Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX The life cycle of System logfiles Post 302785293 by vbe on Monday 25th of March 2013 09:15:11 AM
Old 03-25-2013
The default ( I dont know about the latest releases since I have none to look at...) was the file lives its life till next reboot where it becomes an OLDlogfil.log overwriting any existent and a new log file and a new one created...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Logfiles

My server has only has access logs turned on. How do I turn on the other standard logs (i.e. I'd like to see the referring urls). Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingdom
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Controlling logfiles

I support an app that outputs alert and audit messages to one log file (vendor says they can't be separated). The script that I have written takes a copy (mv cmd) of the file to do the separation and reformatting. I have a problem that I loose records (messages are being written constantly, upto 3+... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logfiles E-mailed

Hi All There are some cron jobs ,which runs 24 hrs. Log files are generated when one job fails. So I need the log files to be emailed to my personal e-mail id. So that I can see the log files at my home If there is any error. How can I implement this in Unix shell programming. Thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deep_kol
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

End of Life / Life Cycle Information

Hello everyone, I was searching for locations where I can get End of Life information on multiple versions of Unix. I have found some information which I list below, what I have not found or confirmed is where I can get the information for: DEC Unix/OSF1 V4.0D NCR Unix SVR4 MP-RAS Rel 3.02.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertmcol
2 Replies

5. Solaris

system logs' life

How can you control old system logs keep(or storage) time in Solaris ? Is there any method ? it depends on buffer size long or date long ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xramm
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

split monthly logfiles into daily logfiles

Hi, I have a lot of logfiles like fooYYYYMM.log (foo200301.log, foo200810.log) with lines like YYYY-MM-DD TIMESTAMP,text1,text2,text3... but I need (for postprocessing) the form fooYYYYMMDD.log (so foo200402.log becomes foo20040201.log, foo20040202.log...) with unmodified content of lines. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clzupp
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logfiles

Hi All, I have a peculiar problem. I will call a script from another script. Script abc.ksh is called by ABC.ksh as ABC.ksh abc.ksh in abc.ksh I will create and redirect all the statements to log file. ABC.ksh will also has a log file. I want all the logs generated in file abc in ABC... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeed7
5 Replies
reboot(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 reboot(8)

NAME
reboot, halt, poweroff - reboot or stop the system SYNOPSIS
reboot [OPTION]... halt [OPTION]... poweroff [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
These programs allow a system administrator to reboot, halt or poweroff the system. When called with --force or when in runlevel 0 or 6, this tool invokes the reboot(2) system call itself and directly reboots the system. Otherwise this simply invokes the shutdown(8) tool with the appropriate arguments. Before invoking reboot(2), a shutdown time record is first written to /var/log/wtmp OPTIONS
-f, --force Does not invoke shutdown(8) and instead performs the actual action you would expect from the name. -p, --poweroff Instructs the halt command to instead behave as poweroff. -w, --wtmp-only Does not call shutdown(8) or the reboot(2) system call and instead only writes the shutdown record to /var/log/wtmp --verbose Outputs slightly more verbose messages when rebooting, useful for debugging problems with shutdown. ENVIRONMENT
RUNLEVEL reboot will read the current runlevel from this environment variable if set in preference to reading from /var/run/utmp FILES
/var/run/utmp Where the current runlevel will be read from; this file will also be updated with the runlevel record being replaced by a shutdown time record. /var/log/wtmp A new runlevel record for the shutdown time will be appended to this file. AUTHOR
Written by Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs at <https://launchpad.net/upstart/+bugs> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Canonical Ltd. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8) telinit(8) runlevel(8) Upstart 2009-07-09 reboot(8)