Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Pull out multiple lines with grep patternfile Post 302784857 by RudiC on Saturday 23rd of March 2013 08:02:08 AM
Old 03-23-2013
I'd suggest you open a new thread and give FGPonce a chance to have his/her request worked upon and answered.
You might even want to delete / edit-to-nil your posts in this thread.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep on multiple lines

I 'm trying to grep 2 fieldds on 2 differnt lines. Like this: psit > file egrep -e '(NS|ES)' $file. Not working. If this succeeds then run next cmd else exit. Pls Help Gundu (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gundu
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep multiple lines

Hey guys: I've been meaning to post this question for awhile...it is regarding grep. Let's say for example that the following entry is in logxx: Wed Feb 2 07:44:11 <vsm> 91030 Line 5 Severity 1 Vps 6 Call Answered - DN:8753101 CLID:5164665761 PI:83 If I do a grep 91030... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
27 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep multiple lines

Hi. I have this format on a textfile: VG Name /dev/vg00 PV Name /dev/dsk/c16t0d0 PV Name /dev/dsk/c18t0d0 PV Name /dev/dsk/c16t4d0 VG Name /dev/vg01 PV Name ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jOOc
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you use pull data from multiple lines to do a for statement?

Guys I am having a problem with being able to find missing monitors in a configuration check script I am trying to create for accountability purposes for managing a large number of systems. What I am trying to do is run a script that will look at the raw config data in a file and pull all the pool... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottzx7rr
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep in multiple lines

hi i have kind of below text in a file. I want to get a complete paragraph starting with START and ending with before another START) which has a particular string say XYZ or ABC START XYZ hshjghkjh 45 ljkfd fldjlj d jldf START 3493u ABC 454 4545454 4545454 45454 4545454 START ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep across multiple lines

How do you grep 'select * from table_name' string from a script if the select * and from table_name are on 2 different lines ? like select * from table_name Any help would be greatly appreciated !!! Thanks RDR (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RDR
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep first occurrence but continue to next entry in patternfile

I have 1300 files (SearchFiles0001.txt, SearchFiles0002.txt, etc.) , each with 650,000 lines, tab-delimited data. I have a pattern file, with about 1000 lines with a single word. Each single word is found in the 1300 files once. If I grep -f PatternFile.txt SearchFiles*.txt >OutputFile.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newhavendweeb
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep multiple lines

I want to grep multiple lines from a text file. I want to grep all lines containing X,Y and NA in a single command. How do I go about doing that? This is what my text files look like: rs1983866 0.0983 10 100016313 rs1983865 0.5994 X 100016339 rs1983864 0.3272 11 100017453 rs7077266... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I use grep to pull incremental data and send to multiple files?

Hi Everyone, Im currently using the below code to pull data from a large CSV file and put it into smaller files with just the data associated with the number that I "grep". grep 'M053' test.csv > test053.csv Is there a way that I can use grep to run through my file like the example below... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheStruggle
6 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)