Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issues in reading file using 'awk' Post 302781341 by emily on Saturday 16th of March 2013 07:54:05 AM
Old 03-16-2013
Hi,
Thanks for the reply,
Yes, it is the actual name of the log that I posted at [1].
ummm, I guess it the the symbol for the starting of the next line. Cos the content was not enough to come on the single line.

Besides, using the command on the terminal give the proper 'jobNo' on the same qcd12_status.log file.

emily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
Hi,
  • Is qcd120_status.log the actual name of the log that your posted under [1]?
  • Does the log file contain \ at the end of some of the lines or did you put those there yourself?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading large file, awk and cut

Hello all, I have 2 files, the first (indexFile1) contains start offset and length for each record inside the second file. The second file can be very large, each actual record start offset and length is defined by the entry in indexFile1. Since there are no records separators wc-l returns 0 for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio001
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to when reading a file to search and output to file

Hi, I am not sure if this will work or not. I am getting a syntax error. I am reading fileA, using an acct number field trying to see if it exists in fileB and output to new file. Can anyone tell me if what I am doing will work or should I attempt it another way? Thanks. exec < "${fileA}... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ski
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file several times with awk

Hi everyone, I was wondering if it's possible to read a file ("file2" in my example) more than once. In this example I want to print file2 entirely for each lines of file1: awk -F$'\t' '{ print $0 while ((getline < "file2") > 0) { print "\t"$0 } }' file1 It... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthony.cros
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with Reading Line by line from a file

I am trying to read a host name one at a time from a file which has a list of hostnames and do rsh and print . its not looping through the entire file. its breaking out after the first entry. If i comment out the rsh then it loops through file #!/bin/ksh filename="/tmp/hostnames"; while read -r... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SMunje
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk- reading input file twice

Hello, I've been trying to come up with a solution for the following problem; I have an input file with two columns and I want to print as an output the first column without any changes but for the second column, I want to divide it by its last value. Example input: 1 9 2 10 3 11 4 12 5... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: acsg
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file reading doubt

Hi, Using this trivial code, I am trying to insert/paste the single column data of a file into the second column (field 2) of a multi-column text file. awk 'FNR==NR {a=$0; next} {$1=$1 OFS a}1' single-column-file multi-column-file Lets consider the single-column-file as 'f2' and multi-column... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading file awk or while

While read line query !!! Folks, I am working on a file which has entries as follows. I am using while read line to generate desired output as follows. filename1: Name : sdt2156157_ID NOS : 4567 NOS : 2348 Name : sdt2156158_ID NOS : 4987 NOS :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dynamax
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk issue while reading from file in while do

Hi Friends, I am trying to scan line by line using awk and pull the values and pass it in variables and then will use the variables but doesn't work. Please see below for details. #more dbtest.sh ---------------------------------- #!/bin/bash . $HOME/.bash_profile while read line do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: narunice
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from file using awk

I have a file as below. It contains two data sets separated by >. I want to pipe each data set to another program called psxy. How can I get the different records Have started doing as follows but it only passes the first data set awk 'BEGIN {RS=">"};{print $0}' p.dat cat p.dat... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: File Checking Issues with 9 multiple file

Hi, I have 9 files which are generated dynamically & if there is a some condition which doesn't meet the criteria then file is not created or is of zero size. so further i am unable to consolidate the files based on following code 1 awk -F, -v ptime="201407" 'FNR==1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
3 Replies
strclean(1M)															      strclean(1M)

NAME
strclean - remove outdated STREAMS error log files SYNOPSIS
logdir] age] DESCRIPTION
cleans the STREAMS error logger directory of log files mm-dd) that contain error messages sent by the STREAMS log driver, strlog(7). If the option is not used to specify another directory, removes error log files in the directory. If the option is not used to specify another age, removes error log files that have not been modified in three days. Options recognizes the following options and command-line arguments: Specifies a directory for the location of the STREAMS error log files to be removed if this is not the default directory Specifies a maximum age in days for the STREAMS error log files if this not the default age of 3. The value of age must be an integer greater than or less than 3. EXAMPLES
Remove day-old error log files from a directory called FILES
One or more error log file or files on which operates. The mm-dd in the filename indicates the month and day of the messages con- tained in the file. NLS catalog for SEE ALSO
strerr(1M), strlog(7). strclean(1M)