Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Difference between .vimrc and .exrc? Post 302781061 by DGPickett on Friday 15th of March 2013 12:47:11 PM
Old 03-15-2013
Well, .exrc was established by the original ex before there was a vi. The name vi means visual ex. The name ex means extended ed: https://www.unix.com/man-page/All/0/ed/ When the open source people wrote vi replacements, notably vim, they had the option to make additional configuration files for options in vim that are not ex/vi compatible. It is a bit like sh, ksh, bash, relative to .profile , $ENV, /etc/profile, /etc/suid-profile, .kshrc, .bashrc, .bash_profile, .bash_login.

The man page lists a bushel of config files down at the end: Man Page for vim (all Section 0) - The UNIX and Linux Forums

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

VIMRC question ????

Hi There, :) I Need to put the following command in the vimrc for the execution of ECLIPSE so I have written smthing like as follows, export PATH=$PATH:/JVM location after this i go to my eclipse folder and when I execute STILL it is not getting opened..... Any Help that makes my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gk_linux
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.exrc is not working

Hi I want to customise my vi environment.So i have created a a .exrc file in my working directory and written all set commands.But when i am invoking vi ,it is not taking any effect of the vi. Can anybody have any idea what is happening Thanks in advance Regds Sas (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT : vi doesn't read my .exrc

I have created some custom commands (using the map macro feature) and have those map commands in my $HOME/.exrc file (I am using bash) Here are the commands, which I have in my $HOME/.exrc map! F /user\.base\.scope^V^Mk4ddF map! L /user\.base\.search^V^Mk4ddL map! V... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: inditopgun
1 Replies

4. Solaris

editing crontab with vim and using .vimrc

Hi since we migrated from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10 I do miss a nice feature when editing crontab with vim editor: no more color highlighting after starting to edit. Well there is a hack, see below. I did define: export EDITOR='vim -c ":source /export/home/duc904/.vimrc"' Under Sol8 when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duc904
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vimrc help with line endings

I was reading this and thought I could put this in my vimrc and it would convert the line endings to unix. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something? set ff=unixManaging/Munging Line-Endings with Vi/Vim | Jeet Sukumaran I used this command and it confirms that my global option is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating bashrc and vimrc using scripting

I am trying to write a bash script that will create a .bashrc and .vimrc. I was wondering if anyone would know how to do approach this. Would this work if there was no .bashrc file minus the "stuff" echo "stuff" >> .bashrc (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: meredith1990
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vimrc creating tabs instead of spaces

I'm having trouble getting my vimrc to work the way I want it. For some reason after I hit enter it is creating tabs instead of spaces like I would expect. Here is an example of what I am talking about. $ = newline, ^I = tab. On the line of struct EDGETAG* q; I hit enter and it created a tab... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quote in vimrc not take as comment

Hi, 1. I'm using tcsh and I use a .gvimrc file which was working fine with my previous ksh shell. But while sourcing, I'm getting messages like 'Unmatched " '. I'm not trying anything fancy but just using " for commenting in the very first line and I see the error is thrown right there. 2.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishikpillai90
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Exrc file problem

My exrc file contents are set number set -o vi map Q :q! ab inc include set number and set -o vi is working but map and ab is not working can u help me ?? Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varun aravinth
1 Replies

10. AIX

Is there virc or exrc for saving vi configuration settings in AIX?

There's no Vim in AIX (6 and 7), but Vi is natively available. I want to save my configuration for Vi like `set nu` to number lines in files. I couldn't find configuration related to Vi in /etc/ or /usr/etc/ folders. Please help me with that. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chinggis6
4 Replies
ELVIS(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ELVIS(1)

NAME
elvis, ex, vi - The editor SYNOPSIS
elvis [flags] [+cmd] [files...] DESCRIPTION
Elvis is a text editor which emulates vi/ex. On systems which pass the program name as an argument, such as Unix and Minix, you may also install elvis under the names "ex", "vi", "view", and "input". These extra names would normally be links to elvis; see the "ln" shell command. When elvis is invoked as "vi", it behaves exactly as though it was invoked as "elvis". However, if you invoke elvis as "view", then the readonly option is set as though you had given it the "-R" flag. If you invoke elvis as "ex", then elvis will start up in the colon com- mand mode instead of the visual command mode, as though you had given it the "-e" flag. If you invoke elvis as "input" or "edit", then elvis will start up in input mode, as though the "-i" flag was given. OPTIONS
-r To the real vi, this flag means that a previous edit should be recovered. Elvis, though, has a separate program, called elvrec(1), for recovering files. When you invoke elvis with -r, elvis will tell you to run elvrec. -R This sets the "readonly" option, so you won't accidentally overwrite a file. -t tag This causes elvis to start editing at the given tag. -m [file] Elvis will search through file for something that looks like an error message from a compiler. It will then begin editing the source file that caused the error, with the cursor sitting on the line where the error was detected. If you don't explicitly name a file, then "errlist" is assumed. -e Elvis will start up in colon command mode. -v Elvis will start up in visual command mode. -i Elvis will start up in input mode. -w winsize Sets the "window" option's value to winsize. +command or -c command If you use the +command parameter, then after the first file is loaded command is executed as an EX command. A typical example would be "elvis +237 foo", which would cause elvis to start editing foo and then move directly to line 237. The "-c command" vari- ant was added for UNIX SysV compatibility. FILES
/tmp/elv* During editing, elvis stores text in a temporary file. For UNIX, this file will usually be stored in the /tmp directory, and the first three characters will be "elv". For other systems, the temporary files may be stored someplace else; see the version-specific section of the documentation. tags This is the database used by the :tags command and the -t option. It is usually created by the ctags(1) program. .exrc or elvis.rc On UNIX-like systems, a file called ".exrc" in your home directory is executed as a series of ex commands. A file by the same name may be executed in the current directory, too. On non-UNIX systems, ".exrc" is usually an invalid file name; there, the initializa- tion file is called "elvis.rc" instead. SEE ALSO
ctags(1), ref(1), virec(1), elvis(9). Elvis - A Clone of Vi/Ex, the complete elvis documentation. BUGS
There is no LISP support. Certain other features are missing, too. Auto-indent mode is not quite compatible with the real vi. Among other things, 0^D and ^^D don't do what you might expect. Long lines are displayed differently. The real vi wraps long lines onto multiple rows of the screen, but elvis scrolls sideways. AUTHOR
Steve Kirkendall kirkenda@cs.pdx.edu Many other people have worked to port elvis to various operating systems. To see who deserves credit, run the :version command from within elvis, or look in the system-specific section of the complete documentation. ELVIS(1)