Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Make install in custom path
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Make install in custom path Post 302781303 by anil510 on Saturday 16th of March 2013 03:09:08 AM
Old 03-16-2013
Make install in custom path

I would like to install a binary from source on a custom path, say /usr/local/myapps. There is no --prefix option in ./configure How can I "make install" at custom path. I tried this.
Code:
No --prefix

root@server [/usr/src/libvpx-v1.1.0]# ./configure --help | grep prefix
root@server [/usr/src/libvpx-v1.1.0]#

Code:
Make install

root@server [/usr/src/libvpx-v1.1.0]# make install INSTALL_PATH=/usr/local/myapps
    [INSTALL] /usr/local/lib/libvpx.a
    [INSTALL] /usr/local/lib/libvpx.so.1.1.0
    [LN]      /usr/local/lib/libvpx.so
    [INSTALL] /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/vpx.pc
    [INSTALL] /usr/local/bin/vpxdec
    [INSTALL] /usr/local/bin/vpxenc
    [INSTALL] /usr/local/bin/vp8_scalable_patterns
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `install'.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

make and make install commands

Hi there, I am installing a package at the moment on to my Solaris version 8 and I have run into a problem with the 'make' command. I have installed the package using the 'pkgadd' command and I am now at the stage where I have to use the 'make' command followed by the 'make install'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerwhelan
4 Replies

2. Programming

HOW to make absolute path???? HELP

In the funtion C function link(char *existing, char *new); existing has to be an absolute path. But what happens if i want to make a ling to a file in the users home directory (assume file.txt exists) i cant put in a "~/file.txt" or "./file.txt" How can i turn the above into the entire path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: youngvet
1 Replies

3. Linux

Error in issuing a make and make install

Hi, Recently I install a package and try to do a make and make install. However, in the make it gives me below error:- make:Nothing to be done for 'install-exec-am' make:Nothing to be done for 'install-data-am' Can anyone please explain to me what does this mean? I have been trying... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

4. AIX

AIX custom package install query

I have created a .bff package for an app to tbe installed on AIX servers across regions. I am pretty new to the AIX mode of packaging using mkinstallp but I have been able to get the same done. I installed the same on the server in which i created the package and the application was deployed... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jobbyjoseph
9 Replies

5. Solaris

Gani Network Driver Won't Install - make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make targ...

I attached a README file that I will refer to. I successfully completed everything in the README file until step 4. # pwd /gani/gani-2.4.4 # ls COPYING Makefile.macros gem.c Makefile Makefile.sparc_gcc gem.h Makefile.amd64_gcc ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between configure/make/make install.

Hi, While installation of apache on linux, we perform the below tasks. 1) Untar 2) configure 3) make 4) make install. I wanted to understand the difference and working of configure/make/make install. Can any one help me understanding this? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Custom directory path variable

I'm trying to write my first shell script and got a bit stuck with this: I've got myscript.sh that executes from /fromhere. If the script is run with the syntax ./myscript.sh tothere: I need to make a variable inside the script containing /fromhere/tothere ...and if the script is run with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chronomaly
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

zlib.h in custom path

I am trying to configure gpac. I get the error as follows. # ./configure error: zlib not found on system or in local libs I have installed zlib on custom path /usr/local/myapps. I know the above error occurs when devel package or .h file is not present. Its present on the server. # ll... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilcliff
7 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

how to install custom .bat files in perl

I'm using damke to install perl modules on windows. I have my custom .bat files for the perl script. How to overwrite the .bat files that gets generated by pl2bat with my custom .bat files! Thanks, Hansini (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hansini
1 Replies

10. Fedora

Make check install and make all install

hi dear i want to know what is different between make check install and make all install? thanks in advane fereshte (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: komijani
3 Replies
CARTON-INSTALL(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					CARTON-INSTALL(1p)

NAME
carton-install - Install the dependencies SYNOPSIS
carton install [--deployment] [--path=PATH] [modules...] DESCRIPTION
Install the dependencies for your application. This command has two modes and the behavior is slightly different. DEVELOPMENT MODE carton install (no arguments) If you run "carton install" without any arguments and if cpanfile exists, carton will scan dependencies from cpanfile and install the modules. In either way, if you run "carton install" for the first time (i.e. carton.lock does not exist), carton will fetch all the modules specified, resolve dependencies and install all required modules from CPAN. If carton.lock file does exist, carton will still try to install modules specified or updated in cpanfile, but uses carton.lock for the dependency resolution, and then cascades to CPAN. carton will analyze all the dependencies and their version information, and it is saved into carton.lock file. It is important to add carton.lock file into a version controlled repository and commit the changes as you update your dependencies. DEPLOYMENT MODE If you specify the "--deployment" command line option or the carton.lock exists and cpanfile does not exist, carton will fetch all remote modules and use the dependencies specified in the carton.lock instead of resolving dependencies. CONSERVATIVE UPDATE
"carton install" doesn't update the modules already installed into local library path as long as the version is satisfied. For example, one day you install URI-1.50 from CPAN: > carton install URI Successfully installed URI-1.50 Few weeks later, URI module is updated to 1.51 on CPAN. If you run the "carton install URI" again: > carton install URI You have URI (1.50) because you haven't specified the version number, carton won't update the module in your local library path. WARNINGS: following commands are not implemented If you want to update to the latest version of CPAN, you can either use "carton update" command, or specify the required version either in your cpanfile. > carton update URI > cat cpanfile requires 'URI', 1.51; Any of those will upgrade URI to the latest one from CPAN, and the version specified in the carton.lock will be bumped. OPTIONS
--deployment Force the deployment mode and carton will ignore cpanfile contents. --path Specify the path to install modules to. Defaults to local in the current directory. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-12 CARTON-INSTALL(1p)