life cycle of System logfiles Post 302785447 by vbe on Monday 25th of March 2013 04:07:19 PM
Old 03-25-2013
Not quite ...
You will always have e.g. syslog.log:
syslog.log -> the current always a new file ater reboot
OLDsyslog.log -> the previous (always overwritten...)

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Logfiles

My server has only has access logs turned on. How do I turn on the other standard logs (i.e. I'd like to see the referring urls). Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingdom
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Controlling logfiles

I support an app that outputs alert and audit messages to one log file (vendor says they can't be separated). The script that I have written takes a copy (mv cmd) of the file to do the separation and reformatting. I have a problem that I loose records (messages are being written constantly, upto 3+... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logfiles E-mailed

Hi All There are some cron jobs ,which runs 24 hrs. Log files are generated when one job fails. So I need the log files to be emailed to my personal e-mail id. So that I can see the log files at my home If there is any error. How can I implement this in Unix shell programming. Thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deep_kol
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

End of Life / Life Cycle Information

Hello everyone, I was searching for locations where I can get End of Life information on multiple versions of Unix. I have found some information which I list below, what I have not found or confirmed is where I can get the information for: DEC Unix/OSF1 V4.0D NCR Unix SVR4 MP-RAS Rel 3.02.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertmcol
2 Replies

5. Solaris

system logs' life

How can you control old system logs keep(or storage) time in Solaris ? Is there any method ? it depends on buffer size long or date long ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xramm
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

split monthly logfiles into daily logfiles

Hi, I have a lot of logfiles like fooYYYYMM.log (foo200301.log, foo200810.log) with lines like YYYY-MM-DD TIMESTAMP,text1,text2,text3... but I need (for postprocessing) the form fooYYYYMMDD.log (so foo200402.log becomes foo20040201.log, foo20040202.log...) with unmodified content of lines. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clzupp
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logfiles

Hi All, I have a peculiar problem. I will call a script from another script. Script abc.ksh is called by ABC.ksh as ABC.ksh abc.ksh in abc.ksh I will create and redirect all the statements to log file. ABC.ksh will also has a log file. I want all the logs generated in file abc in ABC... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeed7
5 Replies
picld_log(3PICLTREE)					  PICL Plug-In Library Functions				      picld_log(3PICLTREE)

NAME
picld_log - log a message in system log SYNOPSIS
cc [flag ...] file ... -lpicltree [library ...] #include <picltree.h> void picld_log(const char *msg); DESCRIPTION
The picld_log() function logs the message specified in msg to the system log file using syslog(3C). This function is used by the PICL dae- mon and the plug-in modules to log messages to inform users of any error or warning conditions. RETURN VALUES
This function does not return a value. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
syslog(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 28 Mar 2000 picld_log(3PICLTREE)