Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get a numeric value from Oracle to UNIX variable without spaces? Post 302780863 by Arun Mishra on Friday 15th of March 2013 08:28:12 AM
Old 03-15-2013
Thanks, Both the solutions worked perfectly. And yes when i issued the command echo "$BD_RC_CNT" it showed as below
Code:
$ echo "$BD_RC_CNT"

these seem to be some spaces then 6. may be 2 space then 6.

Thanks again for the help.Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces with 0's having numeric values.

What could be the regular expression with gsub function in awk to replace all numerics having spaces before to be replaced with 0s? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass unix variable to oracle

hi , how to pass unix variable to oracle code is ............. #! /bin/ksh echo enter date vale read date1 sqlplus x/y@oracle select * from emp where statrt_date= $date1 is this is correct way... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chiru
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete spaces in the variable in unix script?

Hi All, I need your help.I want to know how to delete the spaces in a variable in unix scripting.Please give solution to this probelm... thanks ! :confused: (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: MARY76
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

to check variable if its non numeric

if test $b -ne then echo "\n\n\n\tPassword reset has been done successfully" else echo "\n\n\n\tAn error occurred" fi i want to check whether $b is non-numeric so how to do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get value from oracle & assign it in UNIX variable

Hi Team, I need to get data from oracle table & need to assign that value to unix variable. I have serched the same in other threads. I found the following code. I have tried code to get the value from oracle. but it is not working. The error shows invalid identifier "NAM" & then list all... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing unix variable to oracle parameters

Please help me how to pass some unix vairable to oracle. I have used below , but not displaying passed (inval) value. calling() { sqlplus -s $1/$2@$3 <<EOF begin exec call_sql($4); end; exit EOF } calling user pwd inst value1... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces in unix for variable

HI Guys I have written a script using awk to split a file based on some identifier and renaming the file based on two values from specific length. ts a fixed width file. When I am trying to fetch the values a = substr($0,11,10) b = substr($0,21,5); i am getting spaces in a and b values .... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish8484
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get Oracle variable in UNIX?

Hello All, I need to export various variables in UNIX. But the values of those variables will come from Oracle. Say i have Oracle query: Select file_id, file_desc, file_freq_cd, load_table_nm, load_stored_procd_nm, load_proc_typ_nm, err_rec_cnt_thrsld_nbr, file_expc_rec_cnt From Table1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
7 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Identify a specific environment Oracle variable to connect a remote Oracle database ?

Good evening I nned your help pls, In an unix server i want to connect to a remote oracle databse server by sqlplus. I tried to find out the user/passwd and service name by env variable and all Ive got is this: ORACLE_SID_REPCOL=SCL_REPCOL ORACLE_SID=xmeta ORACLE_SID_TOL=SCL_PROTOLCOL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
2 Replies
tabs(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   tabs(1)

NAME
tabs - set tabs on a terminal SYNOPSIS
[tabspec] n] type] DESCRIPTION
sets the tab stops on the user's terminal according to the tab specification tabspec, after clearing any previous settings. The user's terminal must have remotely-settable hardware tabs. If you are using a non-HP terminal, you should keep in mind that behavior will vary for some tab settings. Four types of tab specification are accepted for tabspec: ``canned'', repetitive, arbitrary, and file. If no is given, the default value is i.e., UNIX ``standard'' tabs. The lowest column number is 1. Note that for tabs, column 1 always refers to the left-most column on a terminal, even one whose column markers begin at 0. Gives the name of one of a set of ``canned'' tabs. Recognized codes and their meanings are as follows: 1,10,16,36,72 Assembler, IBM S/370, first format 1,10,16,40,72 Assembler, IBM S/370, second format 1,8,12,16,20,55 COBOL, normal format 1,6,10,14,49 COBOL compact format (columns 1-6 omitted). Using this code, the first typed character corresponds to card column 7, one space gets you to column 8, and a tab reaches column 12. Files using this tab setup should have specify a format specification file as defined by below. The file should have the following format specification: 1,6,10,14,18,22,26,30,34,38,42,46,50,54,58,62,67 COBOL compact format (columns 1-6 omitted), with more tabs than This is the recommended format for COBOL. The appro- priate format specification is: 1,7,11,15,19,23 FORTRAN 1,5,9,13,17,21,25,29,33,37,41,45,49,53,57,61 PL/I 1,10,55 SNOBOL 1,12,20,44 UNIVAC 1100 Assembler In addition to these ``canned'' formats, three other types exist: A repetitive specification requests tabs at columns 1+n, 1+2xn, etc. Of particular importance is the value this represents the UNIX ``standard'' tab setting, and is the most likely tab setting to be found at a terminal. Another special case is the value implying no tabs at all. The arbitrary format permits the user to type any chosen set of numbers, separated by commas, in ascending order. Up to 40 numbers are allowed. If any number (except the first one) is preceded by a plus sign, it is taken as an increment to be added to the previous value. Thus, the tab lists 1,10,20,30 and 1,10,+10,+10 are considered identical. If the name of a file is given, reads the first line of the file, searching for a format specification. If it finds one there, it sets the tab stops according to it, otherwise it sets them as This type of specification can be used to ensure that a tabbed file is printed with correct tab settings, and is suitable for use with the command (see pr(1)): Any of the following can be used also; if a given option occurs more than once, the last value given takes effect: usually needs to know the type of terminal in order to set tabs and always needs to know the type to set margins. type is a name listed in term(5). If no option is supplied, searches for the value in the environment (see environ(5)). If is not defined in the environment, tries a sequence that will work for many terminals. The margin argument can be used for some terminals. It causes all tabs to be moved over n columns by making column n+1 the left margin. If is given without a value of n, the value assumed is 10. The normal (left-most) margin on most terminals is obtained by The margin for most terminals is reset only when the option is given explicitly. Tab and margin setting is performed via the standard output. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of text within file as single- and/or multi-byte characters. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. DIAGNOSTICS
Arbitrary tabs are ordered incorrectly. A zero or missing increment found in an arbitrary specification. A ``canned'' code cannot be found. option was used and file cannot be opened. option was used and the specification in that file points to yet another file. Indirection of this form is not permitted. WARNINGS
There is no consistency among different terminals regarding ways of clearing tabs and setting the left margin. It is generally impossible to usefully change the left margin without also setting tabs. clears only 20 tabs (on terminals requiring a long sequence), but is willing to set 64. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), pr(1), tset(1), environ(5), term(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
tabs(1)