Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Shell Script: Sorting by column using grep/awk Post 302781233 by Don Cragun on Friday 15th of March 2013 06:08:45 PM
Old 03-15-2013
tburns517,
In addition to what Corona688 has already said, you also need to note that the echo command just copies strings to its output; it doesn't read a response from its input. To get input from the user, you'll probably want to use the read utility. Note that there is probably a section 1 man page for the read utility and a section 2 man page for the read() function (or system call) on your system. Try:
Code:
man 1 read

to get the read utility's man page.

You'll also need to check the syntax of the if command and the test (or [ ) command for the shell you're using. You should be able to find details on the shell's man page. Presumably for a class like this, your shell would be sh, ksh, or bash. By now, you can guess how to find your shell's man page.

- Don

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep, awk, typeset in a shell script..

For e.g I have a file named "relation" which has three coloums i.e JOHN MARY JACK PETE ALISIA JONNY TONY JACKIE VICTOR If I do grep -w 'JOHN' relation | awk '{print""$1" is husband of "$2" & father of "$3""}' It gives out JOHN i husband of MARY & father of JACK (which is desired... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick_25
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script / Grep / Awk to variable and Loop

Hi, I have a text file with data in that I wish to extract, assign to a variable and process through a loop. Kind of the process that I am after: 1: Grep the text file for the values. Currently using: cat /root/test.txt | grep TESTING= | awk -F"=" '{ a = $2 } {print a}' | sort -u ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spoonless
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK/GREP sorting help

hi everyone, I am kind of new to this forum. I need help in sorting this data out accordingly, I am actually doing a traceroute application and wants my AS path displayed in front of my address like this; 192.168.1.1 AS28513 AS65534 AS5089 AS5089 .... till the last AS number and if possible sort... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam127
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep/awk column or variable?

Hi, I'm running via PuTTY, in a BASH shell to do my work. I'm running calculations where steps are reported like this every 100 steps: NSTEP = 249900 TIME(PS) = 249.900 TEMP(K) = 299.94 PRESS = 21.1 Etot = -12912.5557 EKtot = 4996.8780 EPtot = -17909.4336 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oriksagtaria
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script to create max value of 3rd column, grouping by first column

Hi, I need an awk script (or whatever shell-construct) that would take data like below and get the max value of 3 column, when grouping by the 1st column. clientname,day-of-month,max-users ----------------------------------- client1,20120610,5 client2,20120610,2 client3,20120610,7... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with sorting in shell script

Hi, I have the following list: 42A 42AA 42B 42BB 42AAA 42BBB 49A 49AA 49B 49AAA 49BB I need it to be sorted as following: 42A 42B (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sairamtejaswi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep/awk part of info of a column

I have a question that I am at a loss to solve. I have 3 column tab-separated data, such as: abs nmod+n+n-commitment-n 349.200023 abs nmod+n+n-a-commitment-n 333.306429 abs into+ns-j+vn-pass-rb-divide-v 295.57316 abs nmod+n+ns-commitment-n 182.085018 abs nmod+n+n-pledge-n ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to awk or grep the last column in file when date on column contains spaces?

Hi have a large spreadsheet which has 4 columns APM00111803814 server_2 96085 Corp IT Desktop and Apps APM00111803814 server_2 96085 Corp IT Desktop and Apps APM00111803814 server_2 96034 Storage Mgmt Team APM00111803814 server_2 96152 GWP... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to append suffix to column when column has duplicated values

Please help me to get required output for both scenario 1 and scenario 2 and need separate code for both scenario 1 and scenario 2 Scenario 1 i need to do below changes only when column1 is CR and column3 has duplicates rows/values. This inputfile can contain 100 of this duplicated rows of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: as7951
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need awk or Shell script to compare Column-1 of two different CSV files and print if column-1 matche

Example: I have files in below format file 1: zxc,133,joe@example.com cst,222,xyz@example1.com File 2 Contains: hxd hcd jws zxc cst File 1 has 50000 lines and file 2 has around 30000 lines : Expected Output has to be : hxd hcd jws (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestPractice
5 Replies
exec(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)