Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help on creating and saving an alias Post 302780193 by RudiC on Thursday 14th of March 2013 04:52:54 AM
Old 03-14-2013
Had you told us what shell you are using, we had had the chance to help you.
E.g. for bash, the set command will set positional parameters, and ! will invoke history expansion (also indicated by the error msg).

For the purpose you have in mind, you don't need the parameters. If you need them, consider a shell function.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

ifconfig: difference between creating logical or alias network interface

Hi guys, I have set up multiple virtual FTP servers on a server through one physical NIC. I believe there are to ways; setting logical or alias ip's. I would like to know what is the difference between setting up a logical ip or setting up an alias ip to a physical network interface? Some links to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaff
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating alias for directory path

I am trying to create an alias for a frequently used directory path by using alias xyz="/proj/dir_name" and then trying to reach a sub-directoy by using cd xyz/abc but I get an error saying " No such file or directory " plz tell me wats wrong with this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasjot31
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

4. Red Hat

Live-cd Saving changes

Hi all, firstly apologies if this is in the wrong category. I have been making livecds (fedora based) and to change eg the background i use below in the ks file. this works fine, however when i install the livecd it loses the changes. How can i make the changes so that they stay when... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewilks
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Creating Alias for FILE

Hello, I need the command to create alias for a file "FILE" (NOT for commands) ? And Is there any difference between creating alias for files and creating alias for commands ? For info, i'm using Solaris 8 Thx, http://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newpromo
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Saving to usb

Greetings. I am trying to save a file to a usb from solaris 10. If I do rmformat, I see my usb, but can't find a location to tell things to save to or figure out how to save/view the files on the disk. Any help/thoughts/etc would be appreciated. Thanks! ~K (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuriosity_prime
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating .../ alias in bash

I want to create an alias as follows but is not working alias ../='cd ../' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Creating a .profile, displaying system variables, and creating an alias

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Here is what I am supposed to do, word for word from my assignment page: 1. Create/modify and print a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagst3r21
2 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Having trouble creating an alias for grep

Hi, I'm using Mac 10.9.1. I would like to create an alias for grep so that it won't print out messages like "grep: /Users/davea/workspace/myproject/subdir/: Is a directory" all the time. So in my terminal, I opened ~/.profile and entered alias grep='grep -s' However, when I close and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laredotornado
5 Replies
YASH(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   YASH(1)

NAME
yash - Yet Another Shell SYNOPSIS
yash [options] [filename [args...]] yash [options] -c command [command_name [args...]] yash [options] -s [args...] DESCRIPTION
yash is a command line shell that conforms to the POSIX.1 (IEEE Std 1003.1, 2008 Edition) standard for the most part. Actually, it is much more POSIX-compliant than other shell like bash and zsh. yash also has its own features beyond POSIX, such as: * global aliases * random numbers * socket redirections and other special redirections * right prompt * command completion OPTIONS
set - set shell options and positional parameters set [-abefhmnuvxC] [+abefhmnuvxC] [-o option] [+o option] [--] [arg...] set -o set +o The first form enables or disables the specified shell options and/or sets positional parameters to <arg>s. If no <arg>s are given, the positional parameters are not changed. If no options or <arg>s are given at all, a list of all existing variables is printed. To clear all positional parameters, use `set --'. The second form prints the current settings of the shell options in a human- readable form. The third form prints commands that can be used to restore the current option settings later. -h, --help Show this help message and exit -a --allexport Any variable is exported when assigned. -b --notify When the status of a job is changed, it is notified immediately. --notifyle Similar to -b, but only notify during line-editing. Ignored if -b is set. -e --errexit Exit the shell immediately when any simple command returns a non-zero status. +f --glob Perform pathname expansion (globbing). --caseglob Perform pathname expansion case-sensitively. --dotglob In pathname expansion, `*' and `?' match a `.' at the beginning of the filename. --markdirs In pathname expansion, directory pathnames have a `/' at the ends. --extendedglob Enable extended pathname expansion. --nullglob In pathname expansion, patterns that do not match any pathname are removed from the command line rather than left as is. -h --hashondef When a function is defined, all the commands in the function are registered in the command path cache. -m --monitor Enable job control. All jobs are run in their own process group. When the status of a job is changed, the status is reported before the next prompt. This option is enabled by default for an interactive shell. +n --exec Execute commands. This option cannot be disabled in an interactive shell. +u --unset Expand an undefined variable to an empty string. -v --verbose Echo each command to the standard error before execution. -x --xtrace After each command line is expanded, the expanded line is printed to the standard error. +C --clobber Allow redirections to overwrite existing files. --ignoreeof Do not exit when an EOF is entered. This option is effective in an interactive shell only. --braceexpand Enable brace expansion. --curasync, --curbg, --curstop A background job becomes the current job when (curasync) invoked as an asynchronous command (curbg) resumed by the bg built-in (curstop) stopped. (These options are enabled by default) --histspace Do not save lines that start with a space in the history. --posixly-correct Make the shell behave as the POSIX shell. --vi Enable vi-like editing. --emacs Enable emacs-like editing. --le-convmeta Treat 8th bit of input as a meta-key flag (regardless of terminfo). --le-noconvmeta Do not treat 8th bit of input as a meta-key flag. --le-visiblebell Alert with a flash rather than a bell. --le-promptsp Move cursor to beginning of line each time when starting line-editing. (enabled by default) --le-alwaysrp Make the right prompt always visible on the screen. --le-compdebug Print debugging information during command line completion. Options can be disabled by using `+' instead of `-'. For example, `set +a' or `set ++allexport' disables the allexport option. Prefixing `no' to a long option also disables the option. For example, `set --nounset' disables the unset option. AUTHOR
yash was written by Magicant <magicant@users.sourceforge.jp>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). May 17, 2012 YASH(1)