Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Conversion of flat file to Mainframe file Post 302780251 by mac4rfree on Thursday 14th of March 2013 07:35:30 AM
Old 03-14-2013
Conversion of flat file to Mainframe file

Hi guys,

I have a flat file created by ETL tool.

Now the flat file has 4 columns. 1st column is a Character(17), 2nd Column Character(4), 3rd column is a decimal column and 4th column is also a decimal column.

I have to convert this file into a Mainframe file in the following format.

column1 x(17)
column2 x(4)
column3 S9(comp)
column4 S9(comp-3)

Is it possible to convert a text file to a mainframe (readable) format file in unix.

Cheers!!!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Flat File Conversion Format

Hi all, I've a flat file in this format: = " Record 1 Field1 -> XXXX Field2 -> 9558 Field3 -> 55AA Record 2 Field1 -> YYYY Field2 -> 12345 Field3 -> aa23 " And i want to convert it to (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loobian
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving file from Mainframe to Unix

Hi I m an absolute dummy on UNIX, I m basically a SAP guy. but I require a file which is stored on the mainframe to be moved to Unix application server. I got the following script to do it from someone #! /usr/local/bin/move_prom REMOTE_HOST=158.52.246.30 # Hostname of the remote Mainframe... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaj_99
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

mainframe assembler file into Unix

Hi, I have received a mainframe file ( VSAM file ) . I would like to handle that file in Unix. i.e I would like to take the last record of the file. I have given wc -l <file_name> , it gives 0 lines. Even though It has some lines , it is not giving count exactly. When I gave file <file_name>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thambi
1 Replies

4. Programming

compare XML/flat file with UNIX file system structure

Before i start doing something, I wanted to know whether the approach to compare XML file with UNIX file system structure. I have a pre-configured file(contains a list of paths to executables) and i need to check against the UNIX directory structure. what are the various approches should i use ? I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flat file to csv conversion

Hi Guy's can someone help me in converting the following I have a flat text file which has several thousand lines which I need to convert to a csv it's got a consistent format but basically want every time it hit's txt to create a new line with the subsequent lines comma delimited for example ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: p1_ben
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for Log / Bad file and Reading and writing to a flat file

Need to develop a unix shell script for the below requirement and I need your assistance: 1) search for file.log and file.bad file in a directory and read them 2) pull out "Load_Start_Time", "Data_File_Name", "Error_Type" from log file 4) concatinate each row from bad file as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vb file from UNIX to mainframe

Hi Everyone, Do I need to provide record length as Record length + 4 when I'm transferring a variable block files from unix to mainframe through ftp? For example, I have a file in unix (ebcidic converted) with maximum record length of 100. This works correctly, quote... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: poova
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Flat File Conversion Script

In awk how would I flatten input.txt to output.txt? Input: givenname: Darth sn: Vadar mail: d.vadar@deathstar.com uid: dv12345 orclguid: 1234567890 givenname: Carlito sn: Brigante mail: c.brigante@paradise.com uid: cb12345 orclguid: 2134567890 Output: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: u20sr
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Downloading file from mainframe to UNIX

Hi All , I need a help regarding file ftp ing from mainframe to unix.Our source file is mainframe file.I need to download the mainframe file to local unix server through unix script.If anyone can help me how we can do it through unix script ,it will be really helpful.Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: STCET22
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mainframe SAS JCL to Korn Shell script conversion

Hi All, Please help me to the conversion of Mainframe SAS JCL to korn Unix script. Please share the example from SAS JCL to Korn Unix Script. It be really helpful. Please share the online source also so I can look into it. Thanks, Abhishek (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhishek Tyagi
5 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD