Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Split command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Split command Post 302779937 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 13th of March 2013 02:07:37 PM
Old 03-13-2013
What makes you think you need to split the 1st column before modifying it?

Why not just modify the 1st 10 characters on the line instead of splitting, modifying the 1st 10 characters on the line, and merging?
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem in split command

I want to split a file containing millions of records. I am issuing the command split -l 20000 filename which will split the file in 20K records each. It works fine except in some files, data after one particular field is lost( the field with space). Say the record is ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprogrammer
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split command

Can anyone tell me what this command will do? split -b$SPLITSIZE - $file1 < $file2 Will it split file1 or file2? Please explain. Malay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Split Command options

HI! All iam using Split command to split a large .txt file in to smaller files, The syntax iam using split -25000 Product.txt iam getting four output files but not in .txt format but in some other format , when i checked the properties the Type of the output files is Type can any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohdtausifsh
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Split Command in Perl

Hi, I have to split a line of the form 1232423#asdf#124324#54534#dcfg#wert#rrftt#4567 into an array in perl. I am using @fields; @fields=split('#',$line); if($fields eq "1") But this is not working. By using the syntax, the statements in "if" are never executed. Please help.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filenames from split command

Is there an option or a way with the split command to rename the partitioned files with a counter. For example, can the files testaa, testab, testac be renamed to test1, test2, test3 from the split command without explicilty renaming files. Thanks, - CB (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

split command

./myapp | split -b 10m -d -a 1 - "myappLog" here split command is reading the input from the output of myapp and it will write the text in to file where in each file size is 10MB and it will create upto 10 files. I have observed split is flushing the data for every 4096 bytes. if my... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arv600
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change split with another command

hi all, i have problem with my script in unix ...i have script with split -d (--numeric-suffixes) in linux its working but in solaris machine the option -d isn't have so how to i can change split -d (this output) will same in output solaris can i change with awk and how do that thx before (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to split awk command

Hi, There is an awk command in script and it is running successfully. I want to split that command in 2 lines. I have tried using '\' but its not working.. Please suggest me the solution. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanket Dalvi
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Urgent..!!Split command

Hi All, I want to split the file after size gets above 100kb. So I am using below command. split -b 100kb File.txt Test But after first file, my record is breaking as in middle of the record, size of file is getting above 100kb. So after splitting half record is in one file and half... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amey Dixit
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with Split Command

Hi All, I have a txt file which I would like to partition into 2 separate output files. I would like to partition the odd or even groups of 4 lines from the txt file. So I would like lines 1-4 to go to file1, and lines 5-8 to go to file2, and so on until the whole txt file is divided into two... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landrjos
1 Replies
array_allocate(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 array_allocate(3)

NAME
array_allocate - make sure array has at least n elements allocated SYNTAX
#include <array.h> void* array_allocate(array* x, uint64 membersize, int64 pos); array x; int64 pos; t* p = array_allocate(&x,sizeof(t),pos); DESCRIPTION
array_allocate makes sure that enough bytes are allocated in x for at least pos+1 objects of type t. (The size of t must be positive; oth- erwise the effects are undefined.) If not enough bytes are allocated (or x is unallocated), array_allocate allocates more bytes, moving the dynamically allocated region if necessary. array_allocate often allocates somewhat more bytes than necessary, to save time later. array_allocate then makes sure that the number of bytes initialized covers at least those pos+1 objects. If not enough bytes are initial- ized, array_allocate initializes more bytes (setting them to 0), up to exactly the end of the pos+1st object. array_allocate then returns a pointer to the pos+1st object; i.e., object number pos, with objects numbered starting at 0. This pointer can be used to change or inspect the object. The pointer can continue to be used through subsequent calls to array_get, array_start, array_length, and array_bytes, but it must not be used after any other operations on this array. If something goes wrong, array_allocate returns 0, setting errno appropriately, without touching x. In particular, array_allocate returns 0 if o x has failed, or o pos is negative, or o not enough memory is available. array_allocate does not change x to have failed; if you want to do that, use array_fail. SEE ALSO
array_get(3), array_start(3), array_fail(3) array_allocate(3)