Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris SNMP application for production environment Post 302780731 by kashif_islam on Friday 15th of March 2013 03:49:23 AM
Old 03-15-2013
SNMP application for production environment

Hi

Is there any default/open source snmp application to
send traps
monitor some processes in Solaris
has MIB package available
that can be used in production environment

I am using
SunOS Server1 5.10 Generic_142910-17 i86pc i386 i86pc

If it has a GUI its a plus Smilie

Last edited by kashif_islam; 03-15-2013 at 07:16 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help.. ! Production Env.

Hi ! I want to delete a softlink... with a name.. " -> ALCATEL " FYI:- lrwxrwxrwx 1 infomcm develop 32 Dec 3 2007 COX -> /wlsuite/om/cm/build/sandbox/COX lrwxrwxrwx 1 infomcm develop 33 Jul 21 05:52 WL10 -> /wlsuite/om-cm/build/sandbox/WL10 lrwxrwxrwx 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between development and Production unix servers for a application??

Hi all I am running a major script of my application in development for implementing code changes for process improvement in time. The script runs in production once in a month . It takes 8 hours 30 mins in Production server . what surprice me is , when I run the same script in development server... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
9 Replies

3. BSD

Copying OpenBSD Kernel from a non production to production machine

Hi All, There are few OpenBSD 4.8 servers without compiler installed at my working place. However, sometimes there are some patches released for patching the kernel. My question is: Can I setup a non production OpenBSD 4.8 server as a test machine with compiler installed and use it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lcxpics
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

Sending data from DELL OMSA SNMP and Custom SNMP MIB to same UDP port 161

Hi , Currently DELL OMSA SNMP sends data through default udp port 161.I want my custom SNMP MIB also to send data in the same udp port 161.Whether its possible.If yes where to configure .I tried starting my custom MIB in udp port 161,but it throws port already in use.Kindly guide. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabakar4all
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Sending data from DELL OMSA SNMP and Custom SNMP MIB to same UDP port 161

Hi , Currently DELL OMSA SNMP sends data through default udp port 161.I want my custom SNMP MIB also to send data in the same udp port 161.Whether its possible.If yes where to configure .I tried starting my custom MIB in udp port 161,but it throws port already in use.Kindly guide. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prabakar4all
1 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

net-snmp in production environment

Hi all, is anybody using the net-snmp package in his production environment for a long time now (at least several months) for sending traps and processing them etc.? Any notes on stability and usability? Any description on your environment about amount of traffic ie. number of traps/per time... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

SNMP Problem - SNMP not getting to the agent.

I am having a problem with an SNMP event, and I am not sure where I should be looking to solve this problem. Description: There is an SNMP event in our system that for one reason or another is not getting sent out as an email because it is never getting to our SNMP agent. I see where the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: broberts
0 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

SNMP traps to SNMP server

Dear Champs, I am new to unix, and need to configure linux server to send below traps to a SNMP server. Monitoring TRAP Disk Space Low Monitoring TRAP Memory Low Monitoring TRAP CPU high Monitoring TRAP Admin login/Logoff Please help me how to send this information to my SNMP server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stavar
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to transfer all kernel logs (var/log/messages) to the snmp listener as snmp trap

i am working with embedded system -Dell DCS management sub system. my question is as below: currently we are using linux kernel 2.6.30 build and we have a kernel logs stored to the /var/log/messages path. now we have to transfer all this logs to the specified SNMP target as a part of SNMP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipul_prajapati
4 Replies
SNMP_AGENT_API(3)						     Net-SNMP							 SNMP_AGENT_API(3)

NAME
snmp_agent_api - embedding an agent into a external application SYNOPSIS
#include <net-snmp/net-snmp-config.h> #include <net-snmp/net-snmp-includes.h> #include <net-snmp/agent/net-snmp-agent-includes.h> int main (int argc, char *argv[]) { int agentx_subagent = 1; /* Change this if you're a master agent. */ snmp_enable_stderrlog(); /* If we're an AgentX subagent... */ if (agentx_subagent) { /* ...make us an AgentX client. */ netsnmp_ds_set_boolean(NETSNMP_DS_APPLICATION_ID, NETSNMP_DS_AGENT_ROLE, 1); } init_agent("yourappname"); /* Initialize your MIB code here. */ init_my_mib_code(); /* `yourappname' will be used to read yourappname.conf files. */ init_snmp("yourappname"); /* If we're going to be a SNMP master agent... */ if (!agentx_subagent) init_master_agent(); /* Listen on default port (161). */ /* Your main loop here... */ while (whatever) { /* if you use select(), see snmp_api(3) */ /* --- OR --- */ agent_check_and_process(0); /* 0 == don't block */ } /* At shutdown time: */ snmp_shutdown("yourappname"); } Then: $(CC) ... `net-snmp-config --agent-libs` DESCRIPTION
Our goal is to create a easy to use interface to the Net-SNMP package such that you can take code that you have written that has been designed to be a Net-SNMP MIB module and embed it into an external application where you can either chose to be a SNMP master agent or an AgentX sub-agent using the same MIB module code. Our suggestion is that you use our (or another) SNMP agent as the AgentX master agent and chose to become an AgentX subagent which then attaches to the master. The Net-SNMP package provides a pair of libraries that enables easy embedding of an SNMP or AgentX agent into an external software package. AgentX is an extensible protocol designed to allow multiple SNMP sub-agents all run on one machine under a single SNMP master agent. It is defined in RFC 2741. You will need to perform a few tasks in order to accomplish this. First off, you will need to initialize both the SNMP library and the SNMP agent library. As indicated above, this is done slightly differently depending on whether or not you are going to perform as a master agent or an AgentX sub-agent. CONFIGURATION
If you intend to operate as an AgentX sub-agent, you will have to configured the Net-SNMP package with agentx support (which is turned on by default, so just don't turn it off) Additionally, you will need to link against the net-snmp libraries (use the output of "net-snmp-config --agent-libs" to get a library list) and call subagent_pre_init() as indicated above. COMPILING
In order to make use of any of the above API, you will need to link against at least the four libraries listed above. FUNCTIONS
where to find out more information on them. It is certainly not a complete list of what is available within all the net-snmp libraries. snmp_enable_stderrlog() Logs error output from the SNMP agent to the standard error stream. netsnmp_ds_set_boolean() Please see the default_store(3) manual page for more information about this API. init_agent(char *name) Initializes the embedded agent. This should be called before the init_snmp() call. name is used to dictate what .conf file to read when init_snmp() is called later. init_snmp(char *name) Initializes the SNMP library. Note that one of the things this will do will be to read configuration files in an effort to config- ure your application. It will attempt to read the configuration files named by the name string that you passed in. It can be used to configure access control, for instance. Please see the read_config(3), snmp_config(5), and snmpd.conf(5) manual pages for fur- ther details on this subject. init_master_agent(void) Initializes the master agent and causes it to listen for SNMP requests on its default UDP port of 161. agent_check_and_process(int block) This checks for packets arriving on the SNMP port and processes them if some are found. If block is non-zero, the function call will block until a packet arrives or an alarm must be run (see snmp_alarm(3)). The return value from this function is a positive integer if packets were processed, zero if an alarm occurred and -1 if an error occured. snmp_shutdown(char *name); This shuts down the agent, saving any needed persistent storage, etc. SEE ALSO
http://www.net-snmp.org/tutorial-5/toolkit/, select(2), snmp_api(3), default_store(3), snmp_alarm(3), read_config(3), snmp_config(5), snmpd.conf(5) 4.2 Berkeley Distribution 02 Apr 2001 SNMP_AGENT_API(3)