Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Disable snmpd for good
Operating Systems AIX Disable snmpd for good Post 302784535 by MichaelFelt on Friday 22nd of March 2013 11:53:34 AM
Old 03-22-2013
I would run chmod 0 on the actual programs:
Code:
# ls -l /usr/sbin/snmpd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root system      9 Oct 18 18:59 /usr/sbin/snmpd -> snmpdv3ne
-rwxr-x--- 1 root system 363992 Oct  2 21:51 /usr/sbin/snmpd64v1
-rwxr-x--- 1 root system 335192 Oct  2 21:52 /usr/sbin/snmpdv1
-rwxr-x--- 1 root system 336148 Nov 16  2011 /usr/sbin/snmpdv3ne

better would be to customize aixpert to use
Code:
fpm

to do that for you.

p.s., you could move the originals away and write a script/program to tell you who/what is trying to start it. I would expect it to be something super-user powered.

As you have spoken about RBAC check that noone has authorization to start it anyway.

Code:
michael@x054:[/home/michael]lssecattr -c /usr/sbin/snmpdv3ne
/usr/sbin/snmpdv3ne accessauths=aix.network.daemon,ALLOW_OWNER innateprivs=PV_NET_PORT,PV_DAC_R,PV_DAC_W,PV_DAC_X,PV_DAC_GID,PV_DAC_UID,PV_PROC_RAC secflags=FSF_EPS

This User Gave Thanks to MichaelFelt For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

snmpd daemon error

Good day I always find these error messages on /var/adm/messages it appear every 15 mn , does any body know how to stop these messages without stopping the daemon , i tried to restart the daemon by uising Kill -HUP 332 please find below the error messages that appear always in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itsgeorge
1 Replies

2. AIX

snmpd modification problem

Hi Gurus, I am relatively new in AIX. I have a problem in modifying the community string in snmpd. I have edited the /etc/snmpd.conf file and changed the default community name 'public' to new one (P@@$w0rd). When I tried to query my aix server with the new string , it is not giving any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: helloajith
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mrtg+snmpd count traffic

i just wonder how to count total traffic and traffic on specified ports (e.g. 192.168.0.1:139 and etc.. ). How can it be done? (FreeBSD 6.2 i386) Thx. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hachik
5 Replies

4. Linux

Snmpd

Hello to all. For setting my MRTG i want get snmp-info with LAN interface eth0 but information about snmpd daemon very small :( (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
0 Replies

5. Solaris

snmpd manager question

Solaris 8 I have a question about snmpd. My software is running on one box. This box has 2 snmp managers. Is it possible to configure snmpd on my software box such that only one of the managers can perform snmpsets? I want my *redundant* snmp manager only to be able receive traps and do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jalburger
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

SNMPD: need a little help.

Hi there all, I am running here an HP UX 11i v1. I got snmpd running here now. But how do I configure it so it also shows the HD's and swap and RAM's? So I can get the info back to Solarwinds Orion? All I get now is network card status. I want as many info as posible.. Thanx and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: draco
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable Enable/Disable Tab Key

Hi All, I have bash script, so what is sintax script in bash for Enable and Disable Tab Key. Thanks for your help.:( Thanks, Rico (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carnegiex
1 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

AIX - snmpd version

Hi, I have a P595 server with AIX 5.3 and i need to know what version of snmpd i use on this: Example: On solaris i use Net-snmpd 5.4.2.1 (netsnmp-5.4.2.1-sol9-sparc-local) because i can see the package. How can i see what snmpd package is installed on the AIX? Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anonymouzz
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

SSL/TLS renegotiation DoS -how to disable? Is it advisable to disable?

Hi all Expertise, I have following issue to solve, SSL / TLS Renegotiation DoS (low) 222.225.12.13 Ease of Exploitation Moderate Port 443/tcp Family Miscellaneous Following is the problem description:------------------ Description The remote service encrypts traffic using TLS / SSL and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Snmpd dying on centos7.1

Hello All, SNMPD dying after 2 mins once it started. Here is the configuration Oct 12 04:43:00 localhost systemd: Starting Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Daemon.... Oct 12 04:43:00 localhost snmpd: dlopen failed: /usr/lib64/libcmaX64.so: cannot open shared object file: No such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekar777
1 Replies
GZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe name ... DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /usr/bin/gdb'' it will create the following two files: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1026675 Jun 7 13:53 /usr/bin/gdb -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2304524 May 30 13:02 /usr/bin/gdb~ /usr/bin/gdb~ is the original file and /usr/bin/gdb is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /usr/bin/gdb~ once you are sure that /usr/bin/gdb works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some standard utilities (basename, chmod, ln, mkdir, mktemp, rm, sleep, and tail). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. GZEXE(1)