Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using grep or something similar to invert search. Post 302785271 by matcam79 on Monday 25th of March 2013 07:34:36 AM
Old 03-25-2013
Hi,

it seems you need to actually use /usr/xpg4/bin/grep to obtain patter for file, not the default /usr/bin/grep.

Hanson44, using the -f together with the -v option then worked. Many thanks for your help!

Matthew

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing the invert of the last field of awk

in csh set x = "/home/usr/dir1/file1" if i do: echo $x | awk -F\/ '{print $NF}' will result to: "file1" how do i invert the output to: "/home/usr/dir1" :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jehrome_rando
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the similar command for "grep -v" in nawk?

Can any one please say about the below, using, grep -v "name" file.txt the result of above command will be it will print all the lines except the line which having the word "name" similarly, nawk 'c-->0;$0~s{if(b)for(c=b+1;c>1;c--)print r;print;c=a}b{r=$0}' b=0 a=1 s="name" file.txt ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prsam
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in grep function or similar using awk

I have a list of id; for example: file 1 dfghd dfghe dfgey dfgeu I have another data file that contain this ids as headers; for ex. file2 >dfghd gfdgfddl;klfkld;ld;lgl;dld'l'dv >dfghe gkwhjhsgdjdjdjhjddj >dfgey jdkjfhdjhfdkjhfdkhkdk I wanted to compare file 1 and file 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invert Matrix of Data - Perl

I have columnar data in arrays perl, Example - @a = (1,2,3); @array1 = (A,B,C); @array2 = (D,E,F); @array3 = (I,R,T); I want the data to be formatted and printed as 1 A D I 2 B E F 3 C F T and so on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
8 Replies

5. Programming

How to invert order in QuickSort

Hello! Iam trying to reverse my order of quicksort in C from asc order (1-99) that is the original way of the algoritm, to descending (99-1). I've tried so many ways that iam a kind of lost now!:s The original quicksort is: void swap(int* a, int* B) { int tmp; tmp = *a; *a = *b; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rafazz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to search similar strings and add their values

Hi, I have a text file with the following content: monday,20 tuesday,10 wednesday,29 monday,10 friday,12 wednesday,14 monday,15 thursday,34 i want the following output: monday,45 tuesday,10 wednesday,43 friday,12 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashu_g
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to search similar strings and arrange in a specified pattern

Hi, I'm running a DB query which returns names of people and writes it in a text file as shown below: Carey, Jim; Cena, John Cena, John Sen, Tim; Burt, Terrence Lock, Jessey; Carey, Jim Norris, Chuck; Lee, Bruce Rock, Dwayne; Lee, Bruce I want to use awk and get all the names... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashu_g
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To search for a particular tag in xml and collate all similar tag values and display them count

I want to basically do the below thing. Suppose there is a tag called object1. I want to display an output for all similar tag values under heading of Object 1 and the count of the xmls. Please help File: <xml><object1>house</object1><object2>child</object2>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies
fgrep(1)							   User Commands							  fgrep(1)

NAME
fgrep - search a file for a fixed-character string SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] [-e pattern_list] [-f pattern-file] [pattern] [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] [-e pattern_list] [-f pattern-file] [pattern] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The fgrep (fast grep) utility searches files for a character string and prints all lines that contain that string. fgrep is different from grep(1) and from egrep(1) because it searches for a string, instead of searching for a pattern that matches an expression. fgrep uses a fast and compact algorithm. The characters $, *, [, ^, |, (, ), and are interpreted literally by fgrep, that is, fgrep does not recognize full regular expressions as does egrep. These characters have special meaning to the shell. Therefore, to be safe, enclose the entire string within single quotes ('). If no files are specified, fgrep assumes standard input. Normally, each line that is found is copied to the standard output. The file name is printed before each line that is found if there is more than one input file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b Precedes each line by the block number on which the line was found. This can be useful in locating block numbers by con- text. The first block is 0. -c Prints only a count of the lines that contain the pattern. -e pattern_list Searches for a string in pattern-list. This is useful when the string begins with a -. -f pattern-file Takes the list of patterns from pattern-file. -h Suppresses printing of files when searching multiple files. -i Ignores upper/lower case distinction during comparisons. -l Prints the names of files with matching lines once, separated by new-lines. Does not repeat the names of files when the pattern is found more than once. -n Precedes each line by its line number in the file. The first line is 1. -s Works silently, that is, displays nothing except error messages. This is useful for checking the error status. -v Prints all lines except those that contain the pattern. -x Prints only lines that are matched entirely. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file Specifies a path name of a file to be searched for the patterns. If no file operands are specified, the standard input will be used. /usr/bin/fgrep pattern Specifies a pattern to be used during the search for input. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep pattern Specifies one or more patterns to be used during the search for input. This operand is treated as if it were specified as -e pattern_list. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of fgrep when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of fgrep: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 If any matches are found 1 If no matches are found 2 For syntax errors or inaccessible files, even if matches were found. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/fgrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ed(1), egrep(1), grep(1), sed(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), XPG4(5) NOTES
Ideally, there should be only one grep command, but there is not a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited only by the size of the available virtual memory. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep The /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep utility is identical to /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F (see grep(1)). Portable applications should use /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F. SunOS 5.10 4 Oct 2002 fgrep(1)