Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Difference between .vimrc and .exrc? Post 302781061 by DGPickett on Friday 15th of March 2013 12:47:11 PM
Old 03-15-2013
Well, .exrc was established by the original ex before there was a vi. The name vi means visual ex. The name ex means extended ed: https://www.unix.com/man-page/All/0/ed/ When the open source people wrote vi replacements, notably vim, they had the option to make additional configuration files for options in vim that are not ex/vi compatible. It is a bit like sh, ksh, bash, relative to .profile , $ENV, /etc/profile, /etc/suid-profile, .kshrc, .bashrc, .bash_profile, .bash_login.

The man page lists a bushel of config files down at the end: Man Page for vim (all Section 0) - The UNIX and Linux Forums

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

VIMRC question ????

Hi There, :) I Need to put the following command in the vimrc for the execution of ECLIPSE so I have written smthing like as follows, export PATH=$PATH:/JVM location after this i go to my eclipse folder and when I execute STILL it is not getting opened..... Any Help that makes my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gk_linux
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.exrc is not working

Hi I want to customise my vi environment.So i have created a a .exrc file in my working directory and written all set commands.But when i am invoking vi ,it is not taking any effect of the vi. Can anybody have any idea what is happening Thanks in advance Regds Sas (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT : vi doesn't read my .exrc

I have created some custom commands (using the map macro feature) and have those map commands in my $HOME/.exrc file (I am using bash) Here are the commands, which I have in my $HOME/.exrc map! F /user\.base\.scope^V^Mk4ddF map! L /user\.base\.search^V^Mk4ddL map! V... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: inditopgun
1 Replies

4. Solaris

editing crontab with vim and using .vimrc

Hi since we migrated from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10 I do miss a nice feature when editing crontab with vim editor: no more color highlighting after starting to edit. Well there is a hack, see below. I did define: export EDITOR='vim -c ":source /export/home/duc904/.vimrc"' Under Sol8 when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duc904
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vimrc help with line endings

I was reading this and thought I could put this in my vimrc and it would convert the line endings to unix. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something? set ff=unixManaging/Munging Line-Endings with Vi/Vim | Jeet Sukumaran I used this command and it confirms that my global option is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating bashrc and vimrc using scripting

I am trying to write a bash script that will create a .bashrc and .vimrc. I was wondering if anyone would know how to do approach this. Would this work if there was no .bashrc file minus the "stuff" echo "stuff" >> .bashrc (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: meredith1990
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vimrc creating tabs instead of spaces

I'm having trouble getting my vimrc to work the way I want it. For some reason after I hit enter it is creating tabs instead of spaces like I would expect. Here is an example of what I am talking about. $ = newline, ^I = tab. On the line of struct EDGETAG* q; I hit enter and it created a tab... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quote in vimrc not take as comment

Hi, 1. I'm using tcsh and I use a .gvimrc file which was working fine with my previous ksh shell. But while sourcing, I'm getting messages like 'Unmatched " '. I'm not trying anything fancy but just using " for commenting in the very first line and I see the error is thrown right there. 2.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishikpillai90
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Exrc file problem

My exrc file contents are set number set -o vi map Q :q! ab inc include set number and set -o vi is working but map and ab is not working can u help me ?? Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varun aravinth
1 Replies

10. AIX

Is there virc or exrc for saving vi configuration settings in AIX?

There's no Vim in AIX (6 and 7), but Vi is natively available. I want to save my configuration for Vi like `set nu` to number lines in files. I couldn't find configuration related to Vi in /etc/ or /usr/etc/ folders. Please help me with that. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chinggis6
4 Replies
VIMTUTOR(1)						      General Commands Manual						       VIMTUTOR(1)

NAME
vimtutor - the Vim tutor SYNOPSIS
vimtutor [-g] [language] DESCRIPTION
Vimtutor starts the Vim tutor. It copies the tutor file first, so that it can be modified without changing the original file. The Vimtutor is useful for people that want to learn their first Vim commands. The optional argument -g starts vimtutor with gvim rather than vim, if the GUI version of vim is available, or falls back to Vim if gvim is not found. The optional [language] argument is the two-letter name of a language, like "it" or "es". If the [language] argument is missing, the lan- guage of the current locale will be used. If a tutor in this language is available, it will be used. Otherwise the English version will be used. Vim is always started in Vi compatible mode. FILES
/usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor[.language] The Vimtutor text file(s). /usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor.vim The Vim script used to copy the Vimtutor text file. AUTHOR
The Vimtutor was originally written for Vi by Michael C. Pierce and Robert K. Ware, Colorado School of Mines using ideas supplied by Charles Smith, Colorado State University. E-mail: bware@mines.colorado.edu. It was modified for Vim by Bram Moolenaar. For the names of the translators see the tutor files. SEE ALSO
vim(1) 2001 April 2 VIMTUTOR(1)