Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: .csv files with tabs
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers .csv files with tabs Post 302781163 by DGPickett on Friday 15th of March 2013 04:20:31 PM
Old 03-15-2013
No, excel takes in csv s one sheet. However, there are PERL modules that can insert text into many sheets of an xls or xlsx.

Last edited by DGPickett; 03-15-2013 at 05:37 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing tabs to spaces from files

hi, I have some 50 C files in which for indentation of code some devlopers used tabs, but we dont want any tab used for indentation. I have following 2 need. 1) find tabs from all 50 files (which are in one directory ) 2) replace them with 4 spaces. Thanks Rishi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishir
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to compare two csv files values and write into another csv file

Hi all, Am new to scripting. So i just need your ideas to help me out. Here goes my requirement. I have two csv files 1.csv 2.csv abc,1.24 abc,1 def,2.13 def,1 I need to compare the first column of 1.csv with 2.csv and if matches then need to compare... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinnahyd
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

two csv file in an excel file in two tabs

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could help me with this. I have two .csv file that I need to put it in an excel file in two different tabs using Shell Script. Thanks in advance. JP (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPalt
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Code to get 5 unix files in 5 different tabs in a single excel

Hi All I need to put 5 different files from Unix box in 5 different tabs in a single excel. For this, I need to code only using Unix. Kindly help me on this. ---------- Post updated at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:24 AM ---------- Hi All I need to put 5 different... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: misssrinivasan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of below Tabs Tex file into CSV format file : shell script needed

Request if some one could provide me shell script that converts the below "input file" to "CSV format file" given Name Domain Contact Phone Email Location ----------------------- ------------------------------------------------ ------- ----- ---------------------------------... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenath1037
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting huge xls(having multiple tabs) to csv

hello I have browsed for the similar requirement i found this https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/40163-xls-csv-conversion.html but my problem is i have multiple tabs in xls file having same metadata I want to convert it into single csv file any ways to do it pls... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshiamit
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting specific Excel file tabs to CSV in Python

Hi list, This is probably something really simple, but I am not particularly familiar with Python so I thought I would ask as I know that python has an excel module. I have an excel document with multiple tabs of data and graphs. One of the tabs is just data which I require to have dumped to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 CSV files and sending the difference to a new csv file

(say) I have 2 csv files - file1.csv & file2.csv as mentioned below: file1.csv ID,version,cost 1000,1,30 2000,2,40 3000,3,50 4000,4,60 file2.csv ID,version,cost 1000,1,30 2000,2,45 3000,4,55 6000,5,70 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Naresh101
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 csv files in ksh and o/p the difference in a new csv file

(say) I have 2 csv files - file1.csv & file2.csv as mentioned below: file1.csv ID,version,cost 1000,1,30 2000,2,40 3000,3,50 4000,4,60 file2.csv ID,version,cost 1000,1,30 2000,2,45 3000,4,55 6000,5,70 The... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naresh101
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match columns from two csv files and update field in one of the csv file

Hi, I have a file of csv data, which looks like this: file1: 1AA,LGV_PONCEY_LES_ATHEE,1,\N,1,00020460E1,0,\N,\N,\N,\N,2,00.22335321,0.00466628 2BB,LES_POUGES_ASF,\N,200,200,00006298G1,0,\N,\N,\N,\N,1,00.30887539,0.00050312... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: djoseph
10 Replies
Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::Simple(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::Simple(3pm)

NAME
Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::Simple - A simple interface to Excel data SYNOPSIS
my $xls = Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::Simple->read('spreadsheet.xls'); foreach my $sheet ($xls->sheets) { while ($sheet->has_data) { my @data = $sheet->next_row; } } DESCRIPTION
This provides an abstraction to the Spreadsheet::ParseExcel module for simple reading of values. You simply loop over the sheets, and fetch rows to arrays. For anything more complex, you probably want to use Spreadsheet::ParseExcel directly. BOOK METHODS
read my $xls = Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::Simple->read('spreadsheet.xls'); This opens the spreadsheet specified for you. Returns undef if we cannot read the book. sheets @sheets = $xls->sheets; Each spreadsheet can contain one or more worksheets. This fetches them all back. You can then iterate over them, or jump straight to the one you wish to play with. book my $book = $xls->book; The Spreadsheet::ParseExcel object we are working with. You can use this if you need to manipulate it in ways that this interface doesn't allow. SHEET METHODS
These methods can be called on each sheet returned from $xls->sheets: has_data if ($sheet->has_data) { ... } This lets us know if there are more rows in this sheet that we haven't read yet. This allows us to differentiate between an empty row, and the end of the sheet. next_row my @data = $sheet->next_row; Fetch the next row of data back. sheet my $obj = $sheet->sheet; The underlying Spreadsheet::ParseExcel object for the worksheet. You can use this if you need to manipulate it in ways that this interface doesn't allow (e.g. asking it for the sheet's name). AUTHOR
Tony Bowden BUGS and QUERIES Please direct all correspondence regarding this module to: bug-Spreadsheet-ParseExcel-Simple@rt.cpan.org COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Tony Bowden. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
Spreadsheet::ParseExcel. perl v5.8.8 2008-03-12 Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::Simple(3pm)