Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting based on the second field Post 302780789 by John K on Friday 15th of March 2013 05:58:30 AM
Old 03-15-2013
Thanks Anbu. You solution worked.
Thank you Rudic . You solution worked as well.
Code:

$ sort -n -k 2.7 myfile.txt
MARCH6 MARCH2
MARCH9 MARCH4
MARCH1 MARCH5
MARCH821 MARCH7
MARCH2 MARCH326

But what is 7 ? It should be sorting from 6th character onwards. Right ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting on last field

Hello I am trying to sort on the last field and it seems to have lost ideas on what to do. the file am sorting looks like this Tan\da\1223 hey\1234 two\three\think\4579 i want to sort on the last fields (1223, 1234 and 4579). thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganiel24
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find top N values for field X based on field Y's value

I want to find the top N entries for a certain field based on the values of another field. For example if N=3, we want the 3 best values for each entry: Entry1 ||| 100 Entry1 ||| 95 Entry1 ||| 30 Entry1 ||| 80 Entry1 ||| 50 Entry2 ||| 40 Entry2 ||| 20 Entry2 ||| 10 Entry2 ||| 50... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FrancoisCN
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - Summing a field based on another field

So, I need to do some summing. I have an Apache log file with the following as a typical line: 127.0.0.1 - frank "GET /apache_pb.gif HTTP/1.0" 200 2326 Now, what I'd like to do is a per-minute sum. So, I can have awk tell me the individual minutes, preserving the dates(since this is a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting file by a field, and then by another field.

Hi all, Sorry the title is a mess, but did not find a better description at the time. So here is my problem: I have an input file: 8:Mass40s -- 0 48:Mass40s -- 0 67:Mass40s -- 0 86:Mass40s -- 0 105:Mass40s -- 0 9:Mass -- 1 49:Mass -- 86... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexis Duarte
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting on two fields time field and number field

Hi, I have a file that has data in it that says 00:01:48.233 1212 00:01:56.233 345 00:09:01.221 5678 00:12:23.321 93444 The file has more line than this but i just wanted to put in a snippet to ask how I would get the highest number with time stamp into another file. So from the above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat4519
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting data in file based on field in another file

Hi, I have two files, one of which I would like to sort based on the order of the data in the second. I would like to do this using a simple unix statement. My two files as follows: File 1: 12345 1 2 2 2 0 0 12349 0 0 2 2 1 2 12350 1 2 1 2 2 2 . . . File2: 12350... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasan0
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting based on a field

the below is sorted as it is. the fields that i'm interested in are the 4th and 5th field. i want to sort the based on the 4th field. my past attempt to do this was to do something like this: awk '{print $4}'| awk '{print $1":"$2}' datafile | sort | uniq however, if i do that, i lose... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update value in field based on another field

In the tab-delimeted input file below I am trying to use awk to update the value in $2 if TYPE=ins in bold, by adding the value of HRUN= in italics. In the below since in line 1 TYPE=ins the 117282541 value in $2 has 6 added because that is the value of HRUN=. Hopefully the awk is a start but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to adjust coordinates in field based on sequential numbers in another field

I am trying to output a tab-delimited result that uses the data from a tab-delimited file to combine and subtract specific lines. If $4 matches in each line then the first matching sequential $6 value is added to $2, unless the value is 1, then the original $2 is used (like in the case of line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problem with getting awk to multiply a field by a value set based on condition of another field

Hi, So awk is driving me crazy on this one. I have searched everywhere and read man, docs and every related post Google can find and still no luck. The actual files I need to run this on are sensitive in nature, but it is the same thing as if I needed to calculate weighted grades for multiple... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: cotilloe
15 Replies
Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort(3pm)

NAME
Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort - A Visitor for sorting a Tree::Simple object heirarchy SYNOPSIS
use Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort; # create a visitor object my $visitor = Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort->new(); $tree->accept($visitor); # the tree is now sorted ascii-betically # set the sort function to # use a numeric comparison $visitor->setSortFunction($visitor->NUMERIC); $tree->accept($visitor); # the tree is now sorted numerically # set a custom sort function $visitor->setSortFunction(sub { my ($left, $right) = @_; lc($left->getNodeValue()->{name}) cmp lc($right->getNodeValue()->{name}); }); $tree->accept($visitor); # the tree's node are now sorted appropriately DESCRIPTION
This implements a recursive multi-level sort of a Tree::Simple heirarchy. I think this deserves some more explaination, and the best way to do that is visually. Given the tree: 1 1.3 1.2 1.2.2 1.2.1 1.1 4 4.1 2 2.1 3 3.3 3.2 3.1 A normal sort would produce the following tree: 1 1.1 1.2 1.2.1 1.2.2 1.3 2 2.1 3 3.1 3.2 3.3 4 4.1 A sort using the built-in REVERSE sort function would produce the following tree: 4 4.1 3 3.3 3.2 3.1 2 2.1 1 1.3 1.2 1.2.2 1.2.1 1.1 As you can see, no node is moved up or down from it's current depth, but sorted with it's siblings. Flexible customized sorting is possible within this framework, however, this cannot be used for tree-balancing or anything as complex as that. METHODS
new There are no arguments to the constructor the object will be in its default state. You can use the "setNodeFilter" and "setSortFunction" methods to customize its behavior. includeTrunk ($boolean) Based upon the value of $boolean, this will tell the visitor to include the trunk of the tree in the sort as well. setNodeFilter ($filter_function) This method accepts a CODE reference as it's $filter_function argument and throws an exception if it is not a code reference. This code reference is used to filter the tree nodes as they are sorted. This can be used to gather specific information from a more complex tree node. The filter function should accept a single argument, which is the current Tree::Simple object. setSortFunction ($sort_function) This method accepts a CODE reference as it's $sort_function argument and throws an exception if it is not a code reference. The $sort_function is used by perl's builtin "sort" routine to sort each level of the tree. The $sort_function is passed two Tree::Simple objects, and must return 1 (greater than), 0 (equal to) or -1 (less than). The sort function will override and bypass any node filters which have been applied (see "setNodeFilter" method above), they cannot be used together. Several pre-built sort functions are provided. All of these functions assume that calling "getNodeValue" on the Tree::Simple object will return a suitable sortable value. REVERSE This is the reverse of the normal sort using "cmp". NUMERIC This uses the numeric comparison operator "<=>" to sort. REVERSE_NUMERIC The reverse of the above. ALPHABETICAL This lowercases the node value before using "cmp" to sort. This results in a true alphabetical sorting. REVERSE_ALPHABETICAL The reverse of the above. If you need to implement one of these sorting routines, but need special handling of your Tree::Simple objects (such as would be done with a node filter), I suggest you read the source code and copy and modify your own sort routine. If it is requested enough I will provide this feature in future versions, but for now I am not sure there is a large need. visit ($tree) This is the method that is used by Tree::Simple's "accept" method. It can also be used on its own, it requires the $tree argument to be a Tree::Simple object (or derived from a Tree::Simple object), and will throw and exception otherwise. It should be noted that this is a destructive action, since the sort happens in place and does not produce a copy of the tree. BUGS
None that I am aware of. Of course, if you find a bug, let me know, and I will be sure to fix it. CODE COVERAGE
See the CODE COVERAGE section in Tree::Simple::VisitorFactory for more inforamtion. SEE ALSO
These Visitor classes are all subclasses of Tree::Simple::Visitor, which can be found in the Tree::Simple module, you should refer to that module for more information. ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Thanks to Vitor Mori for the idea and much of the code for this Visitor. AUTHORS
Vitor Mori, <vvvv767@hotmail.com> stevan little, <stevan@iinteractive.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2004, 2005 by Vitor Mori & Infinity Interactive, Inc. <http://www.iinteractive.com> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2005-07-14 Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort(3pm)