Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sorting columns for specific values Post 302780381 by Yoda on Thursday 14th of March 2013 12:41:42 PM
Old 03-14-2013
Follow these steps:
  1. Make a copy of this column to another column
  2. Select all data in the new column
  3. Goto Data tab
  4. Select Text to Columns
  5. Specify hyphen - as delimiter
  6. Click Finish
Now you will have a new column with data starting with p
This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting multi-column values from a specific file

Hi, all. I need a shell script which gathers data from a remote XML file and then displays it according to my needs.. I need this for my job due to the fact that I need to keep track price changes of euro, usd, gold, etc. The XML file I am talking about is located at this page: cnnturk dot... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: canimsin
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get values from different columns from file2 when match values of file1

Hi everyone, I have file1 and file2 comma separated both. file1 is: Header1,Header2,Header3,Header4,Header5,Header6,Header7,Header8,Header9,Header10 Code7,,,,,,,,, Code5,,,,,,,,, Code3,,,,,,,,, Code9,,,,,,,,, Code2,,,,,,,,,file2... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
17 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing columns from a text file that do not have any values in second and third columns

I have a text file that has three columns. But at the end of the text file, there are trailing lines that have missing second and third columns: 4 0.04972604 KLHL28 4 0.0497332 CSTB 4 0.04979822 AIF1 4 0.04983331 DECR2 4 0.04990344 KATNB1 4 4 4 4 How can I remove the trailing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting and adding columns

i have a file with two columns, and i want to uniquely sort the values in fist column and add the corresponding values in the second columns eg file a contents tom 200 john 300 sow 500 tom 800 james 50 sow 300 output shpould be in file b as tom 1000 john 300 sow 800 james 50 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dealerso
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print columns matching to specific values

Hello Friends, I have a CDR file and i need to print out 2 columns with their field position which matches to some constant values, a part of input file CZ=1|CZA=1|DIAL=415483420001|EE=13|ESF=1|ET=|FF=0|9|MNC=99|MNP=9041|MTC=0|NID=2|NOA=international|ON=1| OutPut ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in sorting multiple columns

Hello all, I am using printf to print the sorted o/p in my script.I am trying to sort in following way but doesn't work. printf "%13s %2s UDP %15s:%s Program %4s HD: %23s HD: %23s %10s %s %s %3s days %3s hours\n" $encoder $i "${ipaddr}" ${portno} ${progno} ${inres} ${outres} ${inrate}... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramman
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't figure out how to find specific characters in specific columns

I am trying to find a specific set of characters in a long file. I only want to find the characters in column 265 for 4 bytes. Is there a search for that? I tried cut but couldn't get it to work. Ex. I want to find '9999' in column 265 for 4 bytes. If it is in there, I want it to print... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drenhead
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding columns with values dependent on existing columns

Hello I have a file as below chr1 start ref alt code1 code2 chr1 18884 C CAAAA 2 0 chr1 135419 TATACA T 2 0 chr1 332045 T TTG 0 2 chr1 453838 T TAC 2 0 chr1 567652 T TG 1 0 chr1 602541 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plumb_r
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing lines with specific strings at specific columns

Hi I have a file which is tab-delimited. Now, I'd like to print the lines which have "chr6" string in both first and second columns. Could anybody help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_bahreini
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting by columns

Hi, I have a tab delimited columnar file where I want to remove lines wherever two particular columns match. so for this file, I want to toss the lines where columns 1 and 2 match: a a 1 3 a b 2 4 b b 3 5 because there are matches column 1 and 2 in lines 1 and 3, I would like a script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikey11415
2 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-ntx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. -n By default, the column command will merge multiple adjacent delimiters into a single delimiter when using the -t option; this option disables that behavior. This option is a Debian GNU/Linux extension. ENVIRONMENT
The COLUMNS, LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of column as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The column utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY " ; printf "HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
July 29, 2004 BSD