Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Split command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Split command Post 302779979 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 13th of March 2013 03:28:09 PM
Old 03-13-2013
siya,
Your description of what you are trying to do is not at all clear. Looking at the "required result" in message #4 in this thread, I'm guessing that you want to replace PH01 immediately followed by up to four zeros with string. If that is what you want, the following awk script will do that for you:
Code:
awk 'match($1, /^PH010{0,4}/) {
        $1 = "string" substr($1, RLENGTH+1)
}
1' input

If you are using a Solaris/SunOS system, use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk or nawk instead of awk.

If the file input contains the data specified in message #1 in this thread, the output is:
Code:
string0G0240 P.he_genemodel_v1.0 CDS 120721 121773 . - . ID=PH01000000G0240.CDS;Parent=PH01000000G0240
string1G0190 P.he_genemodel_v1.0 mRA 136867 137309 . - . ID=PH01000001G0190.mRNA;Parent=PH01000001G0190
string278028G0010 P.he_genemodel_v1.0 CDS 27 501.. . - . ID=PH01278028G0010;Description="oereed"
string278104G0010 P.he_genemodel_v1.0 CDS 34 171 . - . ID=PH01278104G0010.CDS;Parent=PH01278104G0010

which matches what you specified in message #4 in this thread.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem in split command

I want to split a file containing millions of records. I am issuing the command split -l 20000 filename which will split the file in 20K records each. It works fine except in some files, data after one particular field is lost( the field with space). Say the record is ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprogrammer
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split command

Can anyone tell me what this command will do? split -b$SPLITSIZE - $file1 < $file2 Will it split file1 or file2? Please explain. Malay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Split Command options

HI! All iam using Split command to split a large .txt file in to smaller files, The syntax iam using split -25000 Product.txt iam getting four output files but not in .txt format but in some other format , when i checked the properties the Type of the output files is Type can any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohdtausifsh
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Split Command in Perl

Hi, I have to split a line of the form 1232423#asdf#124324#54534#dcfg#wert#rrftt#4567 into an array in perl. I am using @fields; @fields=split('#',$line); if($fields eq "1") But this is not working. By using the syntax, the statements in "if" are never executed. Please help.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filenames from split command

Is there an option or a way with the split command to rename the partitioned files with a counter. For example, can the files testaa, testab, testac be renamed to test1, test2, test3 from the split command without explicilty renaming files. Thanks, - CB (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

split command

./myapp | split -b 10m -d -a 1 - "myappLog" here split command is reading the input from the output of myapp and it will write the text in to file where in each file size is 10MB and it will create upto 10 files. I have observed split is flushing the data for every 4096 bytes. if my... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arv600
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change split with another command

hi all, i have problem with my script in unix ...i have script with split -d (--numeric-suffixes) in linux its working but in solaris machine the option -d isn't have so how to i can change split -d (this output) will same in output solaris can i change with awk and how do that thx before (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to split awk command

Hi, There is an awk command in script and it is running successfully. I want to split that command in 2 lines. I have tried using '\' but its not working.. Please suggest me the solution. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanket Dalvi
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Urgent..!!Split command

Hi All, I want to split the file after size gets above 100kb. So I am using below command. split -b 100kb File.txt Test But after first file, my record is breaking as in middle of the record, size of file is getting above 100kb. So after splitting half record is in one file and half... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amey Dixit
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with Split Command

Hi All, I have a txt file which I would like to partition into 2 separate output files. I would like to partition the odd or even groups of 4 lines from the txt file. So I would like lines 1-4 to go to file1, and lines 5-8 to go to file2, and so on until the whole txt file is divided into two... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landrjos
1 Replies
show group(1m)															    show group(1m)

NAME
show group - Shows the members of a group SYNOPSIS
rpccp show group group-entry-name [-m member] [-r [ integer]] [-s syntax] [-u] OPTIONS
Declares the name of a single group member. Indicates that the show group operation recurses. If any members of a group are also groups, their entries are shown. By default, the -r option causes the show group operation to recurse until all nested groups are expanded; for example, -r shows the members of the specified group and all nested groups. You can limit recursion to one or more levels by specifying a decimal integer as part of the -r option. For example, -r 1 shows the members of the specified group and, for members that are groups, the command also shows their members; then recursion stops. Without the -r option, only the members of the specified group are shown. Indicates the name syntax of the entry name (optional). The only value for this option is the dce name syntax, which is the default name syntax. Until an alternative name syntax becomes available, speci- fying the -s option is unnecessary. Updates the local CDS cache copy of name service data (optional). Name service data is cached locally on each machine in a cell. If an rpccp inquiry can be satisfied by data in the local CDS cache, this cached data is returned. Locally cached copies of name service data might not include a recent CDS update, however. If the required data is not available in the local CDS cache, rpccp goes to a CDS server(s) to retrieve the required data. rpccp then updates the local CDS cache. Using the -u option bypasses the local cache, allowing rpccp to go directly to a CDS server for the inquiry. rpccp then updates the local CDS cache. ARGUMENTS
Indicates the name of the target group. For an entry in the local cell, you can omit the cell name and specify only the cell-relative name. DESCRIPTION
The show group command shows the members of a group in the name service database. The entry name of the group is required. Unless it is limited to a specific member (by the -m option), the show group command shows all members. The command shows only the members in the spec- ified group; the -r option enables you to show members of nested groups. Privilege Required You need read permission to the CDS object entry (the target group entry). If you use the -r option, you also need read permission to any nested groups. NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLES
The following example shows all the members of the group /.:/LandS/anthro/Calendar_group, in the order in which they were added to the group: $ rpccp rpccp> show group /.:/LandS/anthro/Calendar_group The following command operates from the system prompt to show a specific member of the group /.:/LandS/dept/Calendar_group: $ rpccp show group > -m /.:/LandS/anthro/Cal_host_2 > /.:/LandS/anthro/Calen- dar_group RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: add member(1m), remove group(1m), remove member(1m) show group(1m)