Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Displaying current date time of EDT in IST time Post 302781319 by RudiC on Saturday 16th of March 2013 04:39:19 AM
Old 03-16-2013
What about using the TZ variable. Not sure it would help with that daylight saving problem; you may need to schedule a cron job to adapt TZ every 6 months.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

param as current date+time

Hi All, I need to pass param on aix "errpt -a -s MMDDHHMMYY -e MMDDHHMMYY". How do I read the date+time on the system and pass it as parameter? I need also the -s as previous day and the -e as current day. Thanks, itik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get date and time for past 1 hour from current date

Hi, I need to get the date and time for past 1 hour from the current date. Anyone know how to do so? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: spch2o
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with displaying date and adding time

Hi, I have a log file with contents like 81.49.74.131 - - 81.49.74.131 - - 116.112.52.31 - - 116.112.52.31 - - I need an output like this 81.49.74.131 14/Sep/2008 Time duration: 00:06:00 116.112.52.31 15/Sep/2008 Time duration: 00:00:01 Please anyone suggest a script for this.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FuncMx
1 Replies

4. Solaris

changing time zone from ist to bst

Hi, Can anybody tell me how to change time zone from ist to bst, What changes should be done in /etc/TIMEZONE file. wheather it is possible to change timezone without rebooting the server. Regards Manoj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prefix the current date and time to the output of ps

Hi, I need to write a script, that will take the current date, time, and the output from # ps -eo pid,tid,class,rtprio,ni,pri,psr,pcpu,stat,wchan:14,comm and spit it to a file, so it'll look like this... PID TID CLS RTPRIO NI PRI PSR %CPU STAT WCHAN COMMAND 1 1 TS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloke
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How far is given date from current time?

give a date and time: Jun 12 21:05:16 06-12-2012 21:05:16 2012/06/12 21:05:16 How can i subtract these dates and times from the current date and time and get back the difference in seconds? a one liner like: echo "Jun 12 21:05:16" | some perl/awk programming 90900s (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding hours and minutes to current date (Only to date not to time)

Hi, I want to add some hours and minutes to the current date. For example, if the current date is "July 16, 2012 15:20", i want to add 5 hours 30 minutes to "July 16, 2012 00:00" not to "July 16, 2012 15:20". Please help. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manojgarg
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add current date and time

i have file 1.txt asdas|csada|13|03|10|04|23|A1|canberra sdasd|sfdsf|13|04|26|23|28|A1|sydney i want to add today's date and time in the end of each row expected output asdas|csada|13|03|10|04|23|A1|canberra|130430|1358 sdasd|sfdsf|13|04|26|23|28|A1|sydney|130430|1358 todays date... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: radius
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to substract date with current date and time

I have below file which contain the date in column 3,4,5 12345 open 10/10/13 10:08 PM 3 application is in java 67899 open 12/10/13 2:31 AM 2 apps can be reach 23456 open 11/9/13 2:31 AM 4 java is OK 65432 open 12/10/13 10:07 PM 9 we are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijay_rajni
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Getting the current time from a website and parsing date

I am trying to work on a script to grab the UTC time from a website So far I was able to cobble this together. curl -s --head web-url | grep ^Date: | sed 's/Date: //g' Which gives me the result I need. Wed, 06 Dec 2017 21:43:50 GMT What I need to is extract the 21:43:50 and convert... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: allisterB
4 Replies
cron(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 cron(1M)