Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting based on the second field Post 302780775 by devtakh on Friday 15th of March 2013 05:28:30 AM
Old 03-15-2013
Code:
# sort -k2 testfile

Code:
MARCH6 MARCH2
MARCH2 MARCH326
MARCH9 MARCH4
MARCH1 MARCH5
MARCH821 MARCH7

cheers,
Devaraj Takhellambam

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting on last field

Hello I am trying to sort on the last field and it seems to have lost ideas on what to do. the file am sorting looks like this Tan\da\1223 hey\1234 two\three\think\4579 i want to sort on the last fields (1223, 1234 and 4579). thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganiel24
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find top N values for field X based on field Y's value

I want to find the top N entries for a certain field based on the values of another field. For example if N=3, we want the 3 best values for each entry: Entry1 ||| 100 Entry1 ||| 95 Entry1 ||| 30 Entry1 ||| 80 Entry1 ||| 50 Entry2 ||| 40 Entry2 ||| 20 Entry2 ||| 10 Entry2 ||| 50... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FrancoisCN
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - Summing a field based on another field

So, I need to do some summing. I have an Apache log file with the following as a typical line: 127.0.0.1 - frank "GET /apache_pb.gif HTTP/1.0" 200 2326 Now, what I'd like to do is a per-minute sum. So, I can have awk tell me the individual minutes, preserving the dates(since this is a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting file by a field, and then by another field.

Hi all, Sorry the title is a mess, but did not find a better description at the time. So here is my problem: I have an input file: 8:Mass40s -- 0 48:Mass40s -- 0 67:Mass40s -- 0 86:Mass40s -- 0 105:Mass40s -- 0 9:Mass -- 1 49:Mass -- 86... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexis Duarte
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting on two fields time field and number field

Hi, I have a file that has data in it that says 00:01:48.233 1212 00:01:56.233 345 00:09:01.221 5678 00:12:23.321 93444 The file has more line than this but i just wanted to put in a snippet to ask how I would get the highest number with time stamp into another file. So from the above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat4519
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting data in file based on field in another file

Hi, I have two files, one of which I would like to sort based on the order of the data in the second. I would like to do this using a simple unix statement. My two files as follows: File 1: 12345 1 2 2 2 0 0 12349 0 0 2 2 1 2 12350 1 2 1 2 2 2 . . . File2: 12350... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasan0
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting based on a field

the below is sorted as it is. the fields that i'm interested in are the 4th and 5th field. i want to sort the based on the 4th field. my past attempt to do this was to do something like this: awk '{print $4}'| awk '{print $1":"$2}' datafile | sort | uniq however, if i do that, i lose... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update value in field based on another field

In the tab-delimeted input file below I am trying to use awk to update the value in $2 if TYPE=ins in bold, by adding the value of HRUN= in italics. In the below since in line 1 TYPE=ins the 117282541 value in $2 has 6 added because that is the value of HRUN=. Hopefully the awk is a start but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to adjust coordinates in field based on sequential numbers in another field

I am trying to output a tab-delimited result that uses the data from a tab-delimited file to combine and subtract specific lines. If $4 matches in each line then the first matching sequential $6 value is added to $2, unless the value is 1, then the original $2 is used (like in the case of line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problem with getting awk to multiply a field by a value set based on condition of another field

Hi, So awk is driving me crazy on this one. I have searched everywhere and read man, docs and every related post Google can find and still no luck. The actual files I need to run this on are sensitive in nature, but it is the same thing as if I needed to calculate weighted grades for multiple... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: cotilloe
15 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)