Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Root and non-root user not able to delete the file Post 302780309 by sukhdip on Thursday 14th of March 2013 10:12:56 AM
Old 03-14-2013
Root and non-root user not able to delete the file

Hi!! one strange problem occurred with my RHEL 5 box.
i'm having logs folder with ownership of non-root user. Created some files with root user under logs folder.
here is the scene:
Code:
-rw-r----- 1 root root  1048227 Feb 28 12:34 SystemOut_13.02.28_12.34.10.log
-rw-r----- 1 root root   415920 Mar 14 16:41 SystemOut.log
-rw-r----- 1 root root 20902127 Mar  2 22:15 trace_13.03.02_22.25.53.log
-rw-r----- 1 root root  2579956 Mar 14 16:41 trace.log

I'm not able to delete the files with both users.
Below error is coming up
Quote:
rm: cannot remove `SystemOut_13.02.28_12.34.10.log': Read-only file system
I tried lsattr and chattr, below the output of both:
Code:
------------- /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/xyz/logs/server1/

Code:
chattr: Read-only file system while setting flags on /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/xyz/logs/server1/

Chown and chmod not able to work. Again Read-only file system error is coming up.
Help needed also want to understand the reasons.

Immediate help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete Core file in root directory

HP UX 11i Ok my server is about to run out of space, and i would like to know if there is something that i should be doing on a regular basis to maintain the machine like logs that i should clear or dmp file that i should delete... Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbutler3295
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user able to delete directory owned by root

I've tried to figure this out. I'm only about 6 mos into my AIX admin duties, but I've got a "security" problem I can't figure out. I've created a sub directory as follows: drwx------ 2 root system 256 Apr 13 16:02 mike I've logged in another session with the following user: $ id... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpheine
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to create or delete a directory in /usr with root user

Hi All, I am trying to uninstall jdk 1.5 from my Solaris 10 64 bit but some how was not successful.so tried to delete the folder of jdk from /usr but its throughing error as: Unable to remove directory jdk: Read-only file system Even I tried to create a dir in /usr but its not allowing me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pshah
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run a bash script that logs on as a non-root user and runs script as root

So I have a script that runs as a non-root user, lets say the username is 'xymon' . This script needs to log on to a remote system as a non-root user also and call up a bash script that runs another bash script as root. in short: user xymon on system A needs to run a file as root user and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give root access to non root user?

Currently in my system Red Hat is installed. And Many user connect to my machine via SSH Techia Terminal. I want to give some users a root level access. Can anyone please help me how to make it possible. I too searched on the Google but didn't find the correct way Regards ADI (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a file even root user also cant delete?

Is there any way to create a file in linux that root user also can't delete? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: palani13dec
8 Replies
NEWSYSLOG(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      NEWSYSLOG(8)

NAME
newsyslog -- maintain system log files to manageable sizes SYNOPSIS
newsyslog [-CFNnrsv] [-R tagname] [-a directory] [-d directory] [-f config_file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The newsyslog utility should be scheduled to run periodically by cron(8). When it is executed it archives log files if necessary. If a log file is determined to require archiving, newsyslog rearranges the files so that ``logfile'' is empty, ``logfile.0'' has the last period's logs in it, ``logfile.1'' has the next to last period's logs in it, and so on, up to a user-specified number of archived logs. Optionally the archived logs can be compressed to save space. A log can be archived for three reasons: 1. It is larger than the configured size (in kilobytes). 2. A configured number of hours have elapsed since the log was last archived. 3. This is the specific configured hour for rotation of the log. The granularity of newsyslog is dependent on how often it is scheduled to run by cron(8). Since the program is quite fast, it may be sched- uled to run every hour without any ill effects, and mode three (above) assumes that this is so. OPTIONS
The following options can be used with newsyslog: -f config_file Instruct newsyslog to use config_file instead of /etc/newsyslog.conf and /etc/newsyslog.d/*.conf for its configuration file. -a directory Specify a directory into which archived log files will be written. If a relative path is given, it is appended to the path of each log file and the resulting path is used as the directory into which the archived log for that log file will be written. If an abso- lute path is given, all archived logs are written into the given directory. If any component of the path directory does not exist, it will be created when newsyslog is run. -d directory Specify a directory which all log files will be relative to. To allow archiving of logs outside the root, the directory passed to the -a option is unaffected. -v Place newsyslog in verbose mode. In this mode it will print out each log and its reasons for either trimming that log or skipping it. -n Cause newsyslog not to trim the logs, but to print out what it would do if this option were not specified. -r Remove the restriction that newsyslog must be running as root. Of course, newsyslog will not be able to send a HUP signal to syslogd(8) so this option should only be used in debugging. -s Specify that newsyslog should not send any signals to any daemon processes that it would normally signal when rotating a log file. For any log file which is rotated, this option will usually also mean the rotated log file will not be compressed if there is a dae- mon which would have been signalled without this option. However, this option is most likely to be useful when specified with the -R option, and in that case the compression will be done. -C If specified once, then newsyslog will create any log files which do not exist, and which have the C flag specified in their config file entry. If specified multiple times, then newsyslog will create all log files which do not already exist. If log files are given on the command-line, then the -C or -CC will only apply to those specific log files. -F Force newsyslog to trim the logs, even if the trim conditions have not been met. This option is useful for diagnosing system prob- lems by providing you with fresh logs that contain only the problems. -N Do not perform any rotations. This option is intended to be used with the -C or -CC options when creating log files is the only objective. -R tagname Specify that newsyslog should rotate a given list of files, even if trim conditions are not met for those files. The tagname is only used in the messages written to the log files which are rotated. This differs from the -F option in that one or more log files must also be specified, so that newsyslog will only operate on those specific files. This option is mainly intended for the daemons or programs which write some log files, and want to trigger a rotate based on their own criteria. With this option they can execute newsyslog to trigger the rotate when they want it to happen, and still give the system administrator a way to specify the rules of rotation (such as how many backup copies are kept, and what kind of compression is done). When a daemon does execute newsyslog with the -R option, it should make sure all of the log files are closed before calling newsyslog, and then it should re-open the files after newsyslog returns. Usually the calling process will also want to specify the -s option, so newsyslog will not send a signal to the very process which called it to force the rotate. Skipping the signal step will also mean that newsyslog will return faster, since newsyslog normally waits a few seconds after any signal that is sent. If additional command line arguments are given, newsyslog will only examine log files that match those arguments; otherwise, it will examine all files listed in the configuration file(s). FILES
/etc/newsyslog.conf newsyslog configuration file /etc/newsyslog.d/ newsyslog configuration directory COMPATIBILITY
Previous versions of the newsyslog utility used the dot (``.'') character to distinguish the group name. Beginning with FreeBSD 3.3, this has been changed to a colon (``:'') character so that user and group names may contain the dot character. The dot (``.'') character is still accepted for backwards compatibility. HISTORY
The newsyslog utility originated from NetBSD and first appeared in FreeBSD 2.2. AUTHORS
Theodore Ts'o, MIT Project Athena Copyright 1987, Massachusetts Institute of Technology SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), gzip(1), syslog(3), newsyslog.conf(5), chown(8), syslogd(8) BUGS
Does not yet automatically read the logs to find security breaches. BSD
February 24, 2005 BSD