Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What are the executable file formats in Solaris and Linux? Post 302785379 by Yoda on Monday 25th of March 2013 01:29:11 PM
Old 03-25-2013
In Linux, file types are not recognized by file extensions. It is actually determined by the data in a file. The file extension doesn't even matter.

If you run file command on any file, three sets of tests, performed in this order: filesystem tests, magic number tests and language tests to determine the file type.

Go over the file command manual for more information:
Code:
man file

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Script to move executable to quarantine

Please help! I am preparing a Linux Script to move windows executable files from samba directory to quarantine directory. For safety, will use "file" command to determine if its executable. Anyone can help? Below is my trial script, but it just move everything, including non-executable.. any wrong... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavintam
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Executable compiled on solaris 10 not working on solaris 9

Hi I compiled an executable on Solaris 10 which creates semaphore ( semget) but it didn't work on solaris 9 , while it is executing sucessfully on solaris 10. It is throwing the system error that Invalid arguments ( system error 22) on solaris 9. the ldd for the executable on two servers is as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ash_bit2k2
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Executable file on Solaris

Hi! What are executable file formats in Solaris? Can someone please share it? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klyde
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing formats (bold) from UNIX file

Hi , Could you please guide me how to remove formatting (bold text) in a unix file? vi editor showing like this... ^ Cat command showing like this... tl21ss01 tl21ss02 tl21ss03 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the File name of perl executable in Linux

Hi All, I just want to know how to get the executable name of the perl script as i know "$0" will give me the script name but i want to know the executable name which i got it from the script using pp command. Regards Raj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kar_333
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to check the file formats

Hi, I want to check the incoming files whether the file is Mac file or dos/windows file in unix shell script. Sometimes client is posting Mac file and sometimes it is dos file. Could you please help me how to determine/check whether the file is Mac or dos. Help in advance Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lkeswar
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to encrypt the xls file using executable jar in Linux SUSE 11.4

Dear Experts, I am an ERP consultant and would like to learn shell script. We are working on Linux SUSE 11.4 and I am very new to shell scripting. We can manually encrypt an excel file using "executable jar" through command prompt by placing the jar file & the file to be encrypted on a physical... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nithin226
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to make a .exe file executable in Linux?

Dear all, I download a .exe file in my current folder called: ukbmd5.exe. I was told to run the command below: ukbmd5 ukb25278.enc to verify the integrity of the files that you have downloaded and the program ukbmd5 has been made available to assist with decrpying ukb25278.enc. while when I run... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forevertl
1 Replies
GZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. GZEXE(1)