Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX The life cycle of System logfiles Post 302785293 by vbe on Monday 25th of March 2013 09:15:11 AM
Old 03-25-2013
The default ( I dont know about the latest releases since I have none to look at...) was the file lives its life till next reboot where it becomes an OLDlogfil.log overwriting any existent and a new log file and a new one created...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Logfiles

My server has only has access logs turned on. How do I turn on the other standard logs (i.e. I'd like to see the referring urls). Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingdom
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Controlling logfiles

I support an app that outputs alert and audit messages to one log file (vendor says they can't be separated). The script that I have written takes a copy (mv cmd) of the file to do the separation and reformatting. I have a problem that I loose records (messages are being written constantly, upto 3+... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logfiles E-mailed

Hi All There are some cron jobs ,which runs 24 hrs. Log files are generated when one job fails. So I need the log files to be emailed to my personal e-mail id. So that I can see the log files at my home If there is any error. How can I implement this in Unix shell programming. Thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deep_kol
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

End of Life / Life Cycle Information

Hello everyone, I was searching for locations where I can get End of Life information on multiple versions of Unix. I have found some information which I list below, what I have not found or confirmed is where I can get the information for: DEC Unix/OSF1 V4.0D NCR Unix SVR4 MP-RAS Rel 3.02.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertmcol
2 Replies

5. Solaris

system logs' life

How can you control old system logs keep(or storage) time in Solaris ? Is there any method ? it depends on buffer size long or date long ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xramm
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

split monthly logfiles into daily logfiles

Hi, I have a lot of logfiles like fooYYYYMM.log (foo200301.log, foo200810.log) with lines like YYYY-MM-DD TIMESTAMP,text1,text2,text3... but I need (for postprocessing) the form fooYYYYMMDD.log (so foo200402.log becomes foo20040201.log, foo20040202.log...) with unmodified content of lines. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clzupp
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logfiles

Hi All, I have a peculiar problem. I will call a script from another script. Script abc.ksh is called by ABC.ksh as ABC.ksh abc.ksh in abc.ksh I will create and redirect all the statements to log file. ABC.ksh will also has a log file. I want all the logs generated in file abc in ABC... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeed7
5 Replies
HALT(8) 						Linux System Administrator's Manual						   HALT(8)

NAME
halt, reboot, poweroff - stop the system. SYNOPSIS
/sbin/halt [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-p] [-h] /sbin/reboot [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] /sbin/poweroff [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-h] DESCRIPTION
Halt notes that the system is being brought down in the file /var/log/wtmp, and then either tells the kernel to halt, reboot or poweroff the system. If halt or reboot is called when the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6, in other words when it's running normally, shutdown will be invoked instead (with the -h or -r flag). For more info see the shutdown(8) manpage. The rest of this manpage describes the behaviour in runlevels 0 and 6, that is when the systems shutdown scripts are being run. OPTIONS
-n Don't sync before reboot or halt. -w Don't actually reboot or halt but only write the wtmp record (in the /var/log/wtmp file). -d Don't write the wtmp record. The -n flag implies -d. -f Force halt or reboot, don't call shutdown(8). -i Shut down all network interfaces just before halt or reboot. -h Put all harddrives on the system in standby mode just before halt or poweroff. -p When halting the system, do a poweroff. This is the default when halt is called as poweroff. DIAGNOSTICS
If you're not the superuser, you will get the message `must be superuser'. NOTES
Under older sysvinit releases , reboot and halt should never be called directly. From release 2.74 on halt and reboot invoke shutdown(8) if the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6. This means that if halt or reboot cannot find out the current runlevel (for example, when /var/run/utmp hasn't been initialized correctly) shutdown will be called, which might not be what you want. Use the -f flag if you want to do a hard halt or reboot. The -h flag puts all harddisks in standby mode just before halt or poweroff. Right now this is only implemented for IDE drives. A side effect of putting the drive in standby mode is that the write cache on the disk is flushed. This is important for IDE drives, since the kernel doesn't flush the write-cache itself before poweroff. The halt program uses /proc/ide/hd* to find all IDE disk devices, which means that /proc needs to be mounted when halt or poweroff is called or the -h switch will do nothing. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8) Nov 6, 2001 HALT(8)