Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading files of different type and same basename Post 302784997 by RudiC on Sunday 24th of March 2013 06:17:43 AM
Old 03-24-2013
Not sure I understood your sophisticated specification, but as a starting point you could evaluate this one:
Code:
ls *.txt *.asc |
  cut -d\. -f1 |
  uniq -c -w7  |
  while read CNT FILE
    do [ "$CNT" -eq 2 ] && { ufct1 "${FILE}.asc"; ufct1 "${FILE}.txt"; } || ufct2 "$FILE*"
    done
file_1.asc
file_1.txt
file_2.txt
file_3.asc
file_3.txt
file_4.asc
file_4.txt
file_6.txt
file_7.asc
file_8.txt

having defined user shell functions ufctn to just echo the parameter.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Type v for generated files

Hi All, I was checking some of the files and I got the following entries:- =============== v, 664, serv, serv, version.txt, exe L, 775, serv, serv, start.sh, eventserv ================ Could someone please tell me what does the type"v" and "L" represent to. I have not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[php] ftp get all files from a certain file type

Hi all, I googled for this kind of function but didn't find anything. I have an FTP connection with a server, went to the dir. In this dir there are several TXT files. I would like to have function that downloads all this files, based on their .txt extension. In bash, for example, simply:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: laurens
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting older files of a particular type

hi This should be easy but i'm obviously missing something obvious. :) I'm looking to delete files from yesterday and older of extension .txt and there a range of subfolders with these files in them. The command runs but doesn't delete anything. SUSE 10. find /testfolder -maxdepth 2 -type f... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmap
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find -type d returning files as well as directories

Can anyone see why the following command returns all files and not just the directories as specified? find . -type d -exec ls -F {} \; Also tried find . -type d -name "*" -exec ls -F {} \; find . -type d -name "*" -exec ls -F '{}' \; -print Always returns all files :-\ OS is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuns99
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files of the same type if there are more than 3

hi, I would like to delete files in a folder starting with letters ab and fe and so on. It should only delete if there are more than 3 files of that type in that folder. Please suggest me how to write a script. i am new to this scripting. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sneddy
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search in one type of files and replace

I am not sure how to search and replace the word in the few specific files. I need to search and replace word in only the name containing pepsi in the filename. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Errors trying to use all files of a type

I am trying to create a code that will use all the bam files stored on a separate drive (/media/cmccabe/C2F8EFBFF8EFAFB9/pool_I_090215), run them in a program that I have changed the directory to, and the output gets re-directed to (/home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/pool_I_090215). I have tried the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Latest list of files of each type

find /tmp/testlog/kSR*"_"2018* -type f -printf '%T@ %p\n' | sort -n | tail -3 | cut -f2- -d" " /tmp/testlog/log/KSR04_2018-07-05.log /tmp/testlog/log/KSR04_2018-07-06.log /tmp/testlog/log/KSR01_2018-07-06.log But, I would see the following output(latest files for each KSR tuype) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
3 Replies
hardlink(1)						      General Commands Manual						       hardlink(1)

NAME
hardlink - Link multiple copies of a file SYNOPSIS
hardlink [option]... [directory|file]... DESCRIPTION
hardlink is a tool which replaces copies of a file with hardlinks, therefore saving space. OPTIONS
-h or --help print quick usage details to the screen. -v or --verbose More verbose output. If specified once, every hardlinked file is displayed, if specified twice, it also shows every comparison. -n or --dry-run Do not act, just print what would happen -f or --respect-name Only try to link files with the same (basename). -p or --ignore-mode Link/compare files even if their mode is different. This may be a bit unpredictable. -o or --ignore-owner Link/compare files even if their owner (user and group) is different. It is not predictable -t or --ignore-time Link/compare files even if their time of modification is different. This will retain the newest timestamp, unless -m or -M is given. -m or --maximize Try to maximize the link count of the files. -M or --minimize Try to minimize the link count of the files. -x or --exclude A regular expression which excludes files from being compared and linked. -i or --include A regular expression to include files. If the option --exclude has been given, this option re-includes files which would otherwise be excluded. If the option is used without --exclude, only files matched by the pattern are included. ARGUMENTS
hardlink takes one or more directories which will be searched for files to be linked. BUGS
hardlink assumes that the trees it operates on do not change during operation. If a tree does change, the result is undefined and poten- tially dangerous. For example, if a regular file is replaced by a device, hardlink may start reading from the device. If a component of a path is replaced by a symbolic link or file permissions change, security may be compromised. Do not run hardlink on a changing tree or on a tree controlled by another user. AUTHOR
The program hardlink and this manpage have been written by Julian Andres Klode, and are licensed under the MIT license. See the code of hardlink for further information. 0.2.0 2012-02-28 hardlink(1)