Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Postfix Configuration:Hostname/Domain Name Doubts Post 302785381 by RedSpyder on Monday 25th of March 2013 01:22:12 PM
Old 03-25-2013
Error Postfix Configuration:Hostname/Domain Name Doubts

I have a RHEL server where I want to create a mail server so I can send myself alerts whenever X process have problems.

Disclaimer:
Im a programmer thats been forced to do IT. So I'm trying my best here.

The problem:
While configuring Postfix it asks for $myhostname which apparently must be in the format hostname.mydomain.com. I do have my $hostname but I dont know the "mydomain" part.

Do "mydomain" is something I create or its something I should get my the networks admins since the server is connected to my company's network?

If you need output from specific commands let me know.

/etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/hosts:
Code:
[root@isvahlrtk01 postfix]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=isvahlrtk01
GATEWAY=XX.XX.XX.XX
[root@isvahlrtk01 postfix]# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4 isvahlrtk01
::1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
XX.XX.XX.XX isvahlrtk01

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by RedSpyder; 03-25-2013 at 03:10 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

qmail configuration in redhat linux - doubts

hi, How to Install & configure the qmail in redhat linux? and also how to get the free qmail package? I know the sendmail configuration in redhat linux. What is the features of qmail compared with sendmail? Regards, Jones (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jones_linux
3 Replies

2. Solaris

List of Hostname under NIS Domain

How do I find a list of hosts under a domainname on a NIS+ I did check nisls command , I could not find any ??? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

My domain name as my IRC hostname?

When I connect to any IRC server, it's usually my ISP IP address/hostname. I own a domain, but I'm not using it for anything (no web hosting service or server). Is it possible for me to use my domain as my IRC hostname instead of my regular ISP hostname? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

FQDN into domain name and hostname

I'm working on a rather large script atm (it already takes 9 arguments). As such, I need to obtain both a server name and domain from the FQDN. From this, I want to both populate the hostname of the server, as well as the domain line in the /etc/resolv.conf file. Obviously, this isn't working. I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PostFix configuration

Hello I'm new in this forum so I don't know if this is the correct page for my question. We have a server ,running RedHat 3, with installed Postfix 2.2.11 with Amavis , SpamAssassin and ClamAv. This server is used by several years without problem. Now we have some some problems with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: giorgiocol78
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

postfix config: how to relay mails for only one user of a certain domain

Hello there, First of all I tell you that this is my first postfix installation so please be patient... I have following scenario: fetchmail --> postfix --> amavis-new --> postfix --> exchange 2010. Everything -except exchange ;-)- runs on an opensuse 12.1 box. Now, I have a list of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lpacor
0 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Hello there, First of all I tell you that this is my first postfix installation so please be patient... I have following scenario: fetchmail --> postfix --> amavis-new --> postfix --> exchange 2010. Everything -except exchange ;-)- runs on an opensuse 12.1 box. Now, I have a list of... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hello there, First of all I tell you that this is my first postfix installation so please be patient... I have following scenario: fetchmail --> postfix --> amavis-new --> postfix --> exchange 2010. Everything -except exchange ;-)- runs on an opensuse 12.1 box. Now, I have a list of... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nLocal sendmail issues when hostname not set in official domain name

Hi, I'm having issues with sendmail when I try to send host to host mail. I've had to change the "my official domain name" line to mycompany.com to get the mails through the external spam filter, when a mail was sent with hostname.mycompany.com it was blocked. I had to change the Dj macro... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: elcounto
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Postfix Configuration

Hi, i have to configure postfix in this mode: - if i receive a mail from a@a.a relay to - if i receive a mail NOT from a@a.a relay the mail to user "test" that is on localhost For the first rule i do this in main.cf: sender_dependent_default_transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_check... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: certo85
0 Replies
YPSERV.ACL(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						     YPSERV.ACL(5)

NAME
ypserv.acl -- ypserv(8) configuration file DESCRIPTION
The ypserv.acl file controls which hosts can connect to the YP server. The format is more complex than the format for securenet(5). The first two verbs on each line controls if the line will allow or deny access for a host, network (net) or all hosts. The YP server reads the configuration file and build a list in memory. This list is processed from the beginning for every incomming request. As soon a match is found in the list the search terminates and it returns success or failure depending on allow or deny. If no match was found in the list success is returned. If access is denied every call will cause a no such domain error for the caller. Don't forget to allow localhost access if you want the machine running ypserv access it too. There is no default name for this file. Start ypserv with a -a filename to read a file with this format. The following different syntax can be used: < allow|deny > host < hostname|ip-address > If hostname has more than one ip address then all will be added to the list. < allow|deny > net < netname|netnumber > [netmask <netname|netnumber>] If netmask part of the command isn't given then the netmask will be assumed to be a class A, B or C net depending on the net number. < allow|deny > all A line containing one of these commands will always match any host. EXAMPLES
A configuration file might appear as follows: # This is an example of an access control file to be used by ypserv. # # This file is parsed line by line. First match will terminate the check # of the caller. # ########################################################################### # This is the commands that will match a single host # # allow host <hostname|ip-address> # deny host <hostname|ip-address> # # To process hostname gethostbyname is called. If the hostname has # multiple ip-addresses all will be added (I hope). ip-address # processed by inet_aton. allow host localhost deny host jodie ########################################################################### # This is the commands that will match a network # # allow net <netname|netnumber> [netmask <netname|netnumber>] # deny net <netname|netnumber> [netmask <netname|netnumber>] # # To process netname getnetbyname is called, and inet_aton is used for # netnumber. inet_aton both access numbers as 255.255.255.0 and 0xffffff00. # # If netmask isn't given the parser will assume netmask from the first bits # of the network number. So if the network is subneted the you have to add # the netmask. In my case I've got the network 139.58.253.0 at home so too # allow any of my computers to talk with the server I need the following # line # allow net mojathome netmask 255.255.255.0 ########################################################################### # At last we have a command that will match any caller: # # allow all # deny all # # reject all connections deny all FILES
/var/yp/ypserv.acl A ypserv(8) configuration file. SEE ALSO
yp(8), ypserv(8), securenet(5) AUTHOR
Mats O Jansson <moj@stacken.kth.se> BSD
July 2, 1994 BSD