Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading files of different type and same basename Post 302785005 by RudiC on Sunday 24th of March 2013 06:47:14 AM
Old 03-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
. . . having defined user shell functions ufctn to just echo the parameter.
Did you ever hear about shell functions? You may call them subroutines as well... man bash:
Quote:
Shell Function Definitions
A shell function is an object that is called like a simple command and executes a compound command with a new set of positional
parameters. Shell functions are declared as follows:

name () compound-command [redirection]
function name [()] compound-command [redirection]
This defines a function named name. The reserved word function is optional.
I'm not sure what else you need? Want it spoon fed?
Code:
$ ufct1() { echo $1 double; }
$ ufct2() { echo $1 single; }

Put your processing into those functions.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Type v for generated files

Hi All, I was checking some of the files and I got the following entries:- =============== v, 664, serv, serv, version.txt, exe L, 775, serv, serv, start.sh, eventserv ================ Could someone please tell me what does the type"v" and "L" represent to. I have not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[php] ftp get all files from a certain file type

Hi all, I googled for this kind of function but didn't find anything. I have an FTP connection with a server, went to the dir. In this dir there are several TXT files. I would like to have function that downloads all this files, based on their .txt extension. In bash, for example, simply:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: laurens
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting older files of a particular type

hi This should be easy but i'm obviously missing something obvious. :) I'm looking to delete files from yesterday and older of extension .txt and there a range of subfolders with these files in them. The command runs but doesn't delete anything. SUSE 10. find /testfolder -maxdepth 2 -type f... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmap
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find -type d returning files as well as directories

Can anyone see why the following command returns all files and not just the directories as specified? find . -type d -exec ls -F {} \; Also tried find . -type d -name "*" -exec ls -F {} \; find . -type d -name "*" -exec ls -F '{}' \; -print Always returns all files :-\ OS is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuns99
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files of the same type if there are more than 3

hi, I would like to delete files in a folder starting with letters ab and fe and so on. It should only delete if there are more than 3 files of that type in that folder. Please suggest me how to write a script. i am new to this scripting. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sneddy
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search in one type of files and replace

I am not sure how to search and replace the word in the few specific files. I need to search and replace word in only the name containing pepsi in the filename. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Errors trying to use all files of a type

I am trying to create a code that will use all the bam files stored on a separate drive (/media/cmccabe/C2F8EFBFF8EFAFB9/pool_I_090215), run them in a program that I have changed the directory to, and the output gets re-directed to (/home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/pool_I_090215). I have tried the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Latest list of files of each type

find /tmp/testlog/kSR*"_"2018* -type f -printf '%T@ %p\n' | sort -n | tail -3 | cut -f2- -d" " /tmp/testlog/log/KSR04_2018-07-05.log /tmp/testlog/log/KSR04_2018-07-06.log /tmp/testlog/log/KSR01_2018-07-06.log But, I would see the following output(latest files for each KSR tuype) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
3 Replies
PTARGREP(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       PTARGREP(1)

NAME
ptargrep - Apply pattern matching to the contents of files in a tar archive SYNOPSIS
ptargrep [options] <pattern> <tar file> ... Options: --basename|-b ignore directory paths from archive --ignore-case|-i do case-insensitive pattern matching --list-only|-l list matching filenames rather than extracting matches --verbose|-v write debugging message to STDERR --help|-? detailed help message DESCRIPTION
This utility allows you to apply pattern matching to the contents of files contained in a tar archive. You might use this to identify all files in an archive which contain lines matching the specified pattern and either print out the pathnames or extract the files. The pattern will be used as a Perl regular expression (as opposed to a simple grep regex). Multiple tar archive filenames can be specified - they will each be processed in turn. OPTIONS
--basename (alias -b) When matching files are extracted, ignore the directory path from the archive and write to the current directory using the basename of the file from the archive. Beware: if two matching files in the archive have the same basename, the second file extracted will overwrite the first. --ignore-case (alias -i) Make pattern matching case-insensitive. --list-only (alias -l) Print the pathname of each matching file from the archive to STDOUT. Without this option, the default behaviour is to extract each matching file. --verbose (alias -v) Log debugging info to STDERR. --help (alias -?) Display this documentation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2010 Grant McLean <grantm@cpan.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2013-08-25 PTARGREP(1)